Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Long Textures' Load Times

Good morning,

While I have been able to achieve more or less reasonable FPS and VAS usage even at the airports such as EGLL/KJFK with 100% custom made traffic, REX(512-clouds), PMDG, UTX and FTXG, one thing that still drives me mad is a long time required for objects to get proper textures. When you switch view it takes sometimes more than 10-30 seconds for textures to show up. You make another view switch and it happens all over again. In NVI I changed SGSAA from x4 to none and nothing has changed.

My specs in the signature. I still have 2-yeas old 780GTX, so perhaps 980 would help? 

What do you think?

Thanks

What do I think?

I think if it is taking 10-30 seconds to load a view you have overloaded your system, your P3D install needs a second look or one of those addons is eating up your flight.  I have a 780 and when I switch views with 100% AI with payware airports and the view may take, yes up to maybe a second but probably more like a split-second to load.

Try a test removing one of those addons in succession and see if there is a FPS hog in there.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

30 seconds is huge. I don't get that even at UK2000 EGLL or EGKK and those airports are detailed! Do what Clutch Cargo (interesting name) suggest and eliminate an add-on, disabling one at a time then re-enabling

FFTF in your configuration by any chance?

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Do you have FFTF set to a very low value (e.g. 0.01)? [Edit: Neil beat me to it...]

Some other cfg tweaks that could help:

GlobalTerrainView=1

TextureMaxLoad=15 (default is 3; try any multiples of 3 between 6 and 30)

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=80 (default is 30)

What do I think?

I think if it is taking 10-30 seconds to load a view you have overloaded your system, your P3D install needs a second look or one of those addons is eating up your flight.  

I agree with this. I've had this issue before in the past. Once I turned down my settings to something my system could handle, it went away. 

Folks,

Do I still need BufferPools entry for P3D? I have this one

[bUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
PoolSize=5000000

I'd run without it...

Nope, don't have any other additions to scenery.cfg except for OPTIMIZER line

Won't help in there. :rolleyes:

P3D is no longer FSX. If the "tricks" are recommended by Lockheed Martin consider them, if not, forget them.

Delete your "prepar3d.cfg" and let P3D rebuild it upon startup. Add the optimize parts=1 line and then don't touch it.

SSD rather than the GTX980.  A GTX780 seems more than capable to handle P3Dv2.5.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe