Sign in to follow this  
Rens1

PMDG FMC RNAV to Runway

Approaching LFMN (Nice France) from waypoint BORDI the FMC offered the choices RNVB 22L and

RNVA 22L

The first route complies with the latest Navigraph chart;  the second (RNVA 22L) follows an other route.

The FMC of PMDG 777 shows the same choices.

The FMC of the Airbus A320 (Aerosoft) offers only RNV 22L and produces the same route as PMDG 737NGX

RNVB 22L

Both aircraft FMC are updated at the same time with Navigraph FMS Data Manager.

Any opinions on the meaning of RNVA and RNVB

Rens van Doorn

Just to note: Navigraph are a "real source". The chart data comes direct, as-is from LIDO, who are the company that supply chartage (and other facilities) to real airlines all over the world, albeit there is no company-specific data.

LIDO develop the charts, but they only develop the charts which are relevant to their customers (i.e. airlines flying commercial jets). This means, for instance, that CAT A/B procedures are not included -- because you don't need them if you're flying A320s and 737s (and larger). They're just clutter.

Likewise, if a procedure is not required by LIDO's customers, they will not chart it.

Having said all that, I have no idea where the RNVA procedure has come from: I'm looking at the current iRouteManual charts direct from LIDO and there is only one RNAV (GNSS) 22L/22R chart and procedure.

It's taken me about ten minutes to trawl through EAD to find the relevant chart, and I'm not completely certain given all the guff that's packaged up with it but I can't see any alternative procedures in there either.

Which route does the RNVA 22L follow?

We'll disagree on what constitutes are valid source for navigation.

Back on topic, I must have too much time because I compared the LFMN sidstar file with the IAP charts for Cote D'Azure and confirmed that EuroControl does not publish a  RNV A or RNV B approaches.  The RNV B approach mirrors the  RNAV (GNSS) RWY 22L/22R with the same transitions, waypoints and missed approach. I am used to the EuroControl UI so it only took a minute.  I don't have a clue either where Navigraph came up with the RNV A either.  Good question for Navigraph in their forum here: http://www.navigraph.com/forum/

Reference EuroControl file LF_AD2_LFMN_IAC_en.pdf pg 22.

Dan Downs KCRP

The FMC of the Airbus A320 (Aerosoft) offers only RNV 22L and produces the same route as PMDG 737NGX

RNVB 22L

First question: Are you shure that you are using the same FMC Database? Because from default the Aerosoft Airbus X A320/A321 comes with a complete (updatable) database from Lufthansa Data System and on FMC is loaded the NavDataPro not Navigraph Database. In order to use Navigraph you must change database with "Aerosoft Airbus X Configurator" utility.

Assumed that you already did this, I've notice that from Navigraph database for PMDG and Navigraph Database for Airbus X there are some difference also, like different STAR for example.

I thought Navigraph's source was Jeppesen...

The Navigraph FMC data comes from Jeppesen. The charts, however, now come from Lufthansa Systems (previously Navtech).