Sign in to follow this  
holl

Prepar3d v2.5 too bright at night

Just switch off HDR if you don't want bright nights. I never use it. Pointless addition to P3D IMO.

I'm not sure it is pointless. I have some aircraft addons where lights look better at night with HDR on. Others are better with it off. Just my personal experience.

Cheers,

Todd

HDR at night when configured for your monitor and personal taste can yeild some incredible results at night. My night in P3d is now wonderfully dark at night, it looks fantastic.

From reading this thread for starters, you need to do some adjustments as everyone's monitor and driver setup is different.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/468105-bloom-adjustments-for-p3d-v25-12945/

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I think that's the point right there, Dave - DEFAULT HDR isn't worth much, but with some subtle mods it's a very, very nice addition - and I know Rob A has already suggested that it should have it's own selectable options. But in standard state, it really is best on in daylight and off at night.

I have Taburet Night 3D Finland installed and it looks incredible with HDR on. I tried with hdr turned off and it doesn't look nearly as good. I was flying last night and looked out my apartment window and this time of the year the clouds are almost as bright white during the night as in the sim. At least here in the north.

I agree that in some cases the HDR looks fantastic, but at night it just too bright. If im gonna be honest even without HDR at night its just too bright. The clouds, wing, runway etc is just too visible. Looks like FSX night without ENB all over again :/

I was using HDR all the time until just recently.  I found it looked good in some cases and other times not so good.  I tried to start tweaking the HDR files but still couldn't get a good compromise.  I found the buildings at night (cities & terminals) and the ground tiles were just way too bright with HDR.  I am using Shade now without HDR and to be honest, the sim looks incredible..  I'm really not missing it at all right now.  The darkness at night is just an inherent problem that was in FSX as well although I think P3D does a better job.  FSX w/DX10 fixer may have been the best combo for a dark night that I have seen.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Is there any other solution you can go with to solve the bright nights?

A few tweaks to the HDR settings and you can have an incredibly dark night experience without it being too dark in the day as well. As I said before, it requires more than just clicking the HDR box in the P3d settings.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Ive set the "avgLuminance *= 4.50f;" and the night is now at the level i would say is "realistic" but now the day is too dark. Is there a way around this?

Ive set the "avgLuminance *= 4.50f;" and the night is now at the level i would say is "realistic" but now the day is too dark. Is there a way around this?

I downloaded and tried these....pretty happy so far

leave here my settings, they will notice a good shine in colors and especially in the night lights.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vub94hmcaiaszkf/HDR.rar