Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Looking for backlit ADF gauge for Flight1 C172

For some strange reason, the Flight1 Cessna172 has an ADF gauge in the 2D panel - not actually incorporated into the panel but as a "pop-up".But it has no ADF gauge in the VC. I have added the same gauge as that used in the 2d panel into the VC -- but unfortunately it is not backlit at night like the ret of the VC gauges. Does anybody know of a suitable backlit gauge that could be used.Please don't ask me to ask this question on the Flight1 forum as they consider there that the C172 is perfect in all regards and accept no criticism - either positive or negative. Thanks Barry

Guest DreamFleet

Barry,VC gauge lighting is not a by-product of the gauge itself, but the VC's night lighting bitmaps. These will need to be modified accordingly. Look at VCL_L.bmp in the 172 texture folder.The reason, not really strange either, that the 172 has the ADF as a pop-up is because most new 172s, as the F1 model is, are no longer equipped with ADF, which is rapidly going out of style in the USA. They did it this way to keep the panel authentic to the one they modeled, while also allowing for an ADF for those who need it. I do not even have an ADF in my Piper Dakota, it was replaced with a Strike Finder.Most new planes rolling off the line today are not ADF equipped, and the ADF is usually the first thing to go when an older panel is upgraded and space is needed. Good luck with the lighting mod. :-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Thanks for that advice, Lou. I will see what I can do.As an interesting aside, I am wondering what a real life buyer of a Cessna outside of the US ( you know, places like Australia, Canada, South America) do when they wish to purchase a new a/c -- ADF's are still very much a feature of the landscape in these places. I guess the answer is probably this - anybody who can afford a new a/c can simply order any navigational addon that they wish. So the "standard" panel would surely be fairly basic and would be "modded" according to wherever the a/c is to be operated. Thanks and regards Barry

Guest DreamFleet

Well, Barry, anyone who can afford a new plane can afford a GPS, which is the current replacement for ADF. That's what is replacing the ADF these days.I take it you can receive GPS satellite signals in Australia, right?I realize that outside the USA, NDBs are heavily relied upon, but the point I think many miss is that GPS can be used instead, and is better. So, why clutter up a panel with two pieces of avionics when one will do.In fact, while I kept the King DME in my Dakota when installing the Garmin 430 (just to fill a space in the new stack), I could have pulled it out also. Thus, one Garmin 430/530 could replace the following:1. A NAV/COM transceiver2. An ADF receiver3. A DME4. A stand alone GPS receiver I doubt few if any new Cessnas and Pipers are being shipped outside the USA with ADF receivers installed. GPS, yes, ADF, not very likely. I do not think Cirrus or Lancair are concerned about where they could squeeze an ADF into their glass panels. Why? They don't need to as the GPS replaces it.The next time you want to fly using the ADF, use the GPS instead, and you'll probably do what I did: Replace the ADF indicator with a Strike Finder, a far more useful piece of avionics for those that fly in weather. ;-)FYI: As of this autumn, all NDB approaches in the USA will be decommissioned. Only a matter of time before other countries follow suit and, in further time, the NDBs themselves will be taken out of service to contain costs.Here's a shot of the stack in my -236. That's all I need to do all my navigation. In fact, the Strike Finder is self contained in the indicator, so it does not require space in the stack.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/121772.jpg A lot of power in just 53 square inches of space! Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest RiddlePilot

>In fact, while I kept the King DME in my Dakota when installing the Garmin 430 (just to fill a space in the new stack), I could have pulled it out also.Now here's a question for you FAR diggers out there. I don't know the answer myself, so I figured I'd start a discussion.DME operates off of slant range, GPS operates off of exact position. Can you legally use a DME readout off of a GPS for a VOR/DME type approach? As far as I know, the actual distances read from each will differ, although not by much.

Hi Barry, I just brought up my ADF in the Flight 1 172. I find that it works in the vc,but you have to click on the right hand bottom screw to do so.(in the VC) Also it works at night. When changing views it does dissappear,requiring another click to bring it back. Also I,ve had to resize it to fit the panel better by shrinking it with the mouse. Kind of a pain,but better than no ADF. Richard

One of the interesting regs is the AIM states that prior to any gps IFR operation you must review appropriate notams before a flight.GPS outages are issued as GPS notams (raim availablity etc.). My asa training software for my kln94 states specifically that "you must review GPS notam's prior to any ifr GPS operation".When I 1st got my ifr gps-I called flight service and asked for GPS notams. The briefer had never heard of this-she had to call a supervisor who had to look it up and had also not heard of it. They said they had never been asked for one ...they finally found them....then couldn't figure out how to read it.I have found the same result with other FSS's, so I have stopped asking. Wonder if anyone else has had the same experience? It seems if your route of flight takes you near a gps outage (notam) they may mention it-but if you specifically ask for them they get confused..http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg