Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

The biggest rush in FSX that most don't experience

I've recently started IFR training in real life. For that, I've started doing approaches via approach plates within FSX for practice. 

Yesterday, I flew an ILS approach, finding the IAF only via VOR/DME, flew the 15 DME arc to hit the straight in, and finally intercepting the glideslope at the FAF to decend to the runway. 

When I came out of the clouds 500 feet above, right on the runway, with the lights flashing...it was seriously one of the most satisfying experiences I've had in a simulator. 

My suggestion for those looking for a new challange...put the FMC away and learn to hand-fly some different approaches. Even navigating via victor airways will give you an added challenge and give you something more to do in cruise.

Yeah, it's pretty satisfying to do it old school, although I find doing the same in real life easier than in the sim.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Then do all that online with Pilot Edge - with realistic ATC... It's the missing link to real flight simulation.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah, it's pretty satisfying to do it old school, although I find doing the same in real life easier than in the sim.

Yeah, mainly because 1) planes are easier to fly and trim vs. the sim and 2) turning knobs in real life is easier. 

I have learned the basics of FMC, and even INS. It was fun figuring it out, but then I found myself back to VOR-VOR navigation. My kind of aircraft is generally an old jet or turboprop equipped with a basic autopilot. I always land manually (with mixed reults :P). Some of the older ones can only maintain attitude and not vertical speed, generally there is no auto throttle. NAV mode is rudimentary and maintaining a heading and adjusating manually removes the oscillatory ways of VOR capture mode ...This keeps me busy/entretained during the entire flight, while having the full automagic equipment will allow me to go away and do something else in the meantime... no go!

signature.jpg

Well, two weeks ago I had an opportunity to fly P3D 1.X in a motion simulator. Great experience for hands-on flying. No addon weather, but I could "feel" the plane getting sluggish at low speed. 

Something you don't get in the normal desk seat :)

Got to do 3 touch n go's at EICK (no addon airport),but didn't need it.

Recommend the experience. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Haven,t flown once with a FMC since 2002! Always hand fly.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

You guys might punk on the FMC or automated flying, but it's the biggest contributing factor to why the skies are the safest they've ever been since before there was powered flight.

I'm all for those who like hand flying to get the 'thrill' of being in control, but I also respect using the FMC and proper flight set up so that the autopilot does the brunt of the work. If done correctly, it can be just as rewarding. In short, don't dismiss those of us who enjoy the 'coffee and a danish' style of flying as less fun than those who like to hand fly.

Just my .02.

Good luck with instrument training!! It's definitely a lift off the shoulders once its finally over with. And yes, flight simulator is a great tool to use for practice. My commercial check ride is in a week.. Can't wait to get through it! Then its off to find a job somewhere out there :rolleyes:

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

I remember doing an NDB approach in low visibility in FS9..It was the best experience..  to  see that runway in front of me after a while being in the soup and correcting for wind shift. Seriously.

I should do some NDB approach..I haven't done one in a long time.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

You guys might punk on the FMC or automated flying, but it's the biggest contributing factor to why the skies are the safest they've ever been since before there was powered flight.

I'm all for those who like hand flying to get the 'thrill' of being in control, but I also respect using the FMC and proper flight set up so that the autopilot does the brunt of the work. If done correctly, it can be just as rewarding. In short, don't dismiss those of us who enjoy the 'coffee and a danish' style of flying as less fun than those who like to hand fly.

Just my .02.

It's not about hand flying per se. It's about doing an approach without having a screen telling you were you are every second, with or without autopilot, and having to visualize your location on an approach plate. If someone hasn't experienced it and learned to do it, they should try it at least a few times or they won't understand what they are missing. Flying a VOR/DME approach is easy enough and is so satisfying. 

And places all over the world don't have ILS approaches. So it's not about handicapping one's self just to do it. For most airports, these are simply the procedures you have to do. 

I remember doing an NDB approach in low visibility in FS9..It was the best experience..  to  see that runway in front of me after a while being in the soup and correcting for wind shift. Seriously.

I should do some NDB approach..I haven't done one in a long time.

Thankfully, NDB approaches are almost dead in the USA. I think there are only like five in the US that don't also have a GPS overlay to use. 

It's not about hand flying per se. It's about doing an approach without having a screen telling you were you are every second, with or without autopilot, and having to visualize your location on an approach plate. If someone hasn't experienced it and learned to do it, they should try it at least a few times or they won't understand what they are missing. Flying a VOR/DME approach is easy enough and is so satisfying. 

Well, there has to be a reference of some kind, whether visual or instrument. The essence of IFR is that there’s a "screen" of some kind telling you where you are every second. I don't see an enormous difference between typing in an approach on FMS and watching distance/course/glideslope deviation on LCD or tuning radios and watching needles deviate and DMEs counting down. I also think the differences between VOR/DME or ILS approaches and LNAV or LPV approaches are often over-exaggerated. Sure, it's fun to tune radios, align course needles, and maybe even listen out for morse codes. But with RNAV approaches you still have to account for distance, course deviation, glideslope (if available), DAs, IAFs and MAPs. Still have to read charts closely and scan instruments. It's just a matter of form factor.

That said, I agree strongly about hand flying approaches. Once you feed all the data into the instruments, whether traditional radio or FMS, the act of hand flying the plane as you refer to instruments and charts can help a lot to understand the nuances of every approach, and coordination of inputs. It's very rewarding for me (though rare) when I do a perfectly executed standard rate turn in the soup.     

Yes! Flying approaches old school is awesome, very rewarding.  The A2A Cherokee is an excellent platform for old school stuff.  I like to look for IMC areas and pick a random approach plate off of skyvector.  I usually just use the missed approach procedure for a DP, then fly the approach all by hand.  If it is a GPS approach, I use the GTN650 and leave it on the CDI page, no moving maps needed.  If there is no GPS approach, tune the GTN to the Satellite radio page so there is no 'help' from the GTN.    Fly at night, IMC, or with the eyepoint moved down so the panel blocks the view.  

Obviously in real life it is a really good idea to use all the equipment, ie have the GPS backup the VOR...etc, but since this is a simulator, it is a great opportunity to fly without the GPS crutches.

There are some great challenging approaches out there, like the KMTN VOR/DME 15 approach.

http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1505/pdf/05222VDTZ15.PDF

Since the bay area is often foggy, FTX's KMRY is an excellent airport to shoot approaches with, such as the KMRY LOC/DME 28L 

http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1505/pdf/00271LD28L.PDF

For added challenge, fly a plane with older CDIs, do not use an HSI equipped plane.  This makes the ol grey matter work harder, especially if you have to fly a backcourse procedure turn.

Making the ol grey matter work with this old school instrument flying is a great exercise in concentration.  Not only will you get more out of the modern equipment, you will be very prepared should the modern equipment fail.

Cheers

TJ