Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Insurance for FSX.x....make a back-up of a working dll.xml file...NOW!

all credit goes to the very talented Developer behind this great tool and many other, Peter Rosendhal.

------------------------------------------------------------------

You bet...this tool is a must for everybody...well..everybody that wants to keep their hair, and sanity...lol!

Thanks again for the head-up...

Mitch

Is that actually the case and all other application will fail?

Well yes and no...if the file becomes corrupt, you might never get past the first ten seconds of FSX initializing.  Fatal error...and a view of the Desktop...

If you do get to the numbers....some modules might not have loaded....etc.

you're very welcome Mitch
have a look at some of the other tool Peter developed; Simstarter is a must have as well!

bottom right

Rick, this is no more than a generic action/alert your AV will take with any file with .exe extension,
like i suggested first; your AV settings are very sensitive,
you can safely ignore the warning regarding this file

Chris, downloaded and installed via "Zip". Have backed up FSX, but noticed that it did not find FS9!

Is there a setting, somewhere, which allows the software to find ALL flight simulators i.e., FSX, FS9, P3D, etc, etc?

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

Hi Martin,

FS9 is natively supported, i believe the tool relies on registry path to find relating Sim platforms,

i recently had to path issues with my installation; nothing i did fixed the issue i was having accept a little free tool i found here

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library FSX/FS9 Registry Repair Tool

I suggest you make sure your registry paths are in order; then run SimConfigBackaup again

Running on a network and use both FSX and FS9 regularly where two or more computers are used. I do already use that tool, but strange that SIMconfigBackup is not locating FS9!

Martin Parr

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

in SimConfigBackup root folder open BackupSets folder,
copy FSX config file rename it to FS9, and edit the paths inside manually! (any text editor will do)

you can also try "add files by searching" action (two buttons to the left of "create backup")

SIMconfigBackup_pic01-1024x687.png

Here is what I have changed. It is interesting that there are differences in the file names between FSX and FS9.

C:\Users\Martin Parr\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\fs9.cfg
C:\Users\Martin Parr\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\dxdiag.xml
C:\Users\Martin Parr\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\scenery.cfg
C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 9\terrain.cfg
C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 9\autogen\default.xml
C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 9\modules\FSUIPC.ini

Martin Parr

there's a free tool just for that - SIMconfigBackup

http://aviation.pero...ss/?page_id=551

Chris, thanks so much for this pointer and huge thanks to the developer. Peter has given us an effortless solution to be able to rebound our FSX/P3D installations after config file corruptions. Genius!

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

Here is what I have changed. It is interesting that there are differences in the file names between FSX and FS9.

C:\Users\YOU here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\fs9.cfg
C:\Users\You here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\dxdiag.xml
C:\Users\You here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\scenery.cfg
C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 9\terrain.cfg
C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 9\autogen\default.xml
C:\Microsoft Flight Simulator 9\modules\FSUIPC.ini

Thanks Martin, I just applied your file pointers, but with my pertinent data. It seems that the program can not sniff out FS9 entries as per its pre-set script.  This did it....thanks.

***I placed after Users\You here\ blah blah, where the reader's computer name should be, by editing***

Chris, thanks so much for this pointer and huge thanks to the developer. Peter has given us an effortless solution to be able to rebound our FSX/P3D installations after config file corruptions. Genius!

Yeah...this is a life saver...and hours-upon-hours, saver!  I'm glad that I posted this thread....never knew about this program!

HI Mitch....just curious I thought you moved over the P3D some time ago and said goodbye to FSX (of any sort)??

Had this and other issues many years ago and now I maintain a complete back up of my entire FSX setup, all the system files in the root directories and the entire FSX program and all addons.  Everytime I install a new set of addons I back it up.

My Orbx data is 154 Gigs alone. My entire FSX is 685 gigs....I just can't affort the time and effort to think of rebuilding and reinstalling all my "stuff".

Of course you need to have a data storage drive or upload to some data storage.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Glad you got it working Martin :drinks:

if you open SIMconfigBackup_Presets.xml, you can see the path it should be looking for, (basically the template for each platform)

Peter has given us an effortless solution to be able to rebound our FSX/P3D installations after config file corruptions. Genius!

100% with you there Jev :good:

It seems that the program can not sniff out FS9 entries as per its pre-set script.

Thanks Mitch; i will point this out to Peter :blush:

who by the way answer to the nickname Capt. Pero here on AVSIM

and also have a dedicated sub forum here; for simstarter and other apps he wrote

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/716-capt-pero-support-forum/

:drinks: To you Chris, thank you!

Martin Parr

HI Mitch....just curious I thought you moved over the P3D some time ago and said goodbye to FSX (of any sort)??

Had this and other issues many years ago and now I maintain a complete back up of my entire FSX setup, all the system files in the root directories and the entire FSX program and all addons.  Everytime I install a new set of addons I back it up.

My Orbx data is 154 Gigs alone. My entire FSX is 685 gigs....I just can't affort the time and effort to think of rebuilding and reinstalling all my "stuff".

Of course you need to have a data storage drive or upload to some data storage.

Oh yes...I do full install backups as a System Image.  I don't back up individual folders. I just sold the farm, buying up quite a few ORBX airports on the sale...and so did a back up of that last night..along with Shockwave Redux.  What happened, is that when I installed KJAC, at the very last of the routine...something got corrupted as the installer tried to write the KJAC module into the dll.xml file.  I could have brought back the entire image..but it would have lacked many other just-purchased items. So..I chose to rebuild only FSX.

I have not departed from any of the flight sims....yes...I have and fly P3D v2.4 (loaded up as well), but also regularly fly FS9.999994994994999499499, and XPX.x  So...nothing is orphaned with such cheap drive solutions these days...  This program pointed out from Chris...well, if I would have had this, before any of the installs...not even 1 minute would have been lost....  All, via this program, is backed up (FSX, P3D,FS9) now.  Good deal! I just bought one more last hold-out for myself...Bozeman (KBZN), and before I installed it...you got it...I called up this program, and pressed; BACKUP, or what I now call the 'keep my flight simming sanity' button....  :rolleyes:

BTW...buy Shockwave Lights Redux...WOW!  Oh..did I say...WOW?   Thought so.... :) I just posted a converted Carenado Stationair II now showing Shockwave Redux, in the Screenshot Forum, if this interests you. :)

Mitch

Chris, just downloaded but the AV is throwing up a message that there is an infection on the download.It seems the .EXE is triggering the AV, but not the .ZIP. Anyone else getting that?

No warnings, and the program is a cinch to use. Congrats to the dev! It takes care of exactly what I OP'ed about...the out-of-the-blue, real-time critical file, failure/corruption.