Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Is EVGA 980 okay for upgrade or wait for 980ti

I can upgrade my system from my current 780ti 3gb card to a 980 4gb card. Should I opt for one of the top EVGA 980 cards available now, or is it worth it to wait for the upcoming 980ti?

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

My advice is to wait. The 980ti is rumored to have the identical core of titanx, with 6gb of vram. Also price point is rumored to be $699, so should hit a flightsim sweet spot. I'm waiting to trade my 970 to 980ti, if it comes out in time!

Thanks for the advice. What do you do with the old card? Can it be sold?

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Evga has a trade-up program. Within 90 days of purchase of a card from them, you can trade up and pay the difference. Its a good deal.

So theoretically you can buy the 980 now, and when the 980ti comes out you can trade up the card and just pay the difference, within 90 days.

Thanks for the advice. What do you do with the old card? Can it be sold?

You will most certainly be able to sell on your 780Ti as it's performance is still impressive and would make a good upgrade choice for someone with a GTX680 or lesser card. If you have an EVGA 780Ti then even better as the warranty is transferable making it more attractive to a potential buyer. Check eBay for the kind of prices that the cards are selling for.

If you do decided to grab the 980 now, you must register the product AND register for the trade up program on EVGA website within 14 days. Good luck on your purchase!

I might add also that if you miss the 14 day registration cut-off, you have the option of buying an extended warranty within 90 days. This will allow you to trade up:)