Sign in to follow this  
foxfan911

747-400 and FSX Steam edition?

Edit: Just wanted to find out before I dropped the 50 bucks and it find out that it wouldn't work.

I'd wait until the new version of the 747 comes out, honestly. The one currently out there is about a decade old.

Kyle Rodgers

I'd wait until the new version of the 747 comes out, honestly. The one currently out there is about a decade old.

I would Kyle but I really need to practice on the current 747 for an interview (next month). The default one just doesn't cut it.

Hang on, has OP had his question answered yet? There is a bit of thread hijacking going on here

I can't install the 747-400X in FSX Steam either. I now have only the Steam Edition installed, no longer the boxed FSX. When I try to install the 747-400X, I get the following message:

"Installation cannot continue. Your registry does not show a valid FSX installation location."

Then the only option is an OK button. End of the process.

Is there anyway to point to the FSX-SE location?

I can't install the 747-400X in FSX Steam either. I now have only the Steam Edition installed, no longer the boxed FSX. When I try to install the 747-400X, I get the following message:

"Installation cannot continue. Your registry does not show a valid FSX installation location."

Then the only option is an OK button. End of the process.

Is there anyway to point to the FSX-SE location?

Use the Flight 1 Registry repair tool and point it to your Steam installation folder

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks, Tom. After running this tool, I was able to install the 747-400X. However, now when I try to load the plane in FSX-SE, I get the same dll problems others have reported. From what I have gathered on the internet, this problem has been going on for a while, so I don't think it is related to SE. I saw a solution recommended by PMDG on another post, so I will try it later.

Thanks, Tom. After running this tool, I was able to install the 747-400X. However, now when I try to load the plane in FSX-SE, I get the same dll problems others have reported. From what I have gathered on the internet, this problem has been going on for a while, so I don't think it is related to SE. I saw a solution recommended by PMDG on another post, so I will try it later.

Since the 744 installer only knows about FSX Box, you need to manually move the 3 dll entries from the DLL.xml file in the FSX folder to the DLL.xml file in the FSX-SE folder under your appdata\roaming\microsoft folder

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

The problem is that I entirely deleted the FSX Box and all related files, including the DLL.xml file,  before installing FSX Steam. It would be great if I could get those 3 files from a trustworthy source.

Last night I also ran into another problem. After the fix done Registry repair tool, in the process of installing the 747, a box came up stating:

"The following VS2008 Redistributable file is required for this PMDG product."

Then it offered me a choice between repairing VS2008 or something else (don’t remember what – deleting?). Anyway I just closed this box and the installation carried on to an apparently successful end. However when I tried to load the plane, I got these DLL messages.

So I uninstalled the 747 and re-installed it, but this time I chose to repair the VS2008. Not only did I still have the DLL issue, but additionally, with FSX closed and searching on the Internet for a solution, my computer froze and went completely black and dead. I had to manually shut it down (i.e. push the physical button). I then re-opened the computer and a plain black screen with white letters came up stating that Windows had not been shut down properly and offering to repair some file (recommended), which I selected. Once it was finished booting, I ran a full scan with my Avast anti-virus, then another scan with Malwarebytes. Both came up with zero infected file. So I suspect, but not sure, that “repairing” the VS2008 file might have caused this problem with my computer. At this point I decided to follow Kyle’s advice and wait for the next 747 version. Meantime I’ll be happy to play with my 777 and 737NGX.

But, it would be nice if it could be solved!

The way FSX-SE installs is it will install in the same folders as FSX-Box if it is a first time FSX install. If you have or ever had FSX-Box installed, even  you uninstall it, it will be treated as a side by side install putting it's config and xml files in the appdata\roaming\microsoft\FSX-SE folder. The only way to avoid this in this situation, is a complete OS reinstall or a registry cleaner that will remove all traces of FSX-Box. If you have already uninstalled FSX-Box, then that's probably the problem, since the 744 installer no longer has a place to put it's dll entries, since it's no longer there in the original  appdata\roaming\microsoft\FSX folder location. Repairing the the VS2008 shouldn't normally cause an issue, I get this all the time on addon installs.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

The only way to avoid this in this situation, is a complete OS reinstall or a registry cleaner that will remove all traces of FSX-Box.

I can't understand why an OS install is put as an option at all, let alone the first option. It makes it sound like an intractable problem that requires major intervention. This is a minor registry problem, absolutely not worth the time, effort and hassle of a Windows installation.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Why don't you make an installer for the 747 series that supports fsx-se edition?

I ask a simple question and i would appreciate a simple and honest answer.

And please, don't make it look like rocket science...

Dimitrios Dogos

Why don't you make an installer for the 747 series that supports fsx-se edition?

I ask a simple question and i would appreciate a simple and honest answer.

And please, don't make it look like rocket science...

Because it would cost more in development effort than it would generate in customer sales, especially with a new version just around the corner that will be fully FSX-SE compatible.

Simple, honest (and accurate, I believe, though Kyle will correct if I'm off base)

I guess i will wait for 6 months or (much) more considering the PMDGish sense of calendary!!!!!

This is not a joke. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dimitrios Dogos