Sign in to follow this  
Tom Wright

Coolsky DC9

Hi,

Thinking of getting the Flight 1/Coolsky DC9 as I'm really into older generation airliners. What are people's views on this product?

Also, I understand it must be navigated using VOR to VOR methods. How do you guys go about flight planning these sort of routes. For RNAV equipped aircraft like the NGX I use Flight Aware which works quite well, but this would be a bit more difficult for the DC9, especially since particularly in Europe a lot of high altitude airways don't use VOR intersections as fixes anymore.

Cheers

Tom

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Since I don't have a real world dispatcher or a program to plan flights for me, I honestly just use the FS Flight Planner for /A navigation. Just make sure you select /A when filing a flight plan so ATC sees that you arent RNAV capable, and the majority of the time they accept your plan the way it is, or sometimes you'll get minor amendments. 

I've flown the CS DC9 for a while, great aircraft!

Hi Tom, The Coolsky DC-9 is a fantastic add-on and I highly recommend it, especially if you are into older generation airliners. It sounds great, flies great and looks great. The DC-9 comes with a Flight Center for everything from aircraft configuration, training videos, load manager, failures and ground equipment.

With this particular aircraft I do fly it strictly via VOR routes. As I understand your in Europe and as you mentioned a lot of current routes no longer use VOR intersections. However here in the US, they are still in use and most of the DC-9's in the air today still will have VOR routes that you can see in Flight Aware. I also use skyvector.com for making my own or modifying routes and it seems at a quick glance, they have Europe covered as well.

One thing I would like to point out is the DC-9 comes with a Navigation Simulator which can assist in navigation via VOR's and NDB's. It has a lot of settings and filters to your liking. Clicking on a VOR or NDB in the moving map will auto-tune them to your radios which is nice. I  have never tried it but I also believe you can import an FSX flight plan to the Navigation Center and it will draw the route. 

I do not own the Flight1 GTN 650 or 750 although I do want it...I'm sure it would be great assistance to the DC-9.

Also don't forget about McPhat Stuidios where you can find additional livery packs, DC-9 Cargo Expansion and HD Flightdecks.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Tom, you may also be interested in watching frooglesim's 3 great videos on Coolsky DC-9:

Thanks guys. Skyvector looks very useful.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

One of my absolute favorite planes. Great visuals, great flying, great immersion.

I fly as you would have in the era... VOR to VOR. No add-on GPS although it would likely be retro-fitted with it today.

I plan all my flights on Skyvector. I do a flight plan with the departure and arrival airports and just drag the magenta line to VORs along the route. Works great! And makes it a bit more challenge to fly.

I cant recommend this plane enough. A great break from the world-class PMDG 737 when I want to go retro.

Eddie
KABQ

Just as a contrast to the views about VOR to VOR flying;  I fly the Coolsky DC-9 a lot, but I fly it in more of a present day context (cargo operations in Alaska for Everts Air).  

In that context, a GPS-based FMS system would always be employed, and I have added the Friendly Panels addon FMS to my Coolsky DC-9.   It's actually just a "default GPS masked" based FMC, but it makes things more realistic to have that as a pop up, rather than the default FS GPS's, which you'd only find in General Aviation aircraft.

The DC-9 follows the FP FMS route perfectly (just switch to GPS on the DC-9s GPS/NAV switch, or use the FS shortcut as I do), then set the DC-9's autopilot to "Nav".

Does anyone here have the steam edition hotfix on their computer they'd be willing to share? For some reason I am never able to get access to Flight 1 forums, and it's nothing but a weeklong ticketfest with their customer support before I wind up having to get a refund. I would really love to be able to fly this bird - but looks like my decision to move on to FSX SE after win 10 upgrade put me in a bad spot for this one.

Hi Craig,

I know this comes somewhat late,but I am very interested in your panel config for the Coolsky DC9

with the Friendly Panels FMC added.I own both but have been unable to incorporate the FMC.
When I apply the suggested panel config change ,my DC9 freezes.I must be doing something

wrong,but I do not know what.Might you be willing to send me a copy of the panel config.?Also,did

you apply this to all 4 panels?

My email:schellekens.e@skynet.be

Thank you!

I wish they'd make an expansion to cover the other variants, or at least maybe the -10 or -50. Sadly, they conceded it's likely to never happen due to lack of interest.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Also wish it would officially support P3D.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.