Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

Communication between ground and cockpit

What do pilots talk to the "ground" crew during a normal operation? Is there some software that simulates these situations, ie that you (the pilot) can communicate with the ground crew and do all the standard communication?

Thanks

With FS2Crew you can, and works off voice as well. Not being a pilot I don't know how accurate it is, but I really like it and adds to the realism. Also has de-icing with voice as well!

---

Chris Harries

Teo-

Go through an accurate pushback in any of our products and you will get an idea of the routine that is used during pushback.

There really isn't much communication- and most of it is perfunctory.  A few folks have created environmental programs that add all kinds of discussion between the cockpit and ground- but I think they spend more time chattering than I have in an entire career of flying...

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

What do pilots talk to the "ground" crew during a normal operation?

From several years working ramp, here's a brief rundown of flight deck to ground comms:

OUTBOUND

[Ground notices the APU running and the departure time clock winding down]

-Ground signals (hand) flight deck to pull GPU (and air, though it was implied by the GPU signal).

-Crew confirms by hand signal.

[Ground sees door close and beacon turn on - puts on headset and waits]

-Crew calls "Brakes off, cleared to push [extra push instructions as necessary - tail left/right, east/west/north/south]."

-Ground responds "Brakes off, cleared to push [confirms instructions]."

-Ground calls "cleared to start / clear on one / clear on two" as appropriate for engine start.

-Crew may confirm with "cleared to start / starting one / starting two" as appropriate.

-Ground calls "push is complete, set brakes."

-Crew confirms with "brakes set."

-Ground calls extra items [bypass pin removed, or other items like the person on the ramp holding said item]

-Crew calls "thanks - cleared to disconnect - see ya."

-Ground responds via voice or hand signals (I usually used hand signals since the mic picked up any engine noise, which wasn't pleasant for me, and since I also helped with aircraft relocation, I can vouch for it not sounding too pleasant for the crews either).

INBOUND

-Ground marshalls plane into the spot.

-Crew sets brake, shuts down engines, turns off the beacon.

-Ground places chocks, plugs in GPU, and plugs in low pressure air (air conditioning cart).

-Ground signals (hand) chocks in, GPU in.

-Crew confirms with hand signals.

(The only time I had anything to say with a crew on inbounds was usually heavily laden with sarcasm if I noticed something on the checklist not completed - landing lights, strobes, flaps still down, etc.)

As you can see, it's remarkably similar to what we've modeled and doesn't have all the extra stuff most people expect.

Kyle Rodgers

Having worked with UPS ground operations in Spokane, I can say Kyle Rodger's breakdown is similar to my experience with their procedures.

We marshaled the jet in, signaled that the crew stairs were in place with the "raise air stair" signal and that chocks were inserted. If they took a while in the cockpit, the mechanic would jack in to ask if there was some issue (which often just sped them up getting out of the plane).

On push out, the mechanic jacked in and confirms the bypass pin is still inserted and all the stuff Kyle mentioned, then signaled that brakes were released and the pushback started. Once stopped, the mechanic signaled that the brakes were set and we disconnected the towbar from the pushback, then from the plane (never in the opposite order). Mechanic pulls the bypass pin and waves it to the pilots as the pushback drives off and another guy drags the tow bar back by hand (don't ask, it was a UPS thing). Pilots make a quick flash of the taxi light to signal they're ready to roll and the marshaller directs them off the ramp to the taxi way.

I don't know what all the mechanic says to the pilots since I was in the pushback and between the massive hi-rev diesel in that and the jet engines starting up, I never heard specifics. I just know the mechanic cleared engine starts.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

With FS2Crew you can, and works off voice as well. Not being a pilot I don't know how accurate it is, but I really like it and adds to the realism. Also has de-icing with voice as well!

---

Chris Harries

Yes and no. With FS2 Crew for 777 is not much simulated. Infact, it is annouce the release of Ultimate Ground Crew X wich will simulate the pushing and towing ground operations in a realistic manner, with all aircraft at all airports.

Yes and no. With FS2 Crew for 777 is not much simulated. Infact, it is annouce the release of Ultimate Ground Crew X wich will simulate the pushing and towing ground operations in a realistic manner, with all aircraft at all airports.

I did see UGX, from the same developers as FS2Crew and I am very excited about this, has the potential to be the best out there. I just mentioned FS2Crew because it does have that, and it's the second best add-on I've bought

Thanks all for your explanations!

And what about the refueling procedure and whether the crew has to advise the ground before hydraulic system activation etc?

And what about the refueling procedure

This one I'd have to ask someone else about to verify, but from what I saw, the fueler had the order from the airline and seemingly did their thing and left.

and whether the crew has to advise the ground before hydraulic system activation etc?

I'm really not sure where this came from, honestly. I placate FS2Crew by just saying "yes" every time, but in all the years I worked ramp, I was never asked. We were always taught that if the beacon is on, then the systems may be pressurized (the aircraft itself, or the hydraulics). In speaking with other people, it seems that it used to be a question for older types (former versions of the 73s as an example), but not on modern types.

Kyle Rodgers

The crew don't speak to the re-fuling people, so if you want a bit more realistic activity there then you will need something like GSX, but you don't ask for fuel, as it where. From memory they don't request to active hydraulic systems, but maybe there is a SOP for specific airlines there? The beacon light is the signal to the ground grew that the systems either are on, or will be coming on