Sign in to follow this  
c172pilot

could I just have a poor choice in monitors?

Hi all,

So, I have a feeling that my old TV which is acting as my computer monitor is just a poor choice in general. My living room tv is a 46" 1080 HD tv which displays my monitor stuff with great edges, smoothness etc...

However, it's not practical to run a 20ft HDMI cable across the living room every day. So, I have my old college tv which is a Sharp tv (http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Archives/LC22SB27UT.aspx) and I notice that the quality of everything that looks great on my living room tv, is "squished" or jagged edges, blurry and other stuff... Can anyone recommend some settings to use to fix that for this particular monitor? Or, should I go get a 21" monitor? What can be done to rectify this?

Thank you all for your help,

C172pilot

According to the link, this monitor has:

1366 x 768 Resolution

A better choice would be 1920X1080 which is what your other TV likely has..

Bert

You are using the terms TV and monitor as if they are interchangeable when they are not they are both designed for different jobs and whilst a TV can be used as a computer monitor this was not what it was designed for and will not perform as well as a computer monitor when displaying computer output. If your options are to use a TV for your computer output you are going to have to accept the limitations of the hardware. 22" 1080p monitors are relatively inexpensive these days and would do a much better job than an equivalent sized TV.