Sign in to follow this  
twojastara

A question for X-Plane users here

I tried X plane, and having about 600 hours as a private pilot, I was unimpressed with the behavior of the aircraft in X plane and the scenery. The one thing X plane has is nice night lighting, but I do must of my sim flying during the day time. I just got tired of flying to smaller airports and seeing nothing but a bare runway in the middle of nowhere.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I tried X plane, and having about 600 hours as a private pilot, I was unimpressed with the behavior of the aircraft in X plane and the scenery. The one thing X plane has is nice night lighting, but I do must of my sim flying during the day time. I just got tired of flying to smaller airports and seeing nothing but a bare runway in the middle of nowhere.  

I'm to the point with XPX where I can make it look really nice with custom Ortho scenery and some good add-ons, etc

But I think at this stage, I might be "out" until v11 comes around (whatever decade that might be - hopefully this one).

The autogen trees and buildings need a ton more variety to them (they should literally get Tony and AlPilotX in house somehow) and the HD Mesh's should be default inclusions, and I personally think Laminar should try to do some first party HQ scenery (paid even would be fine) for some key areas around the world - which would definitely help the curb appeal of the sim to new users.

Oh - Also, we all know the wx system needs a big overhaul.

It just feels like v10 "is what it is" basically - and I'm ready for XP to make another big leap at some point (assuming it will, hopefully)

I don't want to sound negative... but, XP10 was the worst investment, in money and also emotional, I ever did in flight simulation. 

I don't say P3D is the future, and even less FSX:SE ( although that's the one I am actually using for the visuals ), and I would love to see Outerra, AeroflyFS, or even DCS, offer full World coverage with additional aircraft types ( the helicopters in DCS are second to none among all sims I have used... )

I do not plan to invest a single penny more in XP10, and I seriously doubt I will ever spend it in any upcoming new version :-/, unless I see good signs of work being done in areas like prop flight dynamics, weather, blurr, ...., which I seriously doubt since they're diverting towards the Android / iOS markets....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I don't want to sound negative... but, XP10 was the worst investment, in money and also emotional, I ever did in flight simulation. 

Don't worry, it did sound positive. :lol:

Did they hack your account at AvSIm?

"Uninstalled FSX:SE ....  My new SSD ( 250 GB ) is only worth for PSX, X-Plane 10, DCS and IL2 BOS + ROF... And the scenery stuff for XP10 occupies a LOT! Sorry :-("

It looks like they did something personal to you, what did you expect before buying XP10, a new version every month? It doesn't look to me that they're doing quantum leap jumps at LM too.

They even could not give a tentative year for a 64 bit version and looking from videos recorded with v2.5 it's the same pop up autogen at short range that was, and I guess it's still, in FSX .

I've invested 130 euros so far in XP10 compared to thousands of FSX and I must admit that I feel no urge to reinstall FSX, maybe with a new rig situation could change, but I'm not going to invest another thousand euro in a new PC just to see if FSX is more stable and fluid there.

hehe in that message I naturally wrote fsx:se I should have written XP10... I was using, just as I am now, XP10 as a visuals generator for PSX, and the equivalent for FSX:SE was still not at the same level... with time VisualPSX grew into a very stable and fluid app, creating the perfect bridge between XP and PSX...

They didn't do anything bad to me, of course... I just waited to much for basic / important updates to happen, and saw nothing really indicative of promising stuff coming along... I do see investment in Android and iOS... which is not for me...

I never really experienced stutters in FSX, nor OOMs, and I did experience lot's of stutters in XP10 with OSM scenery near some bigger cities, including CTDs,,,  My rig's fault maybe... I was forced to set the levels of detail to their minima, and HDR was out of question. Upgrading my rig in the expectation of getting decent perfromance would cost me thousands... Instead, I bought FSX:SE for $9.... 

Then, there are just too many loose ends with XP10's flight dynamics... Yes the new datarefs can be used to tune it... but...

And... I have autogen set to full left = minimum possible, as well as scenery density in FSX:SE, so, it's really a smooth ride :-), I have proper daylight according to time of day and date, Moon, which I do not see through the haze, and haze that doesn't look like a wall... and no blur / halo around me as I get to cruise levels...

