Sign in to follow this  
rfelger

Windows 10 compatibility

I might sound a word of caution, I did a clean install of Windows 10, i had issues installing P3D, it required changing to Windows XP SP3 in compatibility mode.  Since installation i cannot use P3D for more than 5 minutes without a TDR which drops me back to the desktop.  

I have tried every driver released for Windows 10 they are all substantially the same, with only 352.84 allowing me to fly for more than 10 minutes, unfortunately that driver ended about 2 hrs into the flight with a BSOD.

Ian R Tyldesley

I'm using P3D with windows 10 right now. Absolutely no issues with anything and even got a 5-10 fps improvement

I upgraded twice from Win7 to Win10 and tried to run FSX. I have a lot of add-ons from Aerosoft and PMDG etc. Downloaded latest NVIDIA drivers but everything became unstable, random crashes to desktop. So returned to WIN7. Might work with a clean install of all FSX software from scratch but for me it wasn' worth it.

I upgraded twice from Win7 to Win10 and tried to run FSX. I have a lot of add-ons from Aerosoft and PMDG etc. Downloaded latest NVIDIA drivers but everything became unstable, random crashes to desktop. So returned to WIN7. Might work with a clean install of all FSX software from scratch but for me it wasn' worth it.

I tell you how I upgraded from W7 to W10 with minor issues (just the first nVidia W10 driver was crap, the current one works flawlessly):

- run Windows Update several times under W7 until your W7 is perfectly up to date. This includes the newest nVidia driver release.

- if you have ORBX products installed, search for the TODO file (details see ORBX forums) and delete it

- run CCleaner both for getting rid of rubbish and also run the registry cleaner of CCleaner. Now you should have a perfectly clean and proper W7 installation...

- download the media creation tool and install W10 with it.

- be happy with a working W10 upgrade, no problems, no issues (at least for me). Everything works as it should.

It might also be good if you delete the FSX.cfg before you fire up FSX for the first time after the upgrade from W7 to W10. Like this you basically eliminate the last remnant lines or settings related to W7. I do absolutely not regret the switch, besides slightly improved smoothness in FSX (individual observation, might be placebo), all my other games also improved a little bit. And I am now ready for DX12 games.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Hi dear,

I made several test with two image between Win7 and Win 10 Pro x64, all test with system clean, only drivers. My list of addons in my FSX: PMDG ( MD 11/B737/777), MD 82 Maddog, Concorde flight labs. Sceneries installed: all Brazil, all Aerosoft, all ORBX, all Taxi 2 Gate, all Latinvfr, all Flytampa, etc ... around 800 total sceneries , 300gb of addons inside of FSX. My machine configuration: Intel 3960X @4.8 + Sli 780TI + 960gb SSD + 16Gb DDR3 2400 C9 Corsair Dominator .

I have sure, like 1 + 1 is 2 .. Windows 7 work better than Windows 10. I lost around 10 FPS when was Windows 10 in same condition comparing Windows 7.

Also my FSX working more instable on Windows 10, I have more than 3 crash, i don´t know why, so I decide back to Windows 7.