Sign in to follow this  
p51mustangguy

PMDG future projects?

10 hours ago, commandantyuuki said:

Hey, Why not the brand new 787-8 or 9 ? That will bring some real new product with the real trend, or more in the future, another expansion of Boeing 777 for the 777X ? Why not, that should be damn cool to fly, a dreamliner, I would dream of it ....:)

Its okay to dream, but do not expect one from PMDG as QW is close to done with theirs.

15 hours ago, ammannn said:

PMDG seems behind in the times so lets get back back to basics...the Wright Flyer

Interestingly, I spent the weekend only a few miles away from where the Wright Brothers took their first powered flight.

CONSPIRACY THEORES, COMMENCE!

Kyle Rodgers

My guess is likely a 737 MAX expansion pack. Wouldn't involve too much change on top of the base 737 pack - more than doing the 777-200ER however. 

Something other than a late 80s/mid-90s boeing would be nice too.

10 minutes ago, Blythyvxr said:

Wouldn't involve too much change on top of the base 737 pack - more than doing the 777-200ER however. 

I just love, when people utter opinions regarding the developmental load. It always appears like they know everything, when in fact, they no nothing about it... 

It's kinda mystifying to me, that you seem to have such a firm grasp and insight into the PMDG developmental structure, that you can throw facts around, regarding how much work it takes to develop an addon. Unless you're employed as a programmer for PMDG, in which case I apologize, of course.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I have so many addons to play with, instead of sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation of an announcement like I used to I just wait to be pleasantly surprised.  Must be my age lol.

\Robert Hamlich/

17 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

*Puts on 747 sized tin-foil nose cap...*

Let the conspiring begin!

22 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Interestingly, I spent the weekend only a few miles away from where the Wright Brothers took their first powered flight.

I called it a while ago. Please add realistic bug splatter effects in VC mode. 

On 9/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, Anders Bermann said:

I just love, when people utter opinions regarding the developmental load. It always appears like they know everything, when in fact, they no nothing about it... 

It's kinda mystifying to me, that you seem to have such a firm grasp and insight into the PMDG developmental structure, that you can throw facts around, regarding how much work it takes to develop an addon. Unless you're employed as a programmer for PMDG, in which case I apologize, of course.

I apologise, I didn't clarify my assumptions of the changing content involved when comparing the simulation modelling change from 737 NG to MAX and 777LR/300ER to 777-200ER. Allow me to do so:

first, 777 model:
Cockpit: Largely carryover, some gauge changes for the different engine models.
Engines: Different exterior models, different engine tables.
Wings: small changes to take account of the deletion of the raked wingtips, in both exterior model and flight model. 
Other than that, the vast majority of the simulated systems will likely be carryover.  There may be some parameter tuning to take account for the structural changes. I don't know if the MLG modelling would need to be altered. I appreciate that modelling three engine varients would be time consuming as they have different control methods.

Now the 737 model:
Cockpit: major changes to the main panel for the change from 6 displays to 4 displays. Updated EFIS controls, updated landing gear control, updated fuel control levers. Various reconfigurations of switches.
Engines: Different exterior models, different engine table.
Wings: small changes to take account of the new scimitar wingtips, in both exterior model and flight model
External model: modified nose landing gear, modified APU exhaust/tailcone. Nose landing gear change may have impact with regards to takeoff performance as wing incidence on ground has slightly changed. However I can't be certain of the magnitude of the effect

Oh, and there's 3/4/5 (depending how you view them) different variants to model, both visually and dynamically. Power outputs will vary also.

So on balance, based on my knowledge of the changing content, I reckon the 737 Max is probably more work than 777-200ER.

However, my main point was that doing a variation of an already released product, would be easier than building something new from scratch (such as a 767, MD11, 747 classic, 757, 787, 717 or any other aircraft). I don't need to work for PMDG to make that judgement.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Blythyvxr said:

I apologise, I didn't clarify my assumptions of the changing content involved when comparing the simulation modelling change from 737 NG to MAX and 777LR/300ER to 777-200ER. Allow me to do so:

first, 777 model:
Cockpit: Largely carryover, some gauge changes for the different engine models.
Engines: Different exterior models, different engine tables.
Wings: small changes to take account of the deletion of the raked wingtips, in both exterior model and flight model. 
Other than that, the vast majority of the simulated systems will likely be carryover.  There may be some parameter tuning to take account for the structural changes. I don't know if the MLG modelling would need to be altered. I appreciate that modelling three engine varients would be time consuming as they have different control methods.

Now the 737 model:
Cockpit: major changes to the main panel for the change from 6 displays to 4 displays. Updated EFIS controls, updated landing gear control, updated fuel control levers. Various reconfigurations of switches.
Engines: Different exterior models, different engine table.
Wings: small changes to take account of the new scimitar wingtips, in both exterior model and flight model
External model: modified nose landing gear, modified APU exhaust/tailcone. Nose landing gear change may have impact with regards to takeoff performance as wing incidence on ground has slightly changed. However I can't be certain of the magnitude of the effect

Oh, and there's 3/4/5 (depending how you view them) different variants to model, both visually and dynamically. Power outputs will vary also.

So on balance, based on my knowledge of the changing content, I reckon the 737 Max is probably more work than 777-200ER.

However, my main point was that doing a variation of an already released product, would be easier than building something new from scratch (such as a 767, MD11, 747 classic, 757, 787, 717 or any other aircraft). I don't need to work for PMDG to make that judgement.

You're largely right, regarding the facts of the differences of the airframes. But to be honest, you have no idea, how much work it would take for PMDG, to incorporate those changes. There's an unknown factor hidden in there, which could turn the whole calculation upside down... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471