Sign in to follow this  
concordeba

PMDG 77W - Consistent VAS issue

Hello,

I think you might be right, when I entered the DEP/ARR into the FMC, I've had a VAS leak. I use Navigraph, so what I will do is completely re-install PMDG 777, as even though I tried what you said. Simply clicking repair hasn't done the job?  Was RJAA (Tokyo Narita?) also one of these airports that caused the Memory leak.   Either way it's definitely something happening once I've setup the FMC.

Robbie, did you take that screenshot BEFORE or AFTER doing the full uninstall and reinstall? 

If you took it before, then you already had the latest version installed. How do I know that? Because it would not have let you enter 325kts on the VNAV CLB page in any previous version except for the latest. In this case, something completely unrelated to the PMDG 777 is causing your leak!!!!

If you took it after re-installing, then you need to attempt the same flight again and report back. Having the latest version installed successfully patches the missed approach related VAS leak.

REPAIR is not the same as update.... REMOVE then install.  Check version in Ops Center to verify you are current.

When you merely click repair (which as we know doesnt successfully update the PMDG 777), and then launch operations center it now tells you that you are up to date and that there are no pending updates!!!

I suspect this is resulting in many "updating" their PMDG 737NG/777 by clicking repair in the new installer and not realizing the update did not actually happen. 

Leo Cal

REPAIR is not the same as update.... REMOVE then install.  Check version in Ops Center to verify you are current.

Like Dan said, COMPLETELY remove the aircraft and reinstall it.  This does indeed sound similar to the bug we discovered, which has since been fixed on the latest, full installer.

Robbie, did you take that screenshot BEFORE or AFTER doing the full uninstall and reinstall? 

If you took it before, then you already had the latest version installed. How do I know that? Because it would not have let you enter 325kts on the VNAV CLB page in any previous version except for the latest. In this case, something completely unrelated to the PMDG 777 is causing your leak!!!!

If you took it after re-installing, then you need to attempt the same flight again and report back. Having the latest version installed successfully patches the missed approach related VAS leak.

That makes perfect sense but I have version 1.10.6492 installed on both aircraft. I think it must be something to do with the fact I just hit repair and didn't do a complete full install.  There only seems to be a VAS leak once I have entered all the Information into the FMC.  Can someone do the same for me? I can send the details I put into the FMC if needed be, and see if they get the same issue.  I sat at EGLL all night and left my PC running - not OOM. I enter data, and the VAS keeps going up.

2.310GB @ 2122z (Start-up) FSX, Heathrow UK2000 V3.06 and latest version of PMDG 77W
2.599GB @ 2154z (Cold mode, but with GPU on) 
2.614GB @ 2204z (In 10 minutes a 0.015gb (15.88mb rise))
2.634GB @ 0653z
2.650GB @ 0729z (after sitting at stand 545 all night)
3.103GB @ 0827z (After setting up FMC)

Regards,
Robbie
Qualified Private Pilot - Check out my YouTube channel!  

The Grandad V2 - Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x KIngston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 2TB WD  Ext SSD | Windows 10 Build 1903 Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 10 Build 19042

I think it must be something to do with the fact I just hit repair and didn't do a complete full install.

I would see if the full reinstall fixes the problem first.

I've been running your described scenario, sitting at the gate for an hour so far.  My VAS usage was 2.3 GB cold and dark, and holding steady around 2.45 GB after powering up and entering FMC data.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Hello,

I've just done the following. Thanks for all your help so far.

• Removed PMDG 777's packages,
  • Removed everything in the PMDG folder.
  • Did a CCleaner of the Registry
  • Re-Installed PMDG 777-200
  • Re-Installed PMDG 777-300
  • Repaired Liveries in folder
  • Re-Installed latest Navigraph AIRAC

Active Sky Evo loaded, FSX loaded, PMDG 777-300 loaded on stand 553 at Heathrow. Engine's shut down (I would prefer it was a cold and dark start all the time IMHO - but haven't quite read how to do this?) - It's raining but VAS is stabled at 2.5GB.  Will leave FSX for 1 hour, then enter all the data, then leave it for a few hours and see what happens.  Since typing this VAS has dropped.

VAS - 0940z @ 2.5GB

VAS - 0944z @ 2.480GB

VAS - 1119z @ 2.721GB

Regards,
Robbie

The Grandad V2 - Prepar3D v4.5 HF2 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) | Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition | Intel i7 8700K 4.7GhZ  | Corsair H115i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler  | nVidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC GDDR5X | Trident Z RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 RAM | 2x KIngston  240GB HyperX 3K SSD | 2TB WD  Ext SSD | Windows 10 Build 1903 Corsair RM Series 750X '80 + Gold' 750W Modular PSU | Windows 10 Build 19042

Again, you have weather and scenery loaded. You need to remove these variables. You're not helping yourself find a cause/solution.

but haven't quite read how to do this?

