Sign in to follow this  
MBaclawski

Still fighting the A/P

HI All,  Took  V 1.6 up for a quick test and found that the A/P is still not working quite right. I set my ALT for 3500  and it blew right past it even though the CAP was lit up, I Dialed in

a higher ALT and engaged the VS  and once it was at the next ALT I set the   ALT button never lit up, it stayed on ALTCAP  and then wavered +300 -300 and never settled on the  

altitude.  The Previous version  worked for me the ALTSEL would shut off and the ALT would hold the altitude. I also noticed that neither the VS or ALTSEL would move the aircraft up to

the next altitude i selected i had to do it by hand.

Would someone check this and see if your having the same issue, it's no where as good as previous versions .

mb

N517MB-PC-2015-may-24-002.jpg

N517MB-PC-2015-may-24-003.jpg

No problem with 1.6 here. Out of KSEA for 3000 ft and it leveled off just like it should and has been doing with the latest updates.

I, too, seem to have an out of control autopilot. I set the altitude to a specific altitude, then after takeoff, I turn the autopilot on, push the Alt SEl, and the plane starts climbing at 4000+ fpm. It then continues to climb uncontrollably.

Is there something that I am not doing? Using the very latest version.

tony

buffewo is correct, although you wouldn't really use IAS button before takeoff...

The idea is though, after pressing the alt sel button you then have to choose your preferred climb mode (either IAS or VS). So if you want to set it on the ground I would use VS and then set the VS to whatever climb rate you want such as 1,500fpm for example, and after takeoff you would then manually fly following the flight director until engaging the a/p...or if you wait until after takeoff you can use IAS mode and that will cause the plane to climb at whatever rate is needed to hold your current airspeed. I like using 180kias for my climb speed in this plane so I wait until the plane has accelerated to that before I engage the alt sel and IAS buttons.

I find that once at altitude, I set the a/p and it held fairly well for me, although it does waver a bit from time to time but during my small tests the wavering was less than -60 +60 feet using real weather ASN. Note, I was also at a very low alt when testing (7500msl i think). Climb speed always under 200kias by the way (I use around 180).

Ok, I tried the IAS mode and the autopilot worked fine. I'll try the VS mode. I guess the logic of this autopilot threw me off.

tony

I noticed the wavering as well. The plane is surfing +-60ft of selected ALT with a VS altitude of +-1000fpm.

IAS and VS for climb/descent works perfectly for me without any wavering. The AP catches the new ALT than starts holding it with the wave pattern.

Should the "AltSel" light go out and the "Alt" light illuminate when you get to the selected altitude?  My "AltSel" remains illuminated while at the cruising altitude with ver 1.6.

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. An excellent landing is one you can taxi away from."

Bill in Colorado:

Retired

Comm: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

CFI: ASEL/AMEL/Instrument

My ALT SEL light remains on, too. In theory( based on other autopilots), the light should go off and the ALT light should come on.

tony

Bill, the last code code I can recall from last night had it working just as you describe...with the altsel button staying lit instead of the alt. This was supposed to be an intentional fix. Not sure if Mark decided to leave it this way or not but it was all working last night regardless just so you know. I know normally we're all used to seeing only the ALT lit up after reaching altitude...but to be honest I have no idea how it works in the real plane....perhaps it really works this way...or maybe it's the best fix they could find for now...not certain..but the most important thing is that it works. Hopefully it'll do that for now :-)

Having same problem here. AP doesn't maintain altitude. VS go from + 1000fpm to - 1000 fpm when reaching selected altitude.

Real Deraps

Having same problem here. AP doesn't maintain altitude. VS go from + 1000fpm to - 1000 fpm when reaching selected altitude.

Mine is +/-  500 but same as yours, I'm using V 1.5  and having no issues with it. 

I have installed all of the updates and any of the 1.6 versions is giving me problems. I reverted back to V 1.5 and it's fine.  not sure what's up.