Sign in to follow this  
rfelger

Windows 10 compatibility

I just noticed that piece of spam in my taskbar, Microsoft is so eager to have a successful OS again that they are hijacking our computers with their spam and offering "free" upgrades to Windows 10 (after general announcement for the RTM).  They seem to go out of their way to antagonize their customers; oh yes, the enterprise editions of Windows 7 do not get the spam because they really don't want to antagonize IT departments, who rarely accepted Windows 8 and some of which are just now moving from XP to Windows 7.

Don't click on it... it only encourages Microsoft in pursuing this intrusive advertising.

It can be removed with control panel, remove Window update KB3035583 and reboot.  We'll probably have to do that several times because they marked it "Recommended" for automatic installation by their update process.

Dan, Paranoia? I doubt Microsoft would stoop to such low levels...just go with the flow......all updates on my PC have never influenced my flight sims or the performance of my PC...us old guys are greatly suspicious! :ph34r:

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

The E&C I worked for was locally owned and relatively small (<200).  We went to multi-monitors and wide screens as soon as we started implementing 3D-CAD about 8 yrs ago, very important for productivity. 

A bit off topic but a good point; It has to be said, I've worked in IT for 10 years and always had multiple monitors. IT staff will always ensure we do, however other users generally only get one. But honestly, the productivity boost is huge. Even if you're working in finance, HR, or an advertising exec...whatever. The ability to not be switching all the time speeds up work flow.

I can 100% understand some users annoyance at the windows app to give you the opportunity to register W10 for free. But this is their way to get it on as many devices as possible. I watched a fair amount of BUILD 2015, the Microsoft developers conference, and their marketing and sales strategy is to get W10  on as many devices as possible to draw in developers to build apps. By trade I'm a networks and unix engineer, I mostly work in the BSD's, Linux and networking hardware, but I do see what MS strategy is. On their phones they have the ability to run Obj.C code and Java, which allows developers to easily port Android and IOS applications to Windows, with minimal work. This means it's not a 3rd, 4th wheel. They have also bridge the gap between phones, tablets and computers (desktop/laptop) to applications can easily scale and can easily be released for all platforms. In order to do this, and to draw developers, they need to say "Hey, developers, do a small amount of work and you can have your originally written Android and/or IOS application on windows phones and this easily scales to tablets and computers as well" That's the selling point of them. That is what they are going for.

Will they ###### people off? Yes, of course. Will it work? I've no idea, it's worth a try. However, they are looking at the long game here. A few ###### off users is probably acceptable from a marketing perspective

A bit off topic but a good point; It has to be said, I've worked in IT for 10 years and always had multiple monitors. IT staff will always ensure we do, however other users generally only get one. But honestly, the productivity boost is huge. Even if you're working in finance, HR, or an advertising exec...whatever. The ability to not be switching all the time speeds up work flow.

I can 100% understand some users annoyance at the windows app to give you the opportunity to register W10 for free. But this is their way to get it on as many devices as possible. I watched a fair amount of BUILD 2015, the Microsoft developers conference, and their marketing and sales strategy is to get W10  on as many devices as possible to draw in developers to build apps. By trade I'm a networks and unix engineer, I mostly work in the BSD's, Linux and networking hardware, but I do see what MS strategy is. On their phones they have the ability to run Obj.C code and Java, which allows developers to easily port Android and IOS applications to Windows, with minimal work. This means it's not a 3rd, 4th wheel. They have also bridge the gap between phones, tablets and computers (desktop/laptop) to applications can easily scale and can easily be released for all platforms. In order to do this, and to draw developers, they need to say "Hey, developers, do a small amount of work and you can have your originally written Android and/or IOS application on windows phones and this easily scales to tablets and computers as well" That's the selling point of them. That is what they are going for.

Will they ###### people off? Yes, of course. Will it work? I've no idea, it's worth a try. However, they are looking at the long game here. A few ###### users is probably acceptable from a marketing perspective

As a professional in South Africa, I am amazed at the resourses you guys are exposed to...but yet give negative comments...I have installed and purchased many flight simulator software products..only realising later that they were configured for Europe or US, and only partially operable in my location...A lot of software I use only works to a certain degree...and now I see the "Elite" complaining about Windows 10!! Come to Souh Africa....We will accept it open arms....and not these companies who sell Flight Simulator software that is only meant for the developed countries.....

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

On one of my computers I have been using rtm w10 and I have computers using vista, w7 and w8.1 and I find W10 A far better system.  All my computers are using system builders version of Windows so I hope I will be able to upgrade them as soon as W10 is released for download.  

