Sign in to follow this  
neucoas

ORBX AU, opinions and performance

If your thought is to bypass AU because of performance concerns, I wouldn't worry.  AU is such a big region, with vast unpopulated areas in-between those brilliant freeware gems, that you'll easily be able to find somewhere to fly that won't be a concern in regards to frame-rates.  Truth be told, almost every single region has it's performance 'heavy' areas, especially if you turn up the sliders.

I am not really convinced with AU and the fact that if i want to get non-default airport  (like others regions) i have to load my sim with 2 or 3 GB more and lots of library entries.. And it could kill my load times or framerate!

I sound like a girl i know, but a light sim is important for me  :ph34r: As i dont know the region well, if you could suggest 2 or 3 good performance near freeware GA-Airports (LOL) to use as home-base, will be great! Or tell me your fauvorites ones of the region  :lol:

Cheers :)

N.-

I am not really convinced with AU and the fact that if i want to get non-default airport (like others regions) i have to load my sim with 2 or 3 GB more and lots of library entries.. And it could kill my load times or framerate!

Any Orbx region has a ton of overhead in file space and library entries.  The only difference between AU and the other regions is that you have to install some of it yourself.  Which just means that the cost / value benefit is far greater, simply because there is so much freeware.

Also worth noting, is that you (or anyone, for that matter), should always look to actively maintain their scenery library.  When you talk about loading it down with multiple GB's and many scenery entries killing your load times, you should really always look at whether you need all that stuff being loaded.  If you're not actively flying there, disable it in / remove it from your library!

but a light sim is important for me

In addition, not to blast the Orbx products, for so many of them are simply superb, but Orbx products and the phrase 'light sim' really don't often go hand in hand...

A lighter sim approach would be FTX Vector + FTX Global + FTX Global freeware airports.  You could exchange that for UTX + GEX + freeware AFCADS from the Avsim library if so desired.  Magnitudes lighter. ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Any Orbx region has a ton of overhead in file space and library entries.  The only difference between AU and the other regions is that you have to install some of it yourself.  Which just means that the cost / value benefit is far greater, simply because there is so much freeware.

Also worth noting, is that you (or anyone, for that matter), should always look to actively maintain their scenery library.  When you talk about loading it down with multiple GB's and many scenery entries killing your load times, you should really always look at whether you need all that stuff being loaded.  If you're not actively flying there, disable it in / remove it from your library!

In addition, not to blast the Orbx products, for so many of them are simply superb, but Orbx products and the phrase 'light sim' really don't often go hand in hand...

A lighter sim approach would be FTX Vector + FTX Global + FTX Global freeware airports.  You could exchange that for UTX + GEX + freeware AFCADS from the Avsim library if so desired.  Magnitudes lighter. ^_^

I got your point, but Global+Vector is expensive for me and im not interested on it for the moment.  :P

Thanks for posting, I think i will buy AU. Any aiport recommendations?

Cheers :)

N.-

I have almost all Orbx regions and airports (but not any of the global products).  I still find AU to be one of the best scenery packages they have offered.  It is an older product, but the textures are quite good and believable.  I still fly there often.

As for performance, Seattle and San Fran are notoriously hard on frame rates.  Several of the Orbx airports, particularly the large ones (and Cairns) are also hard on frame rates.  The rest of them, and the regions themselves, cause very little if any hit on performance.  There are quite a few of the smaller airports that are very good.  Aeropelican is one of my favorites.  Warnervale, nearby, makes a nice pair.  Caloundra is also a favorite, as is YBUN.  

But get Ant's airports.  Several of them are very good indeed, including the one on the coast, whose name I can't recall, and Boonah, in particular.  You won't quickly tire of his nice little airports.  

Australia gives you a lot of beautiful territory.  

As for the NA regions, PNW is still, perhaps, my favorite, although Northern California is very good indeed.  OzX also makes a set of freeware airports for the San Juan region that are a lot of fun for small light aircraft like the Cub.  Bowerman, a free airport, is one of their very best, and Vashon island and West Wind, also free, are also very nice, so PNW is good in respect of freeware airports as well.  

If you haven't yet, download the PNW demo and Bowerman and give it a try.  

None of this comes without significant cost in HD space, but I wouldn't fly FSX at all if it weren't for Orbx scenery.  So, it's worth it.  

I run AU on my i5 2500k at 4.6gz along with an EVGA  2 Gig Nvidia 770. I used to have OOM issues with YMML and YBBN in my 32bit win pre DX10 fixer days. Now it runs fine though I still turn the scenery complex down a bit for smoothness. Love flying Cairns to Alice Springs in a PMDG Quantas 737. Unlike the US there is little to see inland from the coastal cities. I have the FS Pilots 2010 terain mesh but the free one on ORBX is fine also. Like the prior replies I love flying around AU in the Q400 from smaller airports like Tamworth or from the smaller free OZx airports. I run UT2 instead of the free AI from ORBX. The free one was nice though when I used to use it before getting UT2. After this you have to get ORBX New Zealand for a close by destination :lol:

:P Timothy Murphy