Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Night Lighting during Dusk and Down in P3D 2.5

Rob, sorry I invoked 'what looks better to me', I should know better! Objectively, the developer of NE, Chris Bell (above), confirmed that NE is supposed to look as it does without tesselation. Regardless of my own or anyone else's personal view on the matter, P3D therefore does not seem to be rendering NE material as intended, when tesselation is turned on. There, that's what I should have said in the first place! :) Cheers K

Interesting.

Does the dev (or anyone) have some real photos for comparison?

My minds eye is telling me that from 20,000 feet up, the Tesselation On version is perhaps more real world accurate, but I'd love to be corrected.

as per Robs observation, anyones personal cirw on what looks right isnt the point here (apols for breaking that rule myself to start with!)

the issue is just that the rendering by P3D results in differing hues dependent only on whether tesselation is turned on or off...

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

As of right now my Titan X gets horrible frame rates and stutters in 4K res in XP10.35 and that's with A LOT of "eye candy" turned down ... it's as if nVidia forgot that OpenGL still exists for Windows platforms.

But IMO Nvidia also sometimes seems to forget (or doesn't really notice) that there is a program called P3D. Looking at the 352.86 Nvidia driver debate and other problems  with Nvidia drivers in the P3D forum (like e.g. 3D-Vision-2), I can see no advantage using DX technology.

Here is a list of "notable games" using Open GL:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/fini_fly/lists/notable-gamesfranchises-that-use-opengl/31627/

From everything I've read on the XP10 forums, people seem to use very old drivers to get XP10 performing better ... sadly with my Titan X that's not an option as older drivers simply don't recognize my GPU.

They have just released XP-10.36 to deal with a 352.86 Nvidia driver bug... (Which is for sure not an attempt to kill OpenGL from Nvidia's side.)

I'll keep on using XP10 (I have many add-ons for XP10 also) and wait for updates and hope performance improves, it would be nice if LR could approach nVidia and get a profile going and SLI support.

I am sure it will be worth the wait. Austin Meyer (owner of LR) is very interested in 3D vision technology (like Oculus Rift or any other device) and I think they will be the first who offer 3D vision out of the box. And that will be a total game changer regarding graphic hardware (and drivers)...

I found that by enabling HDR, the light intensity of Aerosoft Night Environment lights is reduced to a absolute minimum with almost no visible light at distance. 

In contrast, FTX Night Lights glow like a charm despite having HDR enabled, but this is dependent on the level/amount of autogen, and setting this slider to max can easily bringboth FPS and VAS down to its knees.

As far as I have understood, UTX Night Lighting is also dependent on the level of autogen, right?

Its a real shame with Aerosoft NE lightning, because it looks really good in FSX without any noticeable drop in FPS.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Overlooking KLAX, Santa Monica, Downtown L.A. and SFV

Tessellation OFF (with HDR OFF, this is the intended view)

tessoff.jpg

Tessellation ON (HDR OFF)

tesson.jpg

The screenshots has always looked great. Where's the AI/ATC on the level of FS9/FSX/P3D??? That's the killer for me. Flying around in lonely skies albeit great looking is akin to MS Flight. Flying involves so much more than taking off flying around looking at scenery. There's an interactive world the X-Plane totally misses. Until that's realized I for one see no value in it.

FS++ (MCE) have just released RCv4 for XP-10 and it works great. A new version of "World traffic" for XP-10 will be released "soon". WT 2.0 will have great looking up to date planes like UT2 (or even better) and they will behave "more elegant". If FS++ really fulfills what they say to be "looking at", there might be a fully featured voice recognition multi crew + ATC + interactive AI traffic coming up...

B)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458643-multi-crew-experience-coming-to-x-plane/page-6#entry3239648

I know it's a fault of the Sim platform, but what these night shots are all missing is the "glow" in the atmosphere that an urban area usually has as well as the lights varying a lot more in color/intensity/consistency/twinkle from atmospheric particles, etc

I am sure it will be worth the wait. Austin Meyer (owner of LR) is very interested in 3D vision technology (like Oculus Rift or any other device)

While your enthusiasm for X-Plane is admirable, I think you win today's prize for OT / wrong forum...

I know it's a fault of the Sim platform, but what these night shots are all missing is the "glow" in the atmosphere that an urban area usually has as well as the lights varying a lot more in color/intensity/consistency/twinkle from atmospheric particles, etc

Think you've nailed a very good description of what's missing...I do get a bit of this with DSR enabled, but that is completely a fluke of the AA processing. Wish the night lighting addon interacted better with HDR enabled...

Think you've nailed a very good description of what's missing...I do get a bit of this with DSR enabled, but that is completely a fluke of the AA processing.

Yeah - On XPX I can simulate the glow a bit using RealTerraHaze, but the consistency of the lights is sort of fake looking.  

All of the Sims have the look of "every single streetlight being on and the same brightness, color, etc" - Looks more like orange christmas lights strung all over the landscape unfortunately.

Overlooking KLAX, Santa Monica, Downtown L.A. and SFV

What do you mean, its the intended view? So HDR does not work properly with NE?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

They have just released XP-10.36 to deal with a 352.86 Nvidia driver bug...

Sorry to report that 10.36 didn't help with my stutters ... look at how low my render settings are at the end of this video (4K).

As you can see, the stutters are long and frequent.  I've tried all kinds of settings to get XP10.3x to work well so I'm open to suggestions.  But perhaps start a thread over in the XPlane forum.

But IMO Nvidia also sometimes seems to forget (or doesn't really notice) that there is a program called P3D.

LM have been working with nVidia and the 352.86 drivers include a profile specifically for P3D which also includes SLI support.  In SLI mode there are a few minor graphical issues, but I found about 33% increase in performance for P3D.  You can see the nVidia entries specifically for Prepar3D:

f2f4b8a402786251ad574bc91ce627f5.jpg

I'm hoping LR work with nVidia to get a profile for XP10.  I'm pretty sure my Titan X shouldn't be stuttering like this with such low settings in XP10.

Cheers, Rob.

What do you mean, its the intended view? So HDR does not work properly with NE?

NE does support HDR!

in P3D HDR doesn’t work as intended with many applications; it has nothing to do with NE specifically,

This may help anyone suffering stutters in XPX with new drivers.

Thanks for link Peter, I was aware of the Thread Optimization setting = OFF but that didn't cure my stutters issue.  But that does beg the question why is thread optimization not working with XP10.3x?

Yes it is a funny world that I can get P3D smooth and working well, but I can't get XP10.3x to work well ... perhaps it's a issue with the scenery "Aerosoft's Heathrow for XP10" or maybe a SkyMaxx issue?  Anyway, I posted in the thread you linked, maybe someone will provide some additional insight.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for link Peter, I was aware of the Thread Optimization setting = OFF but that didn't cure my stutters issue. But that does beg the question why is thread optimization not working with XP10.3x?

Yes it is a funny world that I can get P3D smooth and working well, but I can't get XP10.3x to work well ... perhaps it's a issue with the scenery "Aerosoft's Heathrow for XP10" or maybe a SkyMaxx issue? Anyway, I posted in the thread you linked, maybe someone will provide some additional insight.

Cheers, Rob.

I'd try a vanilla install. Definitely have heard of Skymaxx causing issues at times also.