Sign in to follow this  
Flyboy

Tutorial 2 ngx 737 page 107

Here I am at fl390 enjoying and learning about offsets and FMC wizardry...

Approaching ELMOX after using a 10nm offset from TESGA.

After setting the new ZFW to 131.5 on page 106 says:

"Go back to legs page and press next page twice you should see OEV18"

Supposedly after RTTNB...

There is nothing on there...

After RTTNB, I have (INTC), CL26, FL26, LOC17, LOC14, 90LOC, ML26, RW26 and LOWI I imagine.....

Could this be related to NAVDATA?

Im going to run out of fuel lost in a haze up here... Ha!

Thanks... I am on pause until I hear back... Will look up some LOWI approach charts...

Guillermo Schleimer 

:

Refer to page 113. Oev is a fix which you have to enter manually to FMC and draw an arc from it. I'm not sure if it will help with your problem since I fly on new airac and didn't do tutorial 2 long time. Also I don't have access to sim now. All is on page 112/113.also in the very end of tutorial 2 you have LOWI approach chart which should make it more clear in case my conclusion is wrong.

Tomasz Zawadzki

EDIT: I went through tutorial in pdf now and I think I confused two things. According to approach chart OEV18 should be your faf. Which approach you chose in dep/arr page?

• Upvote 1

Thanks... I am on pause until I hear back... Will look up some LOWI approach charts...

A little knowledge is required to be applied for things like this, and they really shouldn't hold up your flight as much as this and your other post have alluded to. These tutorials were written back when the NGX released. Since then, nearly 52 cycles of nav data have been released, which means there have been 52 times that data has had the opportunity to change in either a minor or major form.

This, for the record, is why we still have people up front: see the situation, double check it, assess it and act. If it still feels daunting, re-fly Tutorial #1 until you're more familiar with the basics, and then Tutorial #2 won't feel so crazy. At that point, you'll probably be a little more familiar with the systems to coax them into doing what you're being asked to do (which, from what I recall of re-saving the flight saves for the P3D version a few months ago, there were minor differences).

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, sometimes a modicum of humility would go a long way. If he doesn't read the manual then he's asked to RTFM, and if he does he finds out the information isn't up to date.

Guillermo, you're right in thinking that it's a navdata issue. If you want to follow tutorial 2 step by step then it's best to have the original navdata installed. It should have been backed up when you installed newer navdata, the file you need is LOWI.txt in particular (do a forum search, there's an thread here were the older file is available to download)

The tutorial contents are great and I'd advise any new owner to follow them as closely as possible.

• Upvote 1

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Kyle, sometimes a modicum of humility would go a long way. If he doesn't read the manual then he's asked to RTFM, and if he does he finds out the information isn't up to date.

I'm not sure how humility comes into play here. The Tutorial (all of them, in fact) starts with a note about the nav data, and how it changes over time. As such, a little effort will need to be applied by the reader in order to adjust for the changes over time. That goes for me, you, Guillermo, and anyone else. Nobody is above it, and I don't think anyone sees themselves as above it. To include myself.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle & Neal....
First off, I am ADD and some of the downfall if that is what you'd call it is a little OCD.
When I learn something I try to do it by the book the first time as much as possible...
The error, I found was the removal or change from the NAV data of LLZ26 LOC/DME
Please remember that I try to take instruction seriously but am not above humor...
In the FMC prep, I replaced it with the closest I could find and the issue showed up on page 107 where the speed downgrade to 155 happens prior or on OEV18.
It didn't hit me last night but upon morning, I remembered the LLZ26 which most likely is the cause.
As both you mentioned, NAV data changes, though I keep mine up to date... But this is a critical step to achieve the drag and descent prior to the last approach maneuvers.
Being late... I was bummed I couldn't finish it. I opted to place the 155 knot limitation to the last 9500 ft restriction and placed it there.. Things didn't work from there on out.
As far as Tutorial 1 is concerned and understanding all these steps? I have it clear as a bell but trying to do things the first time right... There are stumbles.
I've applied the first tutorial to many other flights and did fine... Tutorial 2 is new and will get through it today.
I am not humiliated but Kyle... Don't assume what I need to do, that's easy, just looking for some brainstorming like we do in Engineering... If some have fumbled this before, it helps to know not only why but a solution as well.
Thanks to the both of you.. I need to research the other 26 LOC/DMEs. Apparently I chose the wrong one associated with the OEV waypoints. I doubt their name would change... The localizer.. Possible.
Have a great day!
Guillermo Schleimer

• Upvote 1

I would suggest using the fix as Ebs suggest. In the early days there is a lot to learn and take in, and something in the tutorial not working can really throw you. Once you've understood the tutorial, you can put this to practice at any other airport, where you're not following a tutorial, so you won't have this problem. You will have other hurdles to jump, such as applying the knowledge you've learnt to new situations, but that's the fun part :)