Sign in to follow this  
srborick

The New Faster, Leaner Next Generation Flight Simulator SIM-Posium is Now Available for Your Input

Nope, you completely  misunderstood my very CLEAR posts my friend, though I will admit I was a little bit flamboyant on how I described Outerra (not intentional however as I was typing a lot of data).

I clearly stated directly above your post and above my screenshots the following line, before you started lecturing me:

"Outerra will be interesting to see where it goes on how it achieves the different looking textures by procedural generation."

Before even that post, I clearly posted the following:

"Still it (being Terragen) should look better than trying to make my own fractal based textures that auto-textured the world."

What else does an auto-textured world mean?

I also stated Terragen would use too much hard-drive space.

I could not have been more clear in what I stated, in any form or fashion. You were just looking to lambaste me because I disagreed with you. You either didn't read my posts all the way through, or were so mad about my comments on Outerra that it went right past you.

I could not have been more clear in what I stated, in any form or fashion. You were just looking to lambast me because I disagreed with you. You either didn't read my posts all the way through, or were so mad about my comments on Outerra that it went right past you.

At this point, I am reading with my head tilted sideways like the rca dog, and have no idea on earth what you are talking about. As for being mad,..... try perplexed. So I'm moving on cause' I have no idea where this is heading, and am wondering who's on first.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

OK, then you are not mad and just misread my post and lectured me, no bad feelings here and no reason for you to "move on". I do apologize for insulting Outerra, I didn't mean to, I was just trying too hard to get my point across.

Yes, procedural generation has always had an issue with variations in textures, that's always been the problem with fractal and procedural generation of things. Yes, Outerra did a pretty good job in not making it look that procedurally generated, but I just do not see a Flight Sim World like that, maybe if you want to use that as the default global base textures, then I can understand. It surely would beat what we have today for default world textures, there is no question about that.

That said, I see a Flight Sim World where people create add-ons to make really nice incredible sceneries that look exactly like the real-world, but with ever bit of just a slight bit more POP to them than the real world, yet without the cartoony effect. That is why I like Terragen, just a personal preference really.

You 2 should go around and around in circles using the PM system so we don't have to watch you both chase your tails.

You 2 should go around and around in circles using the PM system so we don't have to watch you both chase your tails.

Fair enough, not sure why I expended all this technical energy into this conversation anyhow...

Since it started out as a potential Flight Sim funding project, and ended up, let's make GTA V combined with World of Warcraft on a 10 mil budget with a fractal texture generator across the entire world, and while we are at it, we can just throw a flight sim in the middle for all you simmers  :)

OK, my point is made :P

I have the same casual interest in this effort as I do in Outerra. But that aside, has anybody looked at the list of games and sims using the two Unigine graphics engines? See anything there that you have used? If the Unigine framework is so great, why don't more shops license it?

My knowledge is outdated on gaming engines, so I am not that familiar with the newer ones. Sometimes the problem is the amount of royalties the company wants for you to use their engine (I rememeber reviewing one where the company wanted $5000 down and then 35% of gross sales, not net, but of gross!)...

Last I reviewed them a few years back, I compared the Crytek3 engine to the new Unreal engine to the Unity engine. For a small budget, Unity was easier and it still had decent frame rates. I am most familiar with Unity as that is the only one I've really messed with (well besides FSX and some others just casually). Unity however did (at the time) lack some low-level abilities to optimize the engine, but it also had a much smaller cost and less royalties, and a big community. I am not sure where these engines are currently compared to the now 10+ new engines that are also teetering on the mainstream.

Would take a while to evaluate them all. The place to go is in a forum that talks about coding in game engines, but not the forum on any particular game engine site (because then you'll always get a biased opinion that this engine is best). There is no best engine actually as everyone has a different "best fit" for a particular purpose. For flying over a mesh and coding a sim, no idea which one would be best. Easiest might still be Unity, but it may have too many road blocks and be too hard to code a sim with (no idea atm).

Which is why I said I was moving on. Nothing so drama queen as abandoning the thread, but just retreating from a back and forth that had lost whatever its original goal was.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Jim, this whole thread has gone in circles, something like:

We can built it for this many (insert $'s). Yes we can, no we can't, yes we can...

We can use off shore talent! No we can't, yes we can, no we can't. ...

There is tech to built it automatically, reducing time, cost and man power! No there isn't, yes there is, no there isn't....

All we need is people with passion to do it for little money! Not true, is true, not true...

Unfortunately all the good intentions of this thread and the starter of it, isn't going to yield any new sim or spawn some new development out of the blue in the direction it's going.

I'm interested to see how much long the thread will go before the circle stops and the thread fades into the depths, or something actually happens.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jim, this whole thread has gone in circles, something like:

That's what a discussion is, it's a back and forth where everyone presents their facts for their side of the arguments. Are you telling me a Presidential debate doesn't end up the same way, No we can't, yes we can, no we can't....

It's impossible not to if you are debating different points of views. Usually in the workplace, the arguments are settled by whomever has the decision power. But here there is no subordinated order of power, so we all end up arguing on the same level of control (which is basically no control in this thing).

There is tech that helps assist this process, I don't think anyone is arguing that. I think the argument was more on the basis of which tech to use to assist in the design process.

I just do not think you will build a good SIM being all over the place, even big companies that become too diversified end up eating their lunch sometimes.

I'm interested to see how much long the thread will go before the circle stops and the thread fades into the depths, or something actually happens.

My bet is that it will eventually fade into the darkness before something actually happens.

I have the same casual interest in this effort as I do in Outerra. But that aside, has anybody looked at the list of games and sims using the two Unigine graphics engines? See anything there that you have used? If the Unigine framework is so great, why don't more shops license it?

While Unigine talks of its ability to create worlds, that ability does not seem to have even been actually used that I know of yet. I've only seen unity instead creating very beautiful but limited areas. Perhaps somebody else knows of something larger?

Devons rig

My bet is that it will eventually fade into the darkness before something actually happens.

It's a lot harder to get crowd funding now than it was when Star Citizen got into it, especially since we aren't making a space game, so you might be right.

That's what a discussion is, it's a back and forth where everyone presents their facts for their side of the arguments. Are you telling me a Presidential debate doesn't end up the same way, No we can't, yes we can, no we can't....

It's impossible not to if you are debating different points of views.

Well a Presidential debate actually ends up with a new president. This is just a bunch of hypothetical wishing more or less, that most likely won't end up with anything actually getting done.

I'm not pessimistic, but given the scope of what's involved with a project like this, I sincerely don't think all the wishes and dreams of the folks involved is going to move the needle so to speak.

Eventually someone will create a new SIM that surpasses what we have today, no idea how long it will be from now, maybe 2030, maybe next year :P