Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Windows 10 and Nvidia Surround

Hi just wondered if any of the testers out there have run it on 3 monitors and encountered any issues in general  pc iuse  and or in fsx?

I am tempted to dive in and try it but a little voice keeps telling me to wait and see .....

Cheers

Steve

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Steve,

I tried it with Builds 10162, 10166, My setup is 3 24s in surround, and a 4th for the break out gauges.  Works fine as long as the 4th monitor isn't enabled.  I think it has something to do with the way windows deals with Different resoultions in windows 8 and 10, because it works fine in Windows 7.  (This is only if you run full screen which I do)

So if you are only running the 3 in surround you should be okay, there were some other issues in FSX under 10 but they didn't relate to the Surround setup.

I am hoping there is a fix so I can run FSX in Full Screen with all my monitors.  (There isn't an issue with P3D 2.4 in windows 10 as far as I can tell, I haven't do much testing on the P3D side)

If it helps you at all, this is my present setup:

4 monitors with three of the same resolution running Nvidia surround on my GTX 780

Windows 10 official release that I installed just a couple of days ago.

As with Win 7, I can stretch the FSX screen in windowed mode over three screens nicely. No discernable loss of FPS from having FSX sized to one monitor on the surround screen. 4th monitor is enabled but only for non FSX screens.

Two BIG differences however from my setup in Win 7 and my present Win 10 setup.

In Win 7 :

1. I could drag an undocked window on to the 4th monitor that was not included in the surround mode and has lower resolution. Window would function normally and properly. However when I try and do that now in FSX on Win 10, the window I drag  to my 4th screen would freeze and my other three monitors would be replaced by the contents of that window. Changing views would be taking place behind that large window but there is no way of seeing them. FSX seems to be still running but the only way to fix it would be to restart the simulator.

2. I used to use a program called pseudo Fullscreen, or something similar from http://ahkscript.org/ to make the surround screen full screen (slightly better FPS and realism) and still able to use the 4th monitor for maps etc. This doesn't seem to work with Win 10.

I have the GeForce GTX version 353.62

But yes, it seems that NVidia Surround works reasonably well in Win 10 although it does still have issues with Fsx 2D screens, similar to Win7 but there are fixes for this.

Hope this helps.​

Thanks all,  have decided to wait a bit longer (not least as I will do a full image back up to external drives before installing so I can roll back if necessary)

Back up takes about 24 hours on its own !

Appreciate your experiences

Cheers

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

What are your experiences with Win10 and Nv surround with the latest driver? I am getting 3-5 less fps in FSX than before with Win7, causing a few more stutters... Can this be related to surround only? 

What are your experiences with Win10 and Nv surround with the latest driver? I am getting 3-5 less fps in FSX than before with Win7, causing a few more stutters... Can this be related to surround only?

It is hard to measure with any degree of accuracy a loss or gain of 3 fps between the two operating systems. I set my limit at 30 FPS. In Win7 as in Win 10 on Nv surround I get within .2 or so of the max with a default ac like the Cessna 172 in a default airport like Seattle. Definitely no change there. I now use Windows Borderless Screen with no discernible loss or gain in fps.

I would suggest you temporarily disable Nv surround and run Fsx on a single screen, windowed. Run exactly the same scenarios later on surround.