Sign in to follow this  
lukehall

Should I use REX Essentials/Overdrive/Soft Clouds?

Hi there,

I'm slightly confused about REX and P3D (I'm a newcomer to P3D).

One of the major reasons for me changing to P3D is the volumetric cloud depictions. I am already using REX Soft Clouds in P3D and it looks nice but I'm missing the drama of REX Essentials. I have both REX Essentials and Overdrive. If I install either will I still get true volumetric clouds?

If so, is there anything I should know regarding settings, HD, texture sizes etc?

Any advice gratefully received! :-)

Cheers,

Luke

No luke...no volumetric clouds in P3D.Only volumetric Fog.i use the Soft clouds as well and have them set at 1024.best setting me me as they look quite realistic.

make sure you have the volumetric fog option enabled in p3d,and in the REX Essential visiblity configuration part,the 3 boxes there.

steve :smile:

No luke...no volumetric clouds in P3D.Only volumetric Fog.i use the Soft clouds as well and have them set at 1024.best setting me me as they look quite realistic.

make sure you have the volumetric fog option enabled in p3d,and in the REX Essential visiblity configuration part,the 3 boxes there.

steve :smile:

Thanks Steve. I've never been sure if the soft clouds replace the REX Essential textures or visa-versa. Should I install both?

Luke

Hi luke

yes they replace any cloud set that you have previously installed.i have the joint REX4 Soft cloud setup.so i use all the other textures,plus the Soft clouds for my main cloud textures .seems to work really well.do you have REX 4??if so there was a patch that installed the Soft clouds in to it,so it became part of the REX4 interface.

steve

Cheers Steve. I don't have REX4 but it sounds like it might be worth considering at some point. It's too bloody easy to keep throwing cash at this simulator though!  :rolleyes:

Hi Luke

i know what you mean,keeping up to date with the latest software can cost a fortune.i really only bought REX4 because it will be tied in with the REX4 weather engine when it comes out.then they bought out Soft clouds and made that part of REX4.truthfully i will probably never see half of the REX textures that are in the 2 programs.i tend to stick with at the most 3 sets

steve