Sign in to follow this  
eurowing

airplane handling the same as in FSX?

hi,

i am considering switching to P3D. what i am wondering is how the GA airplanes handle compared to FSX? i am asking because even with addon airplanes in FSX (small props, not airliners), i find that especially when rotating the planes react rather jerky to control inputs.

so my question is if the airplane handling has improved compared to FSX or is it identical?

thanks!

Denis

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Identical!

I don't know which aircraft you are flying, but configuring your controls via FSUIPC, flying with a yoke and using a quality addon, I hardly see any jerking, if even any...

hm that's what i thought.

i am using the carenado C208 for example.

does using fsuipc make a big difference?

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

What controllers are you using?

Fsuipc adds lots of features and flexibility but if you haven't got smooth control without it then is unlikely to fix something that basic.

It sounds more like you have a problem with you setup and calibration or a sticky controller.

Chris

I still use FSX. Most of my GA planes are from RealAir & A2A. I use a Saitek X-52 joystick & rudder pedals. No fsuipc.  The takeoffs are just as smooth as the real thing, which I've also done a lot of.

I flew FSX and 9 for years. I have P3D now with the A2A C 172 and Cherokee 180, and the Majestic Q400, and nothing I have ever flown in MSFS,  and I had a ton of payware aircraft, even comes close to the three aircraft I am flying now. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I flew FSX and 9 for years. I have P3D now with the A2A C 172 and Cherokee 180, and the Majestic Q400, and nothing I have ever flown in MSFS,  and I had a ton of payware aircraft, even comes close to the three aircraft I am flying now. 

Yes, but they fly in P3D just as they did in FSX, right ?  They fly very convincingly, for sure, after all, those are some of the best ever produced add-ons for the MSFS platform...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Eurowing what are you using as a controller? Stick/Yoke?

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Yes, but they fly in P3D just as they did in FSX, right ?  They fly very convincingly, for sure, after all, those are some of the best ever produced add-ons for the MSFS platform...

I fly the 180 and 172 in both sims and they seem identical to me in terms of flight modelling. They are delightful in either setting.

- Bill Magann

Eurowing what are you using as a controller? Stick/Yoke?

saitek yoke. i am not having real problems with that but it could be closer to reality when taking off with GA airplanes... airliners are normally fine.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

saitek yoke. i am not having real problems with that but it could be closer to reality when taking off with GA airplanes... airliners are normally fine.

Default GA aircraft in FSX (and also therefore in P3d) tend to have very yo-yo like pitch control. There is too much elasticity in the reaction to pitch. This tends to be even more exaggerated when taking off, where, unless you set large amounts of up trim, GA aircraft tend to not react to a rotation command, then suddenly pitch up. You then release the elevator and then they pitch back down. This can lead to unintended oscillations in pitch control.

Larger default airliners won't do this so much owing to their larger inertia which damps out this tendency.

Most decent addon aircraft do not display this phenomenon so much where developers have taken steps to minimise the effect, which does indeed tend to display a jerkiness in pitch control. 

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

nice analysis!

yeah i have a carenado airplane that looks great but also has a small jerkiness on rotation, although nowhere near as bad as the default planes. as a matter of fact, i find the default planes completely unflyable.

flying in the real world every day probably makes me even more sensitive to unrealistic response to control inputs. i am not expecting 100% realism, but this jerkiness takes all the fun away. the way it sounds it seems that i should really try out one of the A2A add ons. i just have to decide which platform to use for that because i don't want to pay for the same plane twice ;)

has anyone tried xplane? is it the same problem there?

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

has anyone tried xplane? is it the same problem there?

Good question!

I have been a private pilot (PPL-A) for 12 years and have flown C150/152, C172 (also as floating plane), C210 (pressurized) and Piper PA-42 Cheyenne in RW and spend 6 hours in a B737-300/500 level D sim at Lufthansa.

The first time I tried XP-10 in the beginning of this year's March my impression of the first take-off roll was an eye opener for me: that was like the real thing and not like the MSFS (and derivatives) style.

Sloped (and bended) runways, ice and water with different contamination levels, rotation and flare behaviour, cross wind influences and ground effects. Really: a total different story and absolutely convincing. Not like the ironed runways in other sims...

B)

I really don't see much of a difference between better X-Plane models, and better FSX models, as far as the takeoff run & climb go. I have certain expectations, such as being much like the real thing, and as long as they're met, I'm happy.  Prefer RealAir & A2A. 

Back to the original question, I just tried the default 172 for old times sake, and it wasn't jerky at all.  Could be a combination of long time simming, the Saitek X-52 joystick, flying my real life RV and the Pitts, where I learned not to over control, or perhaps those

little R/C sticks that I also fly..............once again after 20 years away from it.

I tried the default 172 in X plane and it isn't even close to the A2A C 172 for reality. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS