Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

Found this after Windows Update

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/suspicious-new-folder-windirsystem32gwx/e3661a2f-93f5-4d7c-a83f-2fcc25ed7ac2

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, never knew I had GWX running in the background using 26% CPU power.  Please follow instructions to disable it or remove the KB update. Thank you M$.

Wondered why my HDD was working hard every few minutes. You can have this running even if you have not joined their "Experience Program"  so check just in case. No damage will occur removing it, and your FS will thank you for it.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Thanks for that alert, Julian. Nice one buddy. Found it in my Windows directory too.

Thanks for that alert, Julian. Nice one buddy.

No problem Rick. Zap it if you have it lol post this in the P3D forum if you like, I don't like posting in there :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

GWX, is that the Microsoft WinX "bloatware"?

EDIT: Yes, it is: GWX = "Get Windows 10"

I had already uninstalled the update that installs GWX; thank you, Julian, for confirming that it was the right thing to do!!!   B)

Edited by olli4740

I found it in

C:\Windows\System32\GWX

do we just delete the folder?

ZORAN

GWX, is that the Microsoft WinX "bloatware"?

EDIT: Yes, it is: GWX = "Get Windows 10"

I had already uninstalled the update that installs GWX; thank you, Julian, for confirming that it was the right thing to do!!!   B)

Sure was Olli, you did the right thing. @26% is a lot of lost HP

I found it in

C:\Windows\System32\GWX

do we just delete the folder?

No. Disable via the method in the link. otherwise it will return next time you update windows

Very odd that it was using so much CPU, must be an issue with the update on your PC. You'll need it to get W10 I presume, but if you're not interested in the free upgrade you can probably keep it disabled. To be honest though, if you're not having an issue with it, might as well leave it (and by that I'm not speaking to OP but to replied)

Typically sneaky of Microsoft to slip this under the radar. Well done, Julian for ferreting this rat out!

Disable via the method in the link.

Julian, which link? There are several in that article.

Those 26% HP can happen with the Windows Trusted Installer, too, after installing other updates and the installer waiting for you to reboot your PC.

Still, another nuisance ...

Yes Olli. I don't like bloatware installed without knowing about it.

Thanks Julian, disabled as advised in the instruction. Microsoft really are their own worst enemy at times. Bill wouldn't have done this!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Very odd that it was using so much CPU, must be an issue with the update on your PC. You'll need it to get W10 I presume, but if you're not interested in the free upgrade you can probably keep it disabled. To be honest though, if you're not having an issue with it, might as well leave it (and by that I'm not speaking to OP but to replied)

It can fire up at any time. it tracks your computer experience. When I shut down P3D  my CPU fan was not spinning down, that's how I found out it was on my machine. Leaving it there is not an option.

Thanks Julian, disabled as advised in the instruction. Microsoft really are their own worst enemy at times. Bill wouldn't have done this!

Your right there Ray

Will MS never learn...sigh...Unless you want to risk the possibility of an automatic "upgrade" to Windows 10 there are two Windows updates which are definitely to be avoided, i.e., KB3035583 and KB2990214. Google either of these for more info.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Typically sneaky of Microsoft to slip this under the radar. Well done, Julian for ferreting this rat out!

Here you go Rick: Go to CP, Admin tools, task scheduler , left pane find widows set up folder then GMX folder. Hightlight in left pane and in turn disable in right pane. About 4 to disable.

"Quote from link"

Rather than uninstalling KB3035583, it seems that the GWXConfigManager and related triggers can be disabled for the time being in the Task Scheduler Library under the sub-library Microsoft/Windows/Setup/GMX, similar to how other similar prompts can be disabled under the sub-libraries "Application Experience" and "Customer Experience Improvement Program Settings", assuming that your preference was to not be opted-in to those programs that collect and feed telemetry information to Microsoft at this stage. 

Microsoft seems to be less than transparent on some of the shenanigans going on currently, even though they may be well-intentioned overall on these issues.