Sign in to follow this  
dafyddp3d

Structure of rte file

I've searched the forums for this but so far not found anything.

Have PMDG produced any info or documentation explaining the structure of the .rte files used on the 737NGX, 747 and 777 series aircraft.

I believe it was hinted at as far back as 2011........

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/325079-rte-file-format/

Cheers

Dave

Sorry Dave, I've not seen a definition for *.rte in this context.  Google takes you to rte files in the context of GPS devices but not flight simulation. However, if you google "pln to rte converter" you'll get some hits.  What's the problem you're trying to solve?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dan

Sorry for the delay, thanks for the reply.

I was just curious to find out what each line / parameter in the rte file represented (i.e. it's structure), in the hope that I could directly modify the file to insert fixes, waypoints etc, or possibly even write my own editing software.

I'm aware that most flight planning software provide the facility for exporting a flight plan in various formats, and I thought that a simple editor could be quite handy instead of having to run the sim to edit and save through the FMS /CDU, or via a flight planning app.

As I pointed out, the question has been raised before, with a hint that PMDG might issue some documentation, but I couldn't find anything. Since the export facilities are available, someone must know!

Regards

Hi Dave,

I cannot see much reason to go to the trouble of modifying the FPs as the creating programs already have so many parameters that enable you to influence the output. Unless, of course, you have found a reason, as yet unexplored, for doing so. And maybe a request to the author of your flight planning software would be an easier route?

Cheers, R

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

PMDG might issue some documentation

You might get an answer from PMDG Technical Support by submitting a ticket with your question. I doubt if you would since it's not really an issue with one of their products but you can always try. I don't see any answers coming from members of the PMDG Forums since this is beyond their pay grade or knowledge. Good luck in your quest.

You might get an answer from PMDG Technical Support by submitting a ticket with your question. I doubt if you would since it's not really an issue with one of their products but you can always try. I don't see any answers coming from members of the PMDG Forums since this is beyond their pay grade or knowledge. Good luck in your quest.

To be honest, sometimes it's nice to get a ticket that isn't the same as all of the rest. All the same, I've been lurking on this until I have hard data/knowledge for people.

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, I suppose I have to admit it's a bit like a solution without a real problem! Sometimes curiosity gets the better of me!

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, if I ever get to know I'll post it!

Regards

Dave

if I ever get to know I'll post it!

Please do, that's just the kind of stuff that I find interesting.

Dan Downs KCRP