Sign in to follow this  
Cygnus_X1

P3D v2.5 Blurry Terrain Textures above approx. 7000 ft AGL.

Hmm, thanks for the discussion everyone. Good to know that this is a flaw with the sim and not purely my setup. I'm sure eventually LM will provide a solution, we're lucky that we get the support we do with the platform. 

Did you try some of the suggestions (including the one above and increasing the FFTF) Matthew? I'll post some shots when I get home of how terrain renders on my rig...

Did you try some of the suggestions (including the one above and increasing the FFTF) Matthew? I'll post some shots when I get home of how terrain renders on my rig...

I have not actually, I'm gonna try tinkering around with it now.

Don't know if it will help with the OP question, but there is also a GlobalTerrainView option...

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/getting_started/performance/tuning_guide.html

I'll try that as well.

Blurry terrain drives me bug-****, so I have tried to tune my system (P3D V2.5) to avoid it, at the expense of frame rates.

In that vein, I limit my sim frame rate to 24 (if it's good enough for the movies, it is good enough for me) and spun down my GTX 780 frame rate using NI to 29 (if I could set it to 24 I would!). My thinking, and it has worked so far, is that there is so much to do when constructing a given frame that I need to allocate sufficient time to do it! Generally, in my GA-oriented (versus tube liners) flights I have a nice and smooth flight and have really crisp terrain textures. 

One thing that will drag down performance is if the Airline/GA sliders are set high (I like seeing other airplanes at the airport, but it can be too much of a good thing sometimes), but other than that I run pretty smooth.

It is a balancing act: I have FFTF set at 0.50, and SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT set to 0.45. My understanding is that both of these are the knobs that control how much time is spent processing terrain.

Good luck!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Blurry terrain drives me bug-****, so I have tried to tune my system (P3D V2.5) to avoid it, at the expense of frame rates.

Good luck!

That is really the only solution. Blurry textures result when one's hardware can't keep up with aggressive image quality settings. It's exacerbated by flying faster and lower because the sim only has time to load low resolution scenery textures. It's actually a feature, because the alternative would be a patchwork quilt of high resolution scenery textures and black areas.

The GlobalTerrainView option may help if the user is constantly switching views.

FFTF set too low generally makes texture blurring worse, with the added drawback of autogen trees and buildings not loading at all.

Actually, using FFTF with FPS limiter at 30 provides some good results that eliminate blurries.

Sorry to join the conversation late, I just installed P3D this weekend from a new build i7-4790K and GTX 970.  I have most of the sliders full right and get decent frame which are smooth 25-40 depending upon what plane I am flying.  But when flying low (around seattle), I noticed the looking out the window nearby I can see most of the ground textures are very crisp and beautiful but then there are these splotches where it is blury.  Presently I am using 4096x4096 tiles and have frame rate unlimited.  Is the "solution" to limit the frame rate to 25 or 30 to let the textures "catch up" or is there some thing else at work.

Thanks for any help

Its normal Brett, you will start feeling it once you start using very complex airplanes with a complex sceneries which will force you to drag the slides back to the left due to VAS contraints etc...

Arslan Nouar

Thanks Mooze.....please excuse my ignorance....but what are VAS constraints  (feeling very embarrassed now....lol)

Along those lines...which sliders would likely have the biggest impact...thanks

You don't have to feel embarrassed we are all contineously learning on daily basis, the biggest one for the VAS is the texture resolution 4096 is excesively high especially if you are using complex sceneries and more preceiselly FTX regions and stuff like that, then you can step into the Autogen etc... this is how I do it may be someone else has a different way but definitly the texture resolution is the very 1st step to start with.

Arslan Nouar

Thanks Mooze!  Ill look there first.  Still embarrassed as I don't know what VAS means :-)

There is no solution

I am assuming we all suffer from this as its p3d itself and LM needs to address this!!!