Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Runways should look like this at Night

Here's a 1:1 crop from a YT video landing at KPWK Chicago Executive.

Can you even see the runway?  It's pretty tough to see.  It's slightly easier to see when the video is playing but I'd love to see some airport runways like this in the future.

nightrunway.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'll never forget doing my first night cross country into Columbia, SC. Class C airport and I couldn't find the darn runway in the middle of the city lights. Finally spotted them once I was lined up....until I realized I was lined up on the wrong runway  :blush: Thankfully CAE tower was VERY patient.

Chris

It sures takes a trained eye to find a runway. Sometimes even in daylight. I had the hardest time finding some runways when i was getting my PPL. I guess I was expecting them to just load up when i got close enough.  :Hypnotized:

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Very true! Did my first night flight into VNY a few months ago, I am very familiar with the area since I work at the airport, but man did I have a tough time seeing the runway lights. Not as bright as I thought they'd be. This is where GPS comes in handy lol

On my first night flight into Baltimore (KBWI) in the mid-90's I recall how difficult it was to see the airport.  I ended up flying past the centerline by a good couple miles before the controller questioned me!  It is definitely different than it is portrayed in FSX!!  It is especially hard when the airport is nestled in an urban area with a lot of other lights.  I have scaled my runway lights down in my .cfg so they are better, but still not very realistic.

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Funny how a large majority of simmers think that airports are lit up like Christmas trees at night.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I'll never forget doing my first night cross country into Columbia, SC. Class C airport and I couldn't find the darn runway in the middle of the city lights. Finally spotted them once I was lined up....until I realized I was lined up on the wrong runway  :blush: Thankfully CAE tower was VERY patient.

All you need to do is have the tower controller up the approach light intensity. He'll be glad to do it for you! That will light up the r/w for you.  :P

All you need to do is have the tower controller up the approach light intensity. He'll be glad to do it for you! That will light up the r/w for you.  :P

I was going to say!  Want to see a runway lit up?  Fly an approach into a major airport under IFR conditions...mainly low clouds, fog, etc.  It'll blind you.  Especially the approach lights.

All you need to do is have the tower controller up the approach light intensity. He'll be glad to do it for you! That will light up the r/w for you. :P

Ha yeah. You'd hope the CFI sitting next to me would have mentioned that. But then again, looking back on it, I think he was as lost as I was.

Chris

Funny how a large majority of simmers think that airports are lit up like Christmas trees at night.

Because they play MSFS since version 1 until FSX, and never fly the real airplane?

Would be cool if there were a way to get multiple light intensities. And PCL

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I do dream that, someday, lights at night will look realistic...city lights, airport lights...shimmering in the distance.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM