Sign in to follow this  
vonduck

WIndows 10...will i have o reinstall everything if i upgrade?

Hi guys,

I have been reading with interest all about Windows 10 as many of us have... when the free offer of an upgrade comes out, does this mean a full reinstall of everything P3D wise or will it simply be an upgrade of the OS..

I am hating to think a reformat is is order!

Any ideas?

Ta

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

I just did it today

Total reinstall

Been worth it for me - Joystick is recognized correctly and I haven't had any of the strange stuff with SLI (flashing ,etc)

Performance seems to be basically the same, but much more stable so far.

(also, love the w10 direction - very slick)

Strictly speaking,it will be a new OS when the final version is released. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Anyone can join the beta process as I did today.

Was totally worth it just for joystick fix alone.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "WIN10 OS Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I believe to do version 2.5 you have to reinstall as is, so for me, i am waiting till windows 10 and go through a double wammy painful re-install :)

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I'm still running FS9. If i upgrade will i have to reinstall everything including FS9?

When I installed the preview over my Win7/FSX install everything worked without having to reinstall anything, when I removed W10 it rolled back to Win7 without issues.

Things may have changed in later builds as the latest fast lane preview will install but refuses to boot, seems it does not like some hardware I am using.

Perhaps the next preview will work OK for me, I feel W10 still has a lot of work needed, July seems a bit optimistic as there are still lots of rough edges to work out.

Been discussed else where. It's very unlikely, but we shall have to wait for when it's released to be 100% sure

If the option is available I would do a clean install. especially on 7.  here is why: you have been using 7 for several years things get added and deleted registries get written and rewritten. Stuff get allocated to weird parts of the HD,  adware and spyware slip through the cracks. The 50 drivers for that crappy webcam you uninstalled 6 months ago, are still taking up space. Do a clean install it will make your computer happy and it will make you happy.

While I agree a clean install is the best way to go, I think most people that I know would not be very happy if they upgraded to windows 10 and found out that many things had broken, just from upgrading. I have so many programs that I have downloaded over the years, and configured the way I want, that trying to duplicate all that is mind boggling. I think I will wait a good while and see how other people have done with the upgrade, before I wipe out my perfectly running and reliable Windows 7 for 10. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

My experience using build 10162 to upgrade yesterday, is no reinstall was needed for any software or applications.  Everything worked.  Improved FPS after upgrade and no issues.  My OS was Windows 8.1 on a Hybrid Drive with P3D and FSX-SE installed on separate SSD's.  The only thing I had to do was rearrange my desktop icons.   Now later this summer I do expect to do a clean install of Windows 10 on an SSD with P3D and FSX-SE on separate SSD's and ancillary files on the Hybrid.

My experience using build 10162 to upgrade yesterday, is no reinstall was needed for any software or applications.  Everything worked.  Improved FPS after upgrade and no issues.  My OS was Windows 8.1 on a Hybrid Drive with P3D and FSX-SE installed on separate SSD's.  The only thing I had to do was rearrange my desktop icons.   Now later this summer I do expect to do a clean install of Windows 10 on an SSD with P3D and FSX-SE on separate SSD's and ancillary files on the Hybrid.

Remember, you're using the BETA.

Things may change when the final version is released.

It will be possible to clean install if you're getting the free upgrade from MS.