Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Which parameters in aircraft.cfg to adjust?

Hi. I'm posting here, as this is where the gurus hang out! ^_^

I have spent some days merging all my 737-700s/800s/900s (Scheffel/Posky/TDS etc.) with the FS9 PMDG 737NG panel. Mostly it all works just fine, as far as I have tested, the FMC and A/P controlling the aircraft as with the PMDG planes themselves. I do have one issue though and I'd appreciate some help with this...

With A/P engaged, the Posky -800W responds very, very slowly to turn commands (the Posky -700 is fine). In the aircraft.cfg file, max_bank is set at 25. Adjusting the bank angle in the PMDG cockpit makes no difference. Poring over the AircraftContainer SDK doc, I haven't hit on the solution as yet (maybe I forgot to copy over one of the PMDG parameters - or did so when I shouldn't have??).

Many thanks for any help with this (I am still testing the a/c out, so may ask again!),

Martin

Either with A/P on, or flying manually, the a/c responds very, very slowly to turn commands. In the aircraft.cfg file, max_bank is set at 25. Adjusting the bank angle in the PMDG cockpit makes no difference. Poring over the AircraftContainer SDK doc, I haven't hit on the solution as yet (maybe I forgot to copy over one of the PMDG parameters - or did so when I shouldn't have??).

Hi, Martin,

Possibly Yaw_damper_gain set to 0 if already set to a different value, most likely 1.

If that doesn't work you might try yaw_stability or empty_weight_yaw_MOI. 

Take a look in the original PMDG aircraft.cfg files and see how they are set.

Hope this helps!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks Mike. I am not sure from the above whether you are saying the Yaw_damper_gain should be at 0 or at 1. Either setting (the PMDG is at 0) makes no odds to the banking. Theyaw_stability value is set to 1, as in the PMDG. I can't copy over the [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE] section from the PMDG to the Posky 738, as I then get a PMDG onscreen message saying the CG is not within tolerance and the a/c is unflyable. But I did copy across the Moments of Inertia values, replacing the Posky ones with those from PMDG. The CG looks OK with either the PMDG or Posky values (in Fuel & payload), but neither makes any difference, unfortunately, to the very slow turns with A/P on.

We cross-posted, as I was editing - if I switch A/P off, I can bank harder either way with the yoke... so maybe it's an autopilot issue. I'll look again at the settings in the cfg file - I have copied the PMDG settings across to the cfg, which I assume must be correct, as I am using the PMDG A/P...

Martin

Thanks Mike. I am not sure from the above whether you are saying the Yaw_damper_gain should be at 0 or at 1. Either setting (the PMDG is at 0) makes no odds to the banking. Theyaw_stability value is set to 1, as in the PMDG. I can't copy over the [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE] section from the PMDG to the Posky 738, as I then get a PMDG onscreen message saying the CG is not within tolerance and the a/c is unflyable. But I did copy across the Moments of Inertia values, replacing the Posky ones with those from PMDG. The CG looks OK with either the PMDG or Posky values (in Fuel & payload), but neither makes any difference, unfortunately, to the very slow turns with A/P on.

Hi, Martin,

I did mean Yaw_damper_gain should be set to 0, but it looks like that didn't help.

One thing to consider is which FDE you start from.  You might have fewer problems if you start w/ the PMDG FDE for a given aircraft, and then copy over the contact points, lights section, and possibly the flaps section from the aircraft.cfg file of the plane you want to use for the model (e.g. POSKY).  For the contact points and lights sections, you might have to adjust the longitudinal and vertical parameters if the reference point in the PMDG is different from that in the other aircraft (e.g. POSKY).  PMDG FDEs should be pretty accurate as far as the flying characteristics go, since it's the same aircraft.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

If I can't get this to work, I'll start over again from the PMDG cfg file. I will compare with the 700W, which as I said, does not have this banking problem. I'll post back with any progress. Thanks.