Sign in to follow this  
PGspy18

Vectored away from airport?

I apologize if this is a stupid user error, I bought VoxATC a few days ago and have been trying to get it to work without exploding pretty much non stop since. I was flying IFR into KSAN, and it wanted to vector me to the runway halfway through the STAR. Okay, I thought, default FSX atc does this sometimes, it should be fine. Well, then it told me to climb to 9000 feet and turn completely around. I tried asking for different approaches, but all of them told me to go away from the airport. Just to humor it I let it fly until it told me to turn around. went 180 NM before FSX crashed. Why did it send me so far away?

Thats unusal and cant say Ive had the same experience. You can override vectors by selecting " full ILS approach to rwy xx"  when you select (0) in the pop up dialogue box

ZORAN

When flying into KSAN rwy 27 I always request the RNAV approach. That should let you fly the STAR. Then it asks you to report some points during the approach and to contact tower when you're on final.

As for the vectors, I suggest you try with another, ILS-equipped, airport. It could be that Voxatc has some sort of problems vectoring a visual approach at KSAN (I've never tried that, because, as mentioned, I always request a RNAV approach).

It's happened to me as well, but it's rare.  I think (not sure) that it has something to do with how the approach is written.  This is in the airport bgl.  I've looked into this and I did have a discussion with Tegwyn about it some time ago.  He also agreed that it was most likely the individual airport bgl, rather than some problem in VoxATC. 

I think the best way around this is to request an approach (thru the '0' menu) anytime you believe you are getting too far from the field.  Also, you can (and I routinely do) request any approach and that will prevent any vectoring from VoxATC.  You request the approach and then you are told to report certain waypoints along the way, just as noelgallagher pointed out.

Hmmm, now I have a question about requesting approaches.  What is the difference between requesting, for example, ILS RWY13 as opposed to Full ILS RWY13?  They are both always listed in the options menu.  My experience has been that requesting ANY approach removes all vectoring, but I haven't compered these 2 types.  Guess that's my evening plan...

Jay

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display

Hmmm, now I have a question about requesting approaches. What is the difference between requesting, for example, ILS RWY13 as opposed to Full ILS RWY13? They are both always listed in the options menu. My experience has been that requesting ANY approach removes all vectoring, but I haven't compered these 2 types. Guess that's my evening plan...

Requesting ILS 13 will get you there with VOX vectors. Requesting a full ILS 13 means its up to you to get there and you will be asked to make a report when established or 5nm or whatever

ZORAN

Requesting ILS 13 will get you there with VOX vectors. Requesting a full ILS 13 means its up to you to get there and you will be asked to make a report when established or 5nm or whatever

Ok, good to know.  Reason I asked is that when requesting other approaches (RNAV, VOR, LOC) VoxATC doesn't provide any vectoring.

Current Build (02/2024): AMD 7800X3D | Asrock X670E Steel Legend MB | Noctua NH-U12S Chromax | 32gb GSkill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CAS 30 | Samsung 990 Pro 2tb NVMe Gen4 (OS) | WD Black 4tb NVMe Gen4 (MSFS) | Corsair RM1000x Shift Series PS | ASUS RTX 4090 Strix ROG | LG 55" C2 Display