Sign in to follow this  
gpbarth

DX10 and ORBX

Sorry if this has been covered previously. I've been looking for the topic and can't find the unique question I have. I have been converted to DX10, have Steve's Fixer, and have been enjoying the new FSX that I now have. But I just downloaded and installed ORBX FTX Global (nothing else from them) and in reading the docs, it seems to be telling me to set certain things differently from DX10.

SO - I'm sure there are a lot of youse guys up here who have much more experience with this, and can give me some advice. I particularly noticed something about the FTX 3D lighting and possible problems with DX10, and I do not want to muck up my DX10 stuff if there are solutions to this.

Any input woulkd be greatly appreciated. I'm going over to the ORBX forum to check on this, too.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

if its working for you don't change it

Agree. 100%

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Well, I can't say that it IS working for me right now. I have installed FTX Global, but have yet to go flying hither and yon to see what happens. It was in reading the ORBX docs that I was told to change a lot of FSX settings, including the LOD, that seemed to conflict with DX10. And also a thing about having to change some of the settings to make the ORBX 3D lighting work in DX10.

So before I go mucking around and screw something up, I just wondered if anyone else has tinkered with FTX Global AND DX10 with good results. So I guess I'll fire up one of the low-and-slow favorites in my hangar and do some flying around the patch, to see what happens.

-= Gary Barth =-

I've just checked my setting for Global. There are none! Install it, leave it alone. The only things to worry(?) about are, do you want to use Orbx trees=yes, Hybrid mode=I've NEVER used it. If I'm in an Orbx full fat region and I wander off piste into Global I can barely tell the difference.

So, short story is: Install and forget. If you just think for a moment what Global is, it's a replacement for default.

DX10 setting are the thing, if you're happy with them, then stop faffing and go flying! :wink:

EDIT: I should add that I have no other texture replacement kit. No UTX, GEX or any other X. Just Orbx and a few individual airports.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Good enuff fer me, Ron!  I'm off to the wild blue yonder!

-= Gary Barth =-