Sign in to follow this  
james42

Leonardo or Coolsky MD-80 ?

Hi everyone, I'm looking into getting an MD-80. After a bit of searching the best two i can find are the coolsky and Leonardo. I haven't heard much about the coolsky MD-80, but from what i can gather the Leonardo MD-80 is very good on systems but lacking a bit the visual department.  What do you guys think ?

The Coolsky MD80 and the Leonardo both have good and bad points.  The Coolsky looks better, but is an older product with flat VC panels - no 3d gauges.  The Leonardo has better systems fidelity, but the VC is terrible.   If you are going to fly multi monitor, with a 2d panel on the lower, outside on the upper, I'd go with the Leonardo...otherwise, I can't recommend either. 

The Coolsky DC9 Classic is awesome...

Having spent time on an MD-88 Flight Deck, I can say that although the Leo graphics are dated, the real flight deck is also dated.  The end result is that the software model isn't as badly dated as some believe.  It is one of the best looking flight decks at night, even compared to recently produced aircraft.

PM me if you get the Leonardo Maddog.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I agree with Dave, the Leonardo MD80 and the Coolsky MD80 are actually pretty close to the real thing visually. The Coolsky has some flat panels but great performance.

The Leonardo Maddog however is probably the most in-depth product systems-wise you can get today, I compare only to FSL Concorde as far as depth of systems.

Has a working weather radar, simulates icing conditions, proper engine management, hot starts, shared cockpit, you name it.

Another very good option is the Coolsky DC-9, no FMC in it, as it is simulating the original -30 model but the modelling is superb.

I have both and I can say there is no wrong choice. Both are fun simulations of a very complex aircraft. The interactive traing of Cool Sky is preaty neat and guides you through each procedure. Like having an instructor flying with you. I think CS is a little easier on FPS as well.

Vic green

I also have both...bought the Coolsky version first because I wanted a detailed airliner to learn to fly. And Dave himself told me about the Mad Dog, especially about the detailed modeling and the shared cockpit feature (which I have yet to experience).

I love both of them, and it certainly doesn't hurt to own both. Being "vintage" aircraft, they don't have what the new stuff has, but they're fun to fly. And companies like Allegiant are still flying them.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hey Gary!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Ok thanks guys. Given me some food for thought, ill probably make a decision this weekend.  

Hey Gary!

Hi! Dave!  Long time...  We've been here in PA for almost 2 years now, and I still haven't been able to fly as much as I've wanted to. Especially the Mad Dog. I switched to FSX SE, and the Mad Dog still seems to be working.  I'll have to get in touch with you by PM later.  I've been getting the OVPA notices, and definitely want to join in.  But family problems keep popping up, and now my wife needs a hip replacement...does it ever stop?

Talk at ya soon! Nice to see ya on this thread.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi! Dave! Long time...

Great to see you around.

You move from Florida to PA, and I move from PA to Florida. Seems fair (LOL).

Best if you Email me.  Use the Contact OVPA on the OVPA website.

We're not flying the great Maddog too much these days (sadly), traded her in for a brand new, shiny Airbus for our shared cockpit flights.  Well, that and the Dash 8/Q400.

Looking forward to talking more with you!

Dave Hodges