Here's a screen capture of one of my two prop lever assignments (the left one):

FSUIPC2.jpg

BTW, while I understand where Rob's coming from - basically why complicate something that's fundamentally simple - in my case I control through FSUIPC for everything so that I  1) have all setup in one location and  2) because I had a specific problem with axes which only FSUIPC fully solved.  I very much needed what the manual describes, removing all calibration from FSX and default Windows.  And note the rest of the line after what you put in bold: until the axis input has been through FSUIPC4’s own Joystick Calibration section.  The difference here is simply in who handles the calibration, not what the control ultimately does, and that difference was critical to me.  To be clear, the problem I had was actually related to axes that center (rudder, aileron and elevator), but with my Saitek yoke the first three quadrant levers are actually part of the yoke controller, so I needed to handle that controller through FSUIPC anyway, and also see 1).

I should also note that for A2A GA singles, I use a profile specific assignment for throttle, mixture and prop (on the 182) with the only difference being that the assignment for this axis is PropPitch, rather than PropPitch1 and similarly for the other two axes.

One other possible issue occurs to me - one of the early problems I had when I first moved to FSUIPC was that for some reason or other, the controllers that I'd completely deactivated in FSX would somehow or other magically reactivate themselves and I'd get bizarre results due to the double control.  Double check to be sure your controller is still set to be inactive in FSX.

Hopefully using "Send to FSX as normal axis" will take care of things for you, but I just can't imagine why using FSUIPC to calibrate would mess things up.

Scott

Well, I'm back in the saddle again - everything is working, and I can't tell you why. I deleted (saved) the old FSUIPC.ini file and started over, and assigned everything to FSUIPC calibration with one exception. The throttles (the X55 has 2) were working with the default "Send to FS" choice  - when they were at minimums, they sat at idle in the Duke. In order to get Beta, I had to use the F2 key. So I switched the assignment to Send direct to FSUIPC Calibration, moved the throttles full up and down, left the Delta at 256, went to FSUIPC calibration, and clicked SET. Did this on both throttles.

When I went back to the Duke, I now had full Beta with the throttles at minimums, and full throttle at max. Okay, not too bad. But now I had to set the throttles at idle (there is no detent on the X55) manually, and as I was warming up the turbines, all it took was a slight bump to go into Beta range. During taxi, if I wasn't verycareful, those nasty warning lights on the dash would illuminate, and I'd have to gently bump the throttles back to idle using the warning lights going out as an indication that I was out of Beta.

I'm sure that messing around with FSUIPC will let me set that a bit better, but for now, I went back to the "Send to FS as normal axis" choice, and have set another button on the throttle quad to do the F2 trick - while it's held down, I'm in Beta and when I release it, the throttles go back to idle. I wish there WAS a detent on the throttles, but I'm happy again. I even took the 2 small knob axes on the throttle and assigned them to the condition levers, so at least I can control each one separately. And the props are both working through a single axis - both are assigned as Prop Pitch 1 and Prop Pitch 2 to the same wheel.

So I think I had a problem initially with my FSUIPC.ini file, and now I'm ready to start flying the Duke again. I took it up for a test flight and took off at full flaps (very short runway at 69N), and thought I had brought them all the way up. Heading into cruise I heard and felt a load bump and realized that I still had Flaps 1, or used to. The flaps failed and I couldn't get them up or down. Lesson learned. I fly enough A2A aircraft to know better.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

all it took was a slight bump to go into Beta range

As you have realised, your Saitek hardware is not suitable for setting up the power levers with complete realism. You need to check the 'no beta range' checkbox on the FSUIPC calibration screen. Then you manage the beta range some other way. You can do it with buttons as you have done, but a better way would be to use two additional analog levers. FSUIPC implements full analog reversers that can be assigned to individual axes or to a single axis. In my Twin Otter I use this (these are the yellow levers if you have seen any of my cockpit videos).

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro