Sign in to follow this  
eelis

What will I need?

Hi

Being in Flight from it's start (over three years) I'am at a point I need (my opinion not my wifes) a new computer. So my questions are: What will I need to consider, backup, copy and download to continue my trip with Flight with new hardware? I want the moving to be as smooth as it can be.

I have all add-on's except Mustang (I have the Red tail version though), some of the planes are from Steam, some from GWFL including main simulation and Alaska.

I ran Flight in 32-bit version and only 2 gigs of internal memory (just enough but not for windowed version), so I'm looking forward to seeing Flight in full glory in 64-bits and with the highest visual settings which were locked to 'only' High instead of Very High.

Also are there any other significant benefits than loading times, for running Flight from ssd compared to hdd?

I know Dovetail is in progress of making a new version from Flight, but that can be a long wait, so don't want to stop flying mean while.

Thanks for your time.

-eelis-

For reinstalling Flight, you can follow the advice by stonelance in this post:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/flight-toolkit.431166/

plus it's worth checking for a more recent version of the flight toolkit in one of the recent posts here. It think it's currently at version 1.1.12

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/468128-flight-toolkit-1112/

Flight is still a 32-bit version, even if you run it on a 64-bit Windows. I think only X-Plane is a genuine 64-bit simulator. But if you install a new OS, it does make sense to install a 64-bit version, as you get a bit bit more memory for 32-bit applications.

Some hardware recommendations: 8 GB memory should be enough - you can always add more later. As for the processor - for games benefitting less from multiple cores, the Core i7-4790K is still one of the best, unless you want to spend much more on a Haswell-E board. If you want to spend less, then the Core i5-4690K offers good value for money, or the even cheaper Core i5-4460. A good middle-class graphics card chip with reasonable power consumption is the Geforce GTX 960, an AMD alternative would be the Radeon R9 280. Make sure that the power supply offers enough current for these and has the right connectors. It's definitely worth investing in a SSD if your budget allows it, as the OS and Flight load much quicker.

Hi eelis.

For Flight, as it exists with the FSX conversion, does very well with an older 32-bit computer with 4GB memory and an average video card.

In the future, Flight will have more graphics and CPU demands as more detailed addons will begin to be made. And I'm sure multiplayer needs a bit more computer to avoid lag.

I have an HP Pavilion p7-1234. It's a lower-end Windows 7, 64-bit computer with 8GB Memory, and integrated graphics (no graphics card). I use Flight adequately with this system. I don't fly multiplayer, but I think I'd have a bit of lag.

Depending on your anticipation of future use, you could get a similar system as mine from a discount store for pretty cheap. You might even be able to go to a used computer store, or Craig's List, and find something like this dirt cheap.

If you anticipate Flight with future addons of greater complexity, flying multiplayer, or looking to the future with P3d, or XPlane in mind, then a beefier computer would be in order, as described in mibmab's post. And Dovetail is going to release a new flight game, probably within a year, so that might need a stronger computer.

Dick

Hi eelis.

One important thing to check for in a used or cheap system is the power supply wattage. You need a PS with at least 450 watts. More is better.

Without a good power supply, you'll never be able to add extra harddrive, SSD, memory, or an updated video card. If you can't find a good, cheap system without the puny 300 watt PS that is common, then factor in the extra cost of replacing the power supply.

Also, buying a system with low memory, small harddrive, or weak video card will probably doom you to that system for a long time. Good intentions aside, almost nobody adds more to their system. They just put up with it until they buy a new system. So what you eventually buy, you'll probably be stuck with it for years. So balance budget and what you want. Good luck convincing your wife.

Dick

Hi

I ran Flight in 32-bit version and only 2 gigs of internal memory (just enough but not for windowed version), so I'm looking forward to seeing Flight in full glory in 64-bits and with the highest visual settings which were locked to 'only' High instead of Very High.

Also are there any other significant benefits than loading times, for running Flight from ssd compared to hdd?

I know Dovetail is in progress of making a new version from Flight, but that can be a long wait, so don't want to stop flying mean while.

Thanks for your time.

-eelis-

Some confusion here....

Running Flight! on a 2GB 32bit system only allows (very simplified explanation) a total of 2GB, including that of graphics RAM to be used.

