Sign in to follow this  
KLM57

New High End PC for FSX/P3D

Hello all,

I am almost ready to order my new computer, which will be custom made for me by my local computer dealer. I have spent quite some time to find out which components I would like to have. The outcome is a PC, which relies on the latest technology, a brand new GPU and some other fine parts.

I know, that the machine is maybe "overpowered" for FSX/P3D, but I want a PC, which has some potential and "longevity". Of course, there are cheaper solutions possible, but I am ready to spend some money on it. So I would like to ask you experts, to tell me if you want, whether I made some major mistakes in selecting the parts.

Coolermaster - CM Storm Stryker

Intel Core i7-5820K, 6x3.30GHz, oc 4,2 GHz

ASUS X99-Deluxe, Intel X99

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB

16GB Premium DDR4-2800 (4x 4GB QuadChannel)

2 x 500GB Crucial BX100 SSD

750W - BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro P10

Corsair H100i GTX CPU-Water Cooling

Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit

I will at first stay with FSX, but once, when the development shows a clear advatage over it (for me and in my opinion), I will always be ready to switch to P3D.

Many thanks in advance,

kind regards,

Klaus

Kind regards,

Klaus

That looks like a dream machine to me! I'm sure I'll get flak for this, but consider windows 8.1 over 7. Its a hated OS, but its stable and I've found it has lower overhead that 7. And consider a larger power supply if you decide to SLI your GPU setup in the future. P3D has been showing promise as far as SLI is concerned.

I would also second W8.1. It's more stable and runs faster.

That being said, I'm surprised you've not put in a standard HDD in there. You can pick up very good 2TB HDD's for around £60. Majority of applications and ofcourse documents, music etc do not need to be on an SSD.

Check what RAM you want though, I hunted a while for mine to buy the fastest I could get. Maybe checkout some reviews

I run a 4790k with 980 strix with fsx , not migrated to P3D yet.

I think you sould wait for Skylake , i have 5820k, 5930k and 5960X have tested all of them in FSX with Asus Extreme V and 3200mhz mems i prefer the 4790k for Fsx mostly for It overclock better than the Haswell-E.

The 5280 a do bench on single card , the 5930k and 5960X have more pcie lanes perfect for SLI setups.

Many thanks so far!

I assume, that you did not find any major mistake in my PC-setup. It is of course always difficult to come the a conclusion and take a decision, how your future computer should look like. It´s almost like buying a car, but much less expensive :smile: .

About OS: I have reasons to stay with Windows7 and let´s see, what Windows10 will bring. There will be a free upgrade available. Maybe MS is able to build once a good OS ^_^ .

About HDDs: I have no use for such amounts of data. There will be one SSD for flight simulation, one for the OS and other computer programs. Pictures, etc. lie on an external HDD.

About power supply: I will talk to my dealer - it should not be a problem to rise to 850W or whatever.

About RAM: it will be fast and will be a good brand - I´ll check some tests.

About 4970K: yes, this is the other option. But it implies that the whole setup could be scaled down. The 5820K overclocked should have enough power to run FSX with some 20+ fps. One cannot recognize more. And it hase advantages for other programs I use.

About waiting for Skylake: no! I have waited for the GTX 980Ti, and I urgently need a new PC - the old one has reached the age of retirement :smile: .

Cheers and thanks again,

Klaus

Kind regards,

Klaus

About RAM: it will be fast and will be a good brand - I´ll check some tests.

I'll throw in my personal favorite, Gskill. You will be using ddr4, so the flagship trident won't be available, but I've never had Gskill fail. And lifetime warranty.

The 5820K overclocked should have enough power to run FSX with some 20+ fps. One cannot recognize more.

This is one of my pet peeves. The human eye can absolutely notice a difference between 20fps and 40. But in this case, you are correct, a smooth 20fps is so much better than a stuttering 40. That proc should over clock nicely on water, which I see you are getting. Don't settle for 4.2, go for the magic 5.0!!!!

That proc should over clock nicely on water, which I see you are getting. Don't settle for 4.2, go for the magic 5.0!!!!

Then water might not be enough. I am already looking for the best ice machine one can buy :lol: .

Kind regards,

Klaus

Seems like a good machine to me! I second the advice on a bigger PSU.

I know, that the machine is maybe "overpowered" for FSX/P3D

Great system design, except I would go with a 1000 W PSU to future-proof the system better.

The machine is definitely not overpowered for P3d. I have a new GTX 980 Ti 6 GB and I wish that I had a 5000 series CPU.

Seems like a good machine to me! I second the advice on a bigger PSU.

Great system design, except I would go with a 1000 W PSU to future-proof the system better.

I´ll follow your advice and power up the PSU. Just ran a test with a PSU-calculator which showed a consumtion of some 650W. With 1000W I´ll be on the saver side - thank you folks :excl:

Kind regards,

Klaus

I´ll follow your advice and power up the PSU. Just ran a test with a PSU-calculator which showed a consumtion of some 650W. With 1000W I´ll be on the saver side - thank you folks :excl:

i'm looking to do this soon too, but i'm waiting on Skylake and will likely get a pair of 980Ti's for P3D mostly.

Presently I'd recommend 4970K over 5820 - you'll get more bang for the buck with FSX.  it will overclock better and you wont make better use of the 6core using FSX.

The 4970 has been out for over a year or more now, so i'm happy to wait a few more weeks for next gen 6700K which should be out june/july this year, i'm expecting 10% gains over 4970

-rcladin

I'