Sign in to follow this  
vololiberista

New Super VC10 Panel Upgrade

6 hours ago, vololiberista said:

A brief update re progress

Thanks for the brief, always appreciated!

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

More news.

The latest infusion of Docetaxel kept me awake last night. So instead of counting sheep I mulled over a couple of problems with the electrics panel.

There are still some bugs in the battery supply system and the TRUs. But the KWs and KVars are working correctly. The next move was to eliminate the avionics switch from the ignition panel. The 10 doesn't have one! The avionics come on when one or other bus systems are live. This works nicely but still needs some tweaking. So the avionics switch has been deleted.

The next step therefore is to move the battery switch to the main electrics panel. In real life there are no switches of that nature on the ignition panel. This is slightly more complex as I have over time added other functionalities to that operation and I have to ensure that they continue.

The electrics icon now has a left click and a right click function. The left click is as before but the right click toggles the electrics panel on and off. The electrics panel will also load automatically when you click the Engine Ts&Ps icon. This is to facilitate the start-up process so that you can engage the generators at the correct times and control the output. On my system the electrics panel sometimes takes a few seconds to load the first time in memory and this may happen to you as well. Nothing to be alarmed about as it only happens the first time it is loaded.

Again, thank you for the update and your continued dedication to the Super VC10.

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

There are now 65 elements programmed into the Electrical Panel. I'm expecting 70ish in all. Don't worry though that doesn't mean you will have 70 things to do. There's a lot of duplication and quite a lot of background stuff. Creating an AC system from scratch was one problem. Integrating the DC and AC systems, adding Ground Power and rewriting the "Battery Switch" and "Avionics Switch." There is no avionics switch in reality. Again something that MS didn't think through very well for commercial aircraft. So instead the radio switches now work and also perfom as the avionics switch.The Split System Breaker also works now. That allows you to either run the electrics manually or automatically. Set to "Auto" any fault is automatically compensated for, as per the real a/c. "Manual Split" means that the two AC circuits "A" & "B" are separated. In time, in future upgrades, the failure system will rely on which buses are running. There is quite a lot of redundancy, but with the ELRAT there is very little that will work. That will all come in time though. So now I am approaching the testing phase to ensure that all the elements integrate correctly and dispaly the correct readings.

Tomorrow litle will be done as I will have another infusion no.4 out of 6 and to cap it all my wife has a slipped disc.  So there is much chaos in the camp at the moment!!

The autopilot on the real a/c has a "flare" setting which is used in conjunction with the autothrottle. Thus giving the a/c autoland capabilities ( Bear in mind that the AT is a limited function type. i.e. up to a max of 180kts). That does work in DM's model as does the INS which is a must. The VC10 never had GPS not even in the RAF role. The RAF had a very basic FMC which was connected to the INS sytem.

I Bet JF have not modelled P7. If that is not at the right point at full throttle the take-off has to be aborted.

I confess I haven't read the whole thread. How many parts is right now the download, apart from the DM VC10 itself?

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Just now, Luis Hernandez said:

I confess I haven't read the whole thread. How many parts is right now the download, apart from the DM VC10 itself?

If I recall about 8. Not all of them are large though. The reason for that is the size limit imposed by avsim. I am about halfway through the engineers panel. So I might repackage everything. The whole panel upgrade is more than 1Gb hence the problem.

I've been a bit bogged down with some coding issues which I solved today by reversing some of the logic. Just a shot in the dark that worked. Quite why it works is still a mystery but at least I can now progress.

Final straights / Short Finals if you will.

Final testing of the electrics panel is under way. Testing for anomalies etc.,

Plus a few loose ends. Not bad I would say for someone in the middle of chemo! However.....

Also in preparation for correctly displaying cabin temperature on another panel I have separated cabin temp from flight deck temp. The left controls control the flight deck and the right the cabin. Consequently there are now two dials. Mousing over them will show the temperature that has been set.

One of the reasons for doing this is that for some time now, every Winter, passengers have been complaining vociferously about how cold the cabin was when boarding. I had to make up all sorts of excuses to avoid having to tell them that the cabin aircon/temperature only worked when engine three had spooled up. That has now all changed and the temperature can be set when ground power is live. Amazing what one can do with an electric panel!!

• Upvote 1

Starting work on the manual now. Also still a couple of anomalies to iron out. The next update will include more than 200 new elements, gauges, functions and additions for you all to worry about lol!!

This is old school flying at its best!

Still a few bits and bobs all minor. But, I have not been well and have upcoming surgery which may intervene depending on how I feel. If all goes well I will upload to avsim in a week or two.

I'm looking forward to trying your VC-10 panel after the manual is completed but health comes first. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery and recovery.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Hi Guys,

Managed to escape from hospital after more than 6 weeks. I had to be wheelchaired to the bathroom less than 3 metres away. I'm still not 100% but hopefully I can resume work in the forthcoming days. I still have two major operations scheduled for July but I'll try to get everything uploaded before then.

Also there is a problem with the lan requiring a new card before any uploads can be done. There only remains a page or two for the manual to be done. And get this, for engine restarts you will have to recycle the series switches to clear the circuits of any residual current before reconnecting the generators. That's as real as it gets. 

6 weeks! You must be clawing the walls. Your dedication and effort to the VC-10 panel is admirable. Don't stress yourself worrying about it although you are probably wanting to focus your mind on something other than doctors and medicine now. Best wishes to you.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4