Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

970s in SLI - what's your experience?

But this must be due to a setting somewhere or related to a certain software and/or hardware configuration.

I hate the idea of SLI in P3D being personal :wink:

Richard Åsberg

But this must be due to a setting somewhere or related to a certain software and/or hardware configuration.

I hate the idea of SLI in P3D being personal :wink:

Unfortunately it seems to be :S Did you watch my cloud test vid?

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Now that's scary :wink:

Haven't had the time to check out your video yet but will do when I get home from work tonight. Still though this is with 980s in SLI where I've been considering to get 2 970s so guess what I see in your video won't tell me much how the same thing would have looked using 2 970s.

I guess maybe the best thing I could do after all is finding somewhere where I can get 2 970s and return them if I'm not happy with the result. With all the various results posted and with SLI in P3D being personal I think that might be the only option to know for sure....

Richard Åsberg

i am suppose to get my second 970 today, so i will post my findings,i am gonna try and use robs settings from another post,either way, i play battlefield hardline,battlefield 4 and gta v, so i know i will benefit from that,by what i have read directx 12 and windows 10 will allow 2 videocards to be considered one large videocard, so 2 970's you would have 8 gigs of vram,i know current sli settings is not the case.

Sounds great, looking forward to hear from you once you had a chance to try it out.

Richard Åsberg

my second gtx 970 came today, does it matter which slot the second card goes in a x99-A msi board? it doesnt look like the second card will fit right under the first.

Brett, check your motherboard manual.  My GPUs are staggered and fortunately the two slots are 16X PCI 3.0 ... on an Asus Rampage V Extreme X-99.  Uses a slightly longer 2-way SLI interconnect.  

You'll probably not notice a difference between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 slots and to be honest probably not notice a difference with 8X slots.  

Cheers, Rob.

my second gtx 970 came today, does it matter which slot the second card goes in a x99-A msi board? it doesnt look like the second card will fit right under the first.

I would consult your motherboard documentation to find out if there are any differences between the PCIe slots.

Richard Åsberg

i have it all setup, for some reason i get a nvidia driver stops working sometimes,but with the 2 gtx 970's in sli with everything set on high and a notch above normal with no traffic on my 5820k,the 970 hits about 70% and alternates back and forth between the 2 gpu's with vram running just over 5gb.that was at a default airport with the pmdg 777 with asn and ftx global only, and about 2 dozen payware airports installed, so as far as i am concerned i think it was well worth the upgrade.you can enable an sli graph that shows how well the 2nd gpu has improved performance.it shows a green box on the left hand side of the screen.if the box is small it shows a small improvement, with the box getting longer vertical if you have a large improvement,mine looked to be between a 50-60% improvement in the above settings.in gta v i am able to pretty much max everything out at 60 fps.p3d for me holds about 50 fps for me, but i dont have the bars all the way to the right,the shadows seem to come out much more under sli.if only p3d could get the 64 bit upgrade, we could really get so much more with our current hardware.keep in mind i am running on an ultra wide monitor at 2560x1080,my next purchase will be a full 4k 28 inch monitor, but the budget is broke for me for a bit,i have spent almost 1,600 towards my 5820k and sli upgrade.so yes i think its worth it.the drivers do need to be better adjusted though.i seen a full 4k 28 inch monitor on ebay between 3 and 400 at 120hz,i believe it was a dell.i had my 4k tv hooked up but it ended up on the wall, the screen was just too big and i did not have a way to move it back from me.if anyone has suggestions about the drivers stopped responding, i would like to hear a solution.also because i am using a 5820k over a 5830 i think,i am limited to 28 pci lanes as the next cpu up is 40 lanes,so i am stuck at 8x 8x, with the 5830 or 5930, whatever the next one up is i could do 16x 16x.i am on a limited income so just having this was a big treat.

I'm reading a lot of good and encouraging news here, I guess I'm going to jump in and grab that second 970ssc. Couldn't hurt right???

mine are both asus gtx strix 970's the cooling is amazing on them, not that you play any other games but newegg is offering a free batman game code for steam that hasn't been released yet an additional 3% off promo code on that card and a newegg 10.00 mail in rebate, so in theory i only paid 280.00 for the gpu, and because i live in florida i don't pay tax like on amazon.the regular price is 339.00 i believe.

I've got two EVGA 970 SSC's in SLI pushing through a TripleHead2Go Digital Edition across 3 1920x1080 27" monitors for my ProSim simpit.  Running on a Gigabyte Gaming 5 MB, i7 4790K not yet overclocked, and 8GB DR3 at 1600 Mhz, Samsung 830 SSD for OS and Samsung 840 Pro SSD for P3D.  Windows 7 64 bit.  Just did a clean install of Prepar3d and not using any external NI tweaks, but do have OptimzeParts and OptimizeDenseClouds set to 1 in the cfg. Running the 353.06 drivers.

I was originally running a Titan (which I now moved to another gaming PC), and tested between Titan alone, one 970, and two 970's in SLI.  The  970's in SLI definitely perform better, about 33-50% faster than the Titan or a single 970.  Without any addons yet, performance is quite smooth.  I do get artifacts in SLI, though.  Thin white lines pop up here and there and lightning effects are hideous, same as reported elsewhere.  Also see performance drops when activating the menu as has been reported.  Alt-Enter a few times and it usually clears up.

Tony

Jays2Cents has just released a video benchmarking 970 SLi against Titan X, 980GTi Hybrid and reference 980GTi.  Makes for interesting viewing and answers a lot of questions.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RyNNlKbJw

Someone else mentioned this test as well, will check it out.

Richard Åsberg

Great stuff ,

i have just ordered 2 x EVGA GTX970SC ACX 

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png