Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Does the Turbine Duke 2.0 have a gear warning?

The old one did...a light.  I think it activated when you brought throttles to idle.  I went to idle today but didn't see it.  Maybe it activates under different circumstances?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

No gear warning indicator, but it has some really convincing sparks, smoke and plowed runway cement effects when you forget! :P

Due to the frequency of gear up landings in this plane, checking for three green has become obsessive when landing it now.

Due to the frequency of gear up landings in this plane, checking for three green has become obsessive when landing it now.

I did it twice way back when in the sim.  I'm always cautious with this plane but I never underestimate my ability to get lazy.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

If you want a gear warning in the Duke V2,

1)copy the baron_gearwarning.wav file from the default baron to the Duke sound folder.

2)in the duke sound.cfg file search for [GEAR_UP_WARNING_SOUND] and change the flag=1 to flag=0

This will give you a sound warning but there will be no lights.

Tom

If you want a gear warning in the Duke V2,

1)copy the baron_gearwarning.wav file from the default baron to the Duke sound folder.
2)in the duke sound.cfg file search for [GEAR_UP_WARNING_SOUND] and change the flag=1 to flag=0

This will give you a sound warning but there will be no lights.

Thanks!  If for some strange reason I were considering buying a Duke I'd find out if I could add it...or else buy something else. 

There is a gear annunciator light, no?

Gregg Seipp

Gregg:

Yes, there are the standard three green lights when the gear is down.

When I said that there would be no lights, I meant that nothing would start flashing on the annunciator panel.

Tom

Gregg:

Yes, there are the standard three green lights when the gear is down.

When I said that there would be no lights, I meant that nothing would start flashing on the annunciator panel.

What I meant was, I think there's a light on the annunciator panel that says, if I recall, "Gear Warn".  Not in front of my sim right now so can't confirm.

Gregg Seipp

This has to be an oversight on someone's part. Those are very expensive props to stick into the concrete, not to mention the sudden stoppage damage to the turbines. I bet we see a 'hot fix' before the next gear up landing.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Gregg:

To be honest I have no idea if there is a light on the annunciator panel. I haven't landed with the gear up.

At least not in the Duke. I assumed that if RealAir didn't include the .wav file they didn't have a warning light.

Tom

To be honest I have no idea if there is a light on the annunciator panel. I haven't landed with the gear up.

I'm more forgetful than that, I guess.  It was the memory of those past mistakes that had me thinking about it which is why I did the test.  Honestly, I'll take all the reminders I can get with gear.  The "1,000" callout from the GTN750 is a good checkpoint in the meantime.

Gregg Seipp

This has to be an oversight on someone's part. Those are very expensive props to stick into the concrete, not to mention the sudden stoppage damage to the turbines. I bet we see a 'hot fix' before the next gear up landing.

Regards,

Ray

There is a gear warning on the T Duke V2, but we restricted it to 500 feet above the ground (radar alt), which is plenty of time to realise you forgot the landing checks. The standard FSX gear warning can be very irritating when it kicks in at throttle settings way above idle at 25,000 feet!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

There is a gear warning on the T Duke V2, but we restricted it to 500 feet above the ground (radar alt), which is plenty of time to realise you forgot the landing checks. The standard FSX gear warning can be very irritating when it kicks in at throttle settings way above idle at 25,000 feet!

Hi Rob,

Aha!  Well, I didn't let it get that low.  Is this modeled like the real Duke or did you do something different?

Gregg Seipp

O.K. Gang. There is the answer. None of us have tried a low pass with the gear up to hear the warning. I agree, this is an intelligent implementation of the aural warning.

The recent Citation would drive you nuts with the horn going off on takeoff and climbout with gear up but the flaps not retracted. Crazy logic but had to wait for the SP2 to fix it.

Thanks Rob.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .