Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Flight Director Help

I am a long time user the the PMDG 777 and I am not a pilot so please try to help me out with long time problem.  I know this should be an easy explaination - yet I can't fiind the answer on the forums.

On an ILS approach that I am hand flying, I have the glide slope and localizer captured.  I hit the APP button to to get the flight director to guide me.  I notice that the flight director is in disagrement with the glideslope - If I use the FD - I'll crash - If I use the glide slope/localizer ticks I am right on.  I know the APP is active as the greenlight on APP is lit and the magenta direction "thingy" sweeps to match the runway direction.   What am I doing wrong?

Now if I set up an autoland the FD is perfect.  If I then turn A/P and hand fly it with APP still selected the FD is then perfect.  Maybe that's the solution?

(for the last 3 years - I simply ignored the flight director) - but when I flew the 777 full motion sim, the flight director made it much easier to do an ILS approach with low visibility.

Paul Gugliotta

I know the APP is active as the greenlight on APP is lit and the magenta direction "thingy" sweeps to match the runway direction.

Ignoring the MCP buttons -- what does the FMA say? Do you have LOC | GS annunciated in green on the PFD?

What Simon said... before trying to follow the FD make sure it's going to direct you to where you want to go.

Also, the FD cue is designed to take you to a certain condition such as on course on glideslope...., it is correct to have FD cue centered when you are not on glideslope but are correcting to glideslope in accordance with FD directions.  In other words, the LOC/GS indicators usually do not agree if you are not where you belong.

Dan Downs KCRP