Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

WOW Water cool your GPU

One happy camper here - just installed NZXT Kraken G10 on my Titan X - it was running very hot - had enough of that - was a lot of work but well worth it - I cranked up the clouds and autogen flew for 1/2 hour watching temps never rose above 31 degrees - still can believe it - my temps used to be stupid now amazing - ok heres the real good part sim is butter smooth and no more jaggies day and night - I can zoom out and still no jaggies - this is a must update imo

Here is what I bought

Kraken G10 bracket

Corsair H75 - its a small radiator but doesnt matter this thing is cool as a cucumber - keep in mind the NZXT Kraken needs to have a pump head that is round not rectangular like the wrong one I bought the H80I - dah - brand new for sale now

If anyone needs more info on what to do just ask - it takes some work and patience but the pay off is amazing - by the way bought heatsinks for ram - they wouldnt stay on waste of money and time waiting for them anyway you dont need them as you can see by my temps now

I control the H75 fan speed with ASUS aisuite 3 - my cpu is water cooled with H100I which is controlled by corsair link software

eah4xz.jpg

Rich Sennett

That's a great mod, guess my 970gtx just can't hold a candle to that titan tho! Now my 4790k, that didn't just need water, but a full de-lid mod to stay under 70c at 5ghz! Cooler master Nepton 120xl pulling off that job. I seem to recall you are using the same mobo/CPU combo?

That's a great mod, guess my 970gtx just can't hold a candle to that titan tho! Now my 4790k, that didn't just need water, but a full de-lid mod to stay under 70c at 5ghz! Cooler master Nepton 120xl pulling off that job. I seem to recall you are using the same mobo/CPU combo?

Hi I am nowhere near 70 degrees on my cpu at 4.6ghz - yes Maximus VII Formula - 4790k - you really should look into adding water on your gpu its amazing - new it would be good just not this good - I luv corsair water coolers they are excellent - de-lid your a better man then me - no way would I try that 

Here is my rig - kind of I have one Kraken and mounted it into the bottom of case looks much better than off to the front of pc - I have all white rings on updated corsair fans on rear fan and all water cooler fans looks great - just need to mod my side panel to open up more area and add large clear plexi-glass window - they did make them but all gone now and discontinued - at 4:00 you get an idea of my system just not sure how I would add another Titan X with a water cooler (where would I run the power cable for the pump - Maximus has two cpu headers but not three maybe I could use a splitter - not sure)

Rich Sennett

on my cpu at 4.6ghz

Richard was that before or after the water cooler. Why not try to crack 5.0ghz?

ZORAN

Richard was that before or after the water cooler. Why not try to crack 5.0ghz?

Zoran the 4.6ghz has been in service from day one so before - I could do 4.8ghz but not much to gain by doing it so not really worth lowering the overall life of the chip

Rich Sennett

My Intel i5 4690k CPU runs at 4.6Ghz with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO air cooler. Prime95 stress tests indicated a maximum temperature of 75C at full load, although (curiously) Core #3 always seems to be lower than the other three (68C).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Zoran the 4.6ghz has been in service from day one so before - I could do 4.8ghz but not much to gain by doing it so not really worth lowering the overall life of the chip

I was under the impression it was the heat that killed the chip. Im running i2500k at 4.7ghz at between 70-80degc  in FSX -SE and a $50 coolmaster and still going strong after 2 years B)  I will just chuck it out and get another when it blows up but I got throw everything I can at the sim...its a war!

ZORAN

Great Job Rich

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Its voltage that kills the chip IF it gets too hot. Unfortunately I have no idea what those numbers are. My rule is stability must occur at less than 1.4 vcore and less than 74c package temp. After delidding, application of coolaboratory liquid pro under the IHS I was able to squeeze 5.0ghz out of 1.281 vcore at 69c! And the results are noticeable. I'd be happy to share my delidding method, I consider it safer that the ones I've seen on YouTube and so simple.

where would I run the power cable for the pump - Maximus has two cpu headers but not three maybe I could use a splitter - not sure)

Search Newegg for a pwm fan splitter, one of the 4 pins is missing from one of the ends so header doesnt get confused by rpm readings from 2 fans.  I have 4 of them and no fan speed or control issues.

Its voltage that kills the chip IF it gets too hot. Unfortunately I have no idea what those numbers are. My rule is stability must occur at less than 1.4 vcore and less than 74c package temp. After delidding, application of coolaboratory liquid pro under the IHS I was able to squeeze 5.0ghz out of 1.281 vcore at 69c! And the results are noticeable. I'd be happy to share my delidding method, I consider it safer that the ones I've seen on YouTube and so simple.

Interesting overclocking results with such a small over-volting increment ! :Hypnotized:

I'd previously read a general rule that for every 10 degrees Celsius of over clocked and/or under-cooled operation of a chip over the manufacturers specified temperature range, the life of a processor chip is cut in half.

It would be interesting for future reference to know what your method was for de-lidding a processor (sure beats partitioning off the processor socket area and buying tanks of liquid Nitrogen to super-cool chips when over-clocking to run P3d at maximum settings) ! :Nerd:

GaryGB

The question is......what exactly is the "manufacturer's specified temperature range"? Tj Max for my i5 4690k CPU is quoted as 100C in the BIOS, but I can't see that Intel (or anyone else for that matter) would advise anyone to get close to that kind of temperature.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

LN cooling would be a great project. All the tutorials on them interwebs involved a vice, hammer or a razor blade with no visual or physical guidance to avoid breaking off a vrm next to the proc. My method involved a utility knife with detents to allow you to extend the blade just far enough to cut through the glue holding on the IHS. There were no utility knives I could find with the proper detent, so I just took a file to the detent rack inside the knife and created my own. This was the only way I could think of to control the situation without fear of breaking my new processor. I wish I had taken a video, maybe during my next proc removal tomorrow I'll document and post as best I can. At first I tried Gelid thermal paste on the core, and the results were only a 5 degree drop. The only effective product on the core under the IHS is coolaboratory liquid pro, but it has the added hazard of being conductive. So, as advised by countless others, I insulated the vrm's with clear nail polish. Once you are done, no need to glue the IHS back on, just let the socket bracket hold it down so if you need to renew the TIM underneath it will be much easier next time. This provided a 15 degree drop, just enough to stay under my 70 degree temp limit.

YOUR WARRANTY IS NOW VOID!!!!!!

Great Job Rich

Thanks Dave

Search Newegg for a pwm fan splitter, one of the 4 pins is missing from one of the ends so header doesnt get confused by rpm readings from 2 fans.  I have 4 of them and no fan speed or control issues.

Thank you so can I run the two water pump leads to the splitter and then to the cpu header ? not to a normal fan header

Guys I never see my cpu temps go beyond 46 degrees while running P3D - wondering why you have these much higher temps has to be the corsair coolers doing their thing I guess - I use a push and pull method

Rich Sennett

Thank you so can I run the two water pump leads to the splitter and then to the cpu header ? not to a normal fan header

That's correct, however all the fan headers on the maximus vii can work in pwm or DC mode, and they can all be set individually to regulate off of the CPU temp or the mobo temp. All of them are 4 pin pwm capable. But yes, you can easily spilt one pwm header into two fans or two pumps.