Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Pls Help Me With Video Card Upgrade for GTA V

I just got this game last week and I'm hooked.  Probably the best game I've played so far.

Now, my PC is nothing fancy...  AMD Phenom II 955 @ 4ghz, 8g DDR3, GTX560.

With every graphics setting on "Normal", I get 60fps pretty much at all times, dropping maybe to mid 40's during very heavy scenes like the chase in the benchmark.

Which GPU do you guys think will be a good upgrade so I can run it with most settings on "High" or "Very High"?  I'm thinking the GTX750Ti.  I'm not sure about the 660 because it might be overkill for my CPU, or is this game heavily dependent on GPU?  I'd like to get as close to 60fps average as possible, but I wouldn't mind the 40's as long as the graphics are pumped up.

I have the GTX770 and have no issues, I doubt I could play with 3 screens at 60FPS, but I'm running along fine with 1

Yes me to, I can't comment on the 750, you might struggle to get everything to the max, but you'll get it up pretty high

Thanks.  I'm not really looking to max out the settings.  Just want them all on "High" or "Very High" with 40+fps.  Basically, I just want a nice graphical upgrade from my current settings of everything on "Normal".

Both the GTX 660 and the GTX 750 Ti would be marginal upgrades from your GTX 560. They're not worth the cost, and I'm sure that you'll still be asking for more.

GTA V is a very graphics-intensive game, so it will take advantage of any GPU you throw at it. I recommend that you wait in order to save money, and then upgrade to something that will give you a satisfying performance boost and will be more future-proof. As time goes on, you can get the same performance at a better price. AMD will be releasing their next generation in June which might force NVIDIA to drop their prices.

And you're right about your CPU, which is getting a little dated. A new GPU will give you a good performance boost, but you should start planning a CPU upgrade as well. Games are getting a lot more CPU-intensive nowadays, though with DirectX 12 this might change.

Both the GTX 660 and the GTX 750 Ti would be marginal upgrades from your GTX 560. They're not worth the cost, and I'm sure that you'll still be asking for more.

GTA V is a very graphics-intensive game, so it will take advantage of any GPU you throw at it. I recommend that you wait in order to save money, and then upgrade to something that will give you a satisfying performance boost and will be more future-proof. As time goes on, you can get the same performance at a better price. AMD will be releasing their next generation in June which might force NVIDIA to drop their prices.

And you're right about your CPU, which is getting a little dated. A new GPU will give you a good performance boost, but you should start planning a CPU upgrade as well. Games are getting a lot more CPU-intensive nowadays, though with DirectX 12 this might change.

Thanks for the informative reply, Chaotic.

I forgot to mention, this upgrade would be a temporary thing until I build a new PC (in the next 6 months to a year).  That's why I was only looking at lower priced cards.

Now you've got me thinking.  If I completely wait it out until my new PC build, the graphics will blow me away more than taking small steps to get there.  I mean, my settings are pretty much at minimum now (with "normal" being the lowest allowed in-game).

Hmmmmm.....

I wouldn't bother then to be honest, save the money and put it towards a whole new system

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of doing now.  Will probably go with one of the AMD FX chip and a GTX 9xx for the new build.  Thanks for the help, guys.

You are right, the difference will look better to you when you go straight to a new system, plus you'll be able to put the saved money towards that system as well.

Also, I seriously recommend that you don't go with AMD FX CPUs. They are very old, they consume lots of power, and single-threaded performance is a disaster. Go with Intel, or wait for the Zen architecture if you'd like to get AMD.