A 32bit program, such as FSX & Flight! uses a maximum of 4GB, so, in your case, Flight! will use a max of 4GB of your new 8GB PC, with graphics & other stuff using the balance. 

Hope that makes scense.

There are no rumours, as far as I know of a 64bit Flight!

Dovetail IS in the process of developing a new flight simulator, HOWEVER, they say they will be using Microsoft's flight technology. Note the small 'f', so it actually can be any of Microsoft's technology & that includes Flight!

A lot of guys saw the word 'flight' & took it for granted it's going to be Flight! technology.

That may well be correct, as the entertainment side (FSX) has been licensed to Dovetail, & the not-for-entertainment side (P3D) going to Lockheed Martin.

So, the technology of Flight!, FS9 & the Combat sims are left over.

Their lips are sealed!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Graphics memory is no longer mapped into process address ever since they released the patch\update for Vista a long time ago, so a limit of 2GB of virtual address space does not include GPU memory.  This is actually how Flight saves a lot of memory over FSX, because it keeps textures in GPU and doesn't keep a copy in system memory that is taking up VA space but not being used.

I'm guessing the OP was referring to running Flight in 32 bit Windows, and wants to run it in 64 bit Windows, which would give 4GB instead of 2\3GB of VA space.

As far as Dovetail FS Next, I tend to agree.  It would be a bad idea to make any assumptions about what they are planning.

A 32bit program, such as FSX & Flight! uses a maximum of 4GB, so, in your case, Flight! will use a max of 4GB of your new 8GB PC, with graphics & other stuff using the balance. 

Hope that makes scense.

There are no rumours, as far as I know of a 64bit Flight!

Yes, my bad. What I ment was since running my system(windows) in 32-bit I was unable to select Flight!'s graphic level to Very High instead of High, which is now my maximum setting.

I remember reading it from here, that the limiting factor is system (32-bits or 64-bits) if you could select highest graphics level and not the internal memory, in which case I would have increased my memory to 4 gigs.

-eelis-

I think using the 3g switch also works for accessing the maximum settings on 32bit windows

I think using the 3g switch also works for accessing the maximum settings on 32bit windows

You mean adding more memory or adjusting Flight *.cfg file? Are there anyone using Win 32 with Flight and have the maximum graphics level set to Very High or is it called Extremely High? I have only shown  options Low, Med and High.

-eelis-

Hi Folks

eelis -

Overall Graphics Settings -

Only has 3 selectable options - Low, Medium, High.

Custom is displayed if a non-default Sub-section selection is chosen.

Sub-sections,

e.g. Shadow Quality, Sharpness, Scenery Density, etc,

have 4 options - Low, Medium, High, Maximum.

HTH
ATB
Paul

You mean adding more memory or adjusting Flight *.cfg file? Are there anyone using Win 32 with Flight and have the maximum graphics level set to Very High or is it called Extremely High? I have only shown  options Low, Med and High.

-eelis-

Some folks in this old post suggest that by default the max graphics options are not available on 32bit Windows versions.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370861-your-flight-graphics-settings/

And I can confirm this as I'm still running Windows 7 32 - there is no max option in the graphics section.

The post also mentions a 3gb switch, will give that a try...

Sub-sections,

e.g. Shadow Quality, Sharpness, Scenery Density, etc,

have 4 options - Low, Medium, High, Maximum.

In my configuration (Win 8.1 32-bit), there are no Maximum settings, only those  three Low, Medium and High.

And can somebody explain the '3Gb switch'?

-eelis-

In my configuration, there are no Maximum settings, only those  three Low, Medium and High.

-eelis-

I just tried the 3GB switch on my win 7 32 system following these instructions:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-enable-a-3GB-switch-on-Windows-Vista-Windows-7-or-Windows-XP-s.html

And now I have the max options for most custom graphics settings available in Flight, apart from Texture and Weather quality. But setting all options to max, the framerate on my system is quite poor (core-i5 2500 with Radeon HD 7770). Well, I plan to update the system with a GTX 960 and a 64 bit Windows, though I'm not sure if that would bring me much better framerates in max settings.

@eelis: I guess on your system the 3GB switch won't have any effect, as your original post suggests that you only have 2gb RAM in total anyway.