It's true that I am not using other than PMDG's 777 in FSX:SE, but when I using A2A's best models as well as RealAir, always gave me a sensation of a closer representation of those aircraft than any similar models I used for XP. 

Yes, night flying looks a lot nicer in XP10, and those amazing World2XP and SimHeaven, or photo sceneries look great, for no cost, but then, I climb to cruise, not too high, and see that halo around me killing all of the immersion.... I can't have weather like I do with ASN, etc...

Yes for people simulating VFR, specially near mountainous terrain, XPlane can look a lot better than default FSX / P3Dv2, but that's not my cup of tea.... Should X-Plane offer decent flight dynamics for the gliders I have tried, and a weather model with acceptable modeling of thermals and ridge lift... I could then probably use for that...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I'm to the point with XPX where I can make it look really nice with custom Ortho scenery and some good add-ons, etc

But I think at this stage, I might be "out" until v11 comes around (whatever decade that might be - hopefully this one).

The autogen trees and buildings need a ton more variety to them (they should literally get Tony and AlPilotX in house somehow) and the HD Mesh's should be default inclusions, and I personally think Laminar should try to do some first party HQ scenery (paid even would be fine) for some key areas around the world - which would definitely help the curb appeal of the sim to new users.

Oh - Also, we all know the wx system needs a big overhaul.

It just feels like v10 "is what it is" basically - and I'm ready for XP to make another big leap at some point (assuming it will, hopefully)

Been hearing that line about " when the next version comes out"  from X plane for years now. I get no feeling at all of immersion flying in the X plane environment, and bragging about 64 bits when it looks so weak doesn't make any sense to me either. . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Been hearing that line about " when the next version comes out" for years now.

Totally agree on this point...

I just got tired of flying to smaller airports and seeing nothing but a bare runway in the middle of nowhere

There is a lot of freeware that covers those smaller airports that is actually very well done.

NAX669.png

I've tried so many times to get into X-Plane. With XP10 there is a lot to like, but every single time I end up coming back to FSX after a short time.

For me, and this is probably the reverse of a lot of people's experiences, I really struggle to get decent performance in XP10 compared to FSX. My PC isn't the most current, but I can at least manage usable frame rates in FSX with high detail airports, aircraft and AI in most cases. In XP10, unless I dial everything right down, I struggle to get 20fps most of the time, which in XP10 is a slideshow - though quite usable in FSX.

I do prefer the default XP10 scenery to the default FSX scenery, particularly in rural or mountainous areas. It just looks more real. I don't like the water, it just looks like glass, regardless of settings. Aircraft wise, there are some pretty impressive payware airliners out now, but nothing really which draws me from the best airliner offerings (Majestic, PMDG, FSLabs) for FSX. I've always felt the flight dynamics of light aircraft are far too twitchy in X-Plane, and the prop effects often way over-exaggerated. Having recently bought my first A2A aircraft for FSX I've struggled to find anything as good for X-Plane.

The things for me that draw me to XP10 like HDR, clouds and shadows I have to dumb down or turn off to make the sim usable so there's not really much point.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

There is a lot of freeware that covers those smaller airports that is actually very well done.

Just what I want to do, spending  months and months downloading and installing  airports all around the countries where I fly. About as exciting as watching paint dry. This should be something that is done by the programmers of  X plane.  

Just what I want to do, spending  months and months downloading and installing  airports all around the countries where I fly. About as exciting as watching paint dry. This should be something that is done by the programmers of  X plane.  

Hey sorry for making the suggestion. Next time, I won't bother.

NAX669.png

My sim is better than your sim!

It stands to reason that a thread about X-Plane in the P3D forum would probably be met with some resistance.

NAX669.png

My sim is better than your sim!

No!  10000000000 x Mine is the best of them all !

Main Simulation Rig:

Do you mean you fly with the default airport and scenery in PR3D...good luck  :lol:

Trade off is simple: spend months (actually weeks for me) or spend tons of bucks...no shortcut