Yes, regardless of whether you have those OEM/system builder versions or the full version, you can still upgrade.

OMG I thought I was the chosen 1 by MSN  offering me a free upgrade to W10 from W7-64.....Now two questions if you please...:

1- If I accept, will all my pregames includes FSX and addons will work automatically with W10? or will requier new installations?

2- Does FSX compatible with W10 in the first place?

Many thanks 

1. Yes, it is an upgrade, not a full reinstall.

2. Apparently so.

Am I correct that the upgrade to Windows 10 will probably not require a complete new install of P3D?

It won't since it's only an upgrade, not a full install.

Hopefully they come out with a system builders version as they are cheaper than regular versions.

System builder versions are confirmed: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892&cm_re=windows_10-_-32-416-892-_-Product

Peter I'm not quite sure where you thought I was giving negative comments. If anything I was backing what Microsoft where doing in their strategy.

Also, how are people "elite"? Is that a European dig or an IT professional dig? Either way, unless I've miss understood you in which case I apologise now, but that's leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Especially given some of my family where born and raised in Port Elizabeth

Peter I'm not quite sure where you thought I was giving negative comments. If anything I was backing what Microsoft where doing in their strategy.

Also, how are people "elite"? Is that a European dig or an IT professional dig? Either way, unless I've miss understood you in which case I apologise now, but that's leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Especially given some of my family where born and raised in Port Elizabeth

Sorry....Just a frustration from this side of the continent...! I fly a lot into PE! Summerstrand? I am most of the year in PE....

Peter Webber

It's alright mate, I understand. A lot of S. Africans in London and I've heard the stories!

I just noticed that piece of spam in my taskbar, Microsoft is so eager to have a successful OS again that they are hijacking our computers with their spam and offering "free" upgrades to Windows 10 (after general announcement for the RTM).  They seem to go out of their way to antagonize their customers; oh yes, the enterprise editions of Windows 7 do not get the spam because they really don't want to antagonize IT departments, who rarely accepted Windows 8 and some of which are just now moving from XP to Windows 7.

Don't click on it... it only encourages Microsoft in pursuing this intrusive advertising.

It can be removed with control panel, remove Window update KB3035583 and reboot.  We'll probably have to do that several times because they marked it "Recommended" for automatic installation by their update process.

You are right man. As an IT pro I'll second you stating that W8 has been the worst piece of marketing stuff M$ has ever released....alongside with Vista.

W10 seems to be a decent Service Pack.

cheers

I don't mind the offer, in fact I appreciate their generosity. What truly galls me is the fact that I can't easily remove it from my task bar. I've read the offer, I'll consider it but please stop the software equivalent of SHOUTING about it.I get software subscription renewal offers all the time but this is the first time that I've had one shoved in my face. For ##### sake just give me the damn EXIT option and I'll be as happy as a clam.

One of the major reasons for the free upgrade is the millions of pirated copies in the Far East.  MS wants to get as many of those users as possible back on a licensed version so that they can then detect and control the other pirated software.  MS, like many other software companies is migrating to a SAAS company - Software as a Service.  Soon, there will no longer be boxed commercial software available, it will all be SAAS and it will be for rent and subscription.  Free Win 10 is the first major gambit in that effort.

Personally, I think Apple is far more onerous that MS, but since they are the "cool" company, nobody worries about it.  They lock your operating system, control your hardware and upgrades, control your pictures, your music, your video.  They send out itunes updates every 15 minutes or so and try to install two or three other pieces of software at the same time.  Much more Orwellian, in my opinion.

Jeff Callender

Dan, Paranoia? I doubt Microsoft would stoop to such low levels...just go with the flow......all updates on my PC have never influenced my flight sims or the performance of my PC...us old guys are greatly suspicious! :ph34r:

Read this post, then let's hear your opinion.

These updates are designed to constantly collect data about your computer for Windows 10

I'm struggling to find any clear evidence that this is correct. Has anyone found any? Also I was reading up on W10 updates and apparently there are 3 tracks you can follow, fast, medium, and slow. I forgot what their actual names where. But still can't find any clear documentation to how it works in the final release or what drivers come under, and if they would be installed automatically or not. Again, I doubt that would be the case as it opens them up to too many support calls. But, I have no documentation to say either way

While I do appreciate a good software discussion from time to time, particularly related to aviation, and/or security, the discussion here should return to something a little more relevant. Please leave the conspiracy theories elsewhere, regardless of proof (and no "NickN said so" isn't proof).

Kyle Rodgers

LOL, nice one Kyle :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020