Sign in to follow this  
metalmike

High Terrain escape route charts

Not sure if this is the right forum but oh well. 

I've always wanted to practice a sort of de-pressurization scenario, flying over the Andes or Himalayas or what have you. I've noticed in some JustPlanes programs and such, they have charts that depict escape routes for these kind of scenarios. Are these charts "confidential" and tailored to specific operators, or are they publicly available somewhere? I do not believe Navigraph has these charts. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

https://twitter.com/miami_rick/status/598464083705364480

Are these charts "confidential" and tailored to specific operators

This, I'm afraid -- not least because different operators will have different plans in terms of where they'd like the aircraft to end up in the event of a diversion. Plus, different operators and different types will have different fit-outs in terms of passenger oxygen capability, so it's quite difficult to produce a useful generic document.

I did find some Air India notes regarding escape routes over Iran/Afghanistan on the Web once, and there's a European Alps depressurisation strategy on Smartcockpit, but that's all I've ever been able to find.

Actually, the sample that you linked to is not for depressurisation. What you are seeing is an example of a drift down chart for use with an engine failure over high terrain. It spells out exactly where to divert to in case of engine failure along the length of a particular route segment and based upon the flight performance and terrain clearance assumptions of an engine failure scenario.

For a pressurisation failure over those high terrain areas, the depressurisation charts and procedure are different because you no longer have the luxury of drifting down at a few hundred feet per minute to no lower than your single engine service ceiling as you would in an engine failure scenario. You have to get down to as close to 10,000' as quickly as possible. The depressurisation charts are much more 'random'. There is no specific plan for your flight as you would for engine drift down. But rather, they show your lowest descent ability in each map grid and show a few options to navigate out of that area to lower and lower terrain.

As said already, these charts are company produced materials so you are not going to find them as public material.