Intro manual. You'll probably find a bunch of other cool things in there, too. For your convenience, though:

MENU KEY > PMDG SETUP > [Prompts over on the right for panel loading, saving and default states]

Since typing this VAS has dropped.

VAS is dynamic. As Kyle mentioned, the fact that you're running weather means that VAS will be even more noticeably dynamic.

Kyle Rodgers

Sure shoot me an PM with system details etc and I can give you some pointers and tips

I definately need to re-do my CFG, if you fancy helping that would be appreciated. Many years ago I was stuck on Flight Sim and had nothing better to do, now I have been working since I built this PC (The above flight list show's I hardly get the time anymore) - It does need a clean up and to get far better performance.

(...)

a see, this is completely contradictory to what Robert has posted at the top off the General Forum regarding the 777 updates.

I believe you but I can't find what you are referencing and as there are many pages of posts in that thread please point me to the right place.  The behavior of the installer is such that if there is an update then it will act like an update with a message like "updating version xxxx to version yyyy.  I've never seen repair provide that message, but it could be because I have a concurrent FSX/FSXSE installation and the installer will do as Robert mentioned in his first post:  It will say sorry, unable to repair.

Please correct me and point me to the right post. Thanks.

Dan Downs KCRP

Please correct me and point me to the right post. Thanks.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/468253-07may15-updates-released-for-all-777-packages-fsxfsx-sep3d/?p=3234554

I quoted the what-appears-to-be-somewhat-confusing bit below.

PMDG eCommerce Customers:

If you purchased from PMDG, log-in to your PMDG eCommerce account and access your account history.

Download from the account history.

While you are waiting for the download, run the PMDG Operations Center, then close it. (This causes it to take a most-current snapshot of your installed liveries!)

Run the installers, (base package first, then the 300ER expansion!) and follow their instructions. In some cases, depending upon your specific installation options, the installer may tell you it cannot "update/repair" your setup- in which case you simply need to uninstall the 777, then run the new installer.

Run the PMDG Operations Center and go to the settings wheel at the top right. Instruct the OC to update your liveries and reinstall them all, etc.

Go Fly. Have fun!

In my installation (a standard, FSX-SP2 installation - no FSX-Steam - no nutin; :) ), The repair option was present. I suspect is also was for the OP if this thread.

Now, Robert above doesn't mention anything about uninstalling the 777 preceding the upgraded install. The fact that he wants you to run the ops center to 'capture' currently installed liveries kind of implies (to me anyways) that he kind of wants you to keep the 777 installed. I'm pretty sure specific user's liveries and options would be lost from the Ops Center if the 777 was uninstalled.

The language around the "update/repair" is a little vague. Granted, when you run the new installer, you are (typically) presented with two options. Uninstall, or repair. There is no "update" prompt or action. But Robert only states the installer may prompt you that cannot repair, then you have to uninstall - as it's an action only required in that case. Users seeing the cannot repair I suspect are running an even older version of the 777, or as in your case - have two FSX installs and the respective PMDG registry entries.

So my understanding/process was:

- Download new installer from PMDG eCommerce

- During download, ran Ops Center (Noted message that this update to 777 was available - but didn't action anything through Ops Center).

-Closed Ops Center (and didn't have FSX or anything like that running of course)

- Ran new installer (200LRF only - don't have -300)

- Wasprompted with Uninstall or Repair

- Selected Repair

- InstallWizard appeared to do a pretty thorough install of 777 update (For me, it took just as long as I recall the initial install did - appeared to reinstall all the gauge and dll magic...and those pesky large-chunky .DEM files).

- Install complete (or should I say 'Repair') - Installer and stuff closed.

- Ran Ops Center - Was prompted to repair liveries and such - completed that. Version info checked serviceable as current.

- Went on me merry way.

- Re-installed current NavData as installer appeared to install default NavData.

I agree with you regarding an installer providing an "update" kind of message typically - but I'm pretty sure the InstallShield installer PMDG currently uses doesn't support that.

I hope one can understand what I'm trying to get at here. I know my explanation is perhaps as head-scratching as Robert's post ;). The wonders of the written word - so powerful - but so limiting!

I just don't want PMDG to be fighting all this tickets/support regarding existing memory issues when they could nip-it-in-the-bud with a true, full re-install.

I agree with you regarding an installer providing an "update" kind of message typically - but I'm pretty sure the InstallShield installer PMDG currently uses doesn't support that.

Thanks Patrick. The PMDG installer for FSX behaves differently from the P3D installer if you are seeing the REPAIR/REMOVE screen when running the new installer. Very interesting, like I mentioned, the P3D installer does not display the REPAIR/REMOVE screen rather is simply starts updating the installation with the latest version and gives the "updating xxxx to yyyy" screen.  No REPAIR/REMOVE options are available unless of course the installer for the installed version is launched and that's never going to update versions LOL. 

I'll have to revise the advice I give when I give it.... thanks again.

Dan Downs KCRP

We need more platforms so no one will know what they are doing. The pined instruction for installation of a new version will be confusing and everyone passing out instructions will contradict everyone else. We are almost there now. Maybe the DC-6 on XPlane platform will push it over the edge and it will all come down like a house of cards.

Two week after installing the current version I don't even remember the options I was presented with by the installer. I know when I clicked on what appeared to be the logical choice I got the message that I had a newer version installed and it must removed before the current one could be installed.

Gents-

You guys are worrying way too much about the difference between Installer/Repair/Reinstall.

Run the installer and let it do it's thing.  The rate of incidence for failures are so remotely small that they do not warrant consideration in almost all cases.  Our installers are designed to detect a broad array of problems and then account for them.  If it cannot perform a particular function, it will tell you so- and it will recommend a different course of action.

I have seen a few really crazy suggestions on how to determine which version of the product you have installed.  Ignore everything you are told here in this forum related to versions, and simply run the Operations Center and check the version numbers there.  We put that information in there to simplify your lives.

On the original poster's issue:

We need a couple of things from you if we are going to be able to use any of your feedback:

1) Eliminate the variables, as suggested by others.  Especially, turn off the weather.  We recognize that it can make your test flight boring, but the fewer moving parts you have, the easier it is to get good data from the process.

2) Try the flight WITHOUT loading the arrival and WITHOUT loading the approach until you are actually preparing to fly them.  (In the real world, you will load an arrival, but you won't waste your time with the approach until you find out what is happening down there near the end of your trip...)  If you succeed in preventing an OOM, then try it again loading the arrival and the ILS.

3) Please please please stop using the phrase "is definitely <insert the point you are trying to make here>."  You don't have the diagnostic tools or the experience to determine what is definitely happening, and unless/until we actually nail down what you are seeing- it could be almost anything.  (Especially since you are still running huge scenery and weather during the test flights...)

After reading through your posts, it seems to me that you are seeing the item we eliminated a few weeks ago- but it doesn't make sense that you would continue to see it when you are running 1.10.6492.  If find it curious that you are only seeing it in the 77W, since the 77W and the 77L are the same code.  (You noticed you only have a single set of dlls, right?  All of the behaviors are coded in there- and both aircraft use the same dlls/code sets.)  So, we want to determine precisely what it is that you are seeing so that we can either eliminate concerns or get you pointed in the direction of a fix.

Keep the data coming...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Please please please stop using the phrase "is definitely...

This x1000 :)

One other thought for troubleshooting. I would remove the 777 entirely, all liveries, all related saved flights, cockpit states, etc. I would install ONLY the 77L with default AIRAC then attempt it (again, default scenery, no weather, default livery, no AI, no utilities, nada, nothing). Then install ONLY the 77W and try it again. Try it with multiple destinations, selecting no approaches or departures then try it with. Then I would ONLY update the AIRAC and try a variety of destinations.

As Robert said, and from my experience, expect this testing to take DAYS to do properly, so you should probably make some coffee or find some chores to do since you shouldn't be touching your computer nearly at all during testing.

Hello,

Thanks all for your help so far.

1) Eliminate the variables, as suggested by others.  Especially, turn off the weather.  We recognize that it can make your test flight boring, but the fewer moving parts you have, the easier it is to get good data from the process.

I'll run without Active Sky, I very much doubt this is the cause as I've had it years and never had any issues. Obviously I am not sure what's caused the VAS leak, but I'll have a look into running and offline flight quickly. VAS 2.4GB at startup.  

2) Try the flight WITHOUT loading the arrival and WITHOUT loading the approach until you are actually preparing to fly them.  (In the real world, you will load an arrival, but you won't waste your time with the approach until you find out what is happening down there near the end of your trip...)  If you succeed in preventing an OOM, then try it again loading the arrival and the ILS.

I missed this part and jumped ahead as typing, let's see if this works anyway because if it is the old bug, then we know where the issue likely lies. 2.45GB after preparing for the flight and loading the route and DEP/ARR. 

3) Please please please stop using the phrase "is definitely <insert the point you are trying to make here>."  You don't have the diagnostic tools or the experience to determine what is definitely happening, and unless/until we actually nail down what you are seeing- it could be almost anything.  (Especially since you are still running huge scenery and weather during the test flights...)

After reading through your posts, it seems to me that you are seeing the item we eliminated a few weeks ago- but it doesn't make sense that you would continue to see it when you are running 1.10.6492.  If find it curious that you are only seeing it in the 77W, since the 77W and the 77L are the same code.  (You noticed you only have a single set of dlls, right?  All of the behaviors are coded in there- and both aircraft use the same dlls/code sets.)  So, we want to determine precisely what it is that you are seeing so that we can either eliminate concerns or get you pointed in the direction of a fix.

Keep the data coming...

VAS dropped to 2.5 from 2.6 (On departure) once I got airbourne. So so far it's looking good, when I am next available to test flight. I'll put Active Sky on. See if that's the route cause.  Now 2.49 VAS as I leave London.

Regards,
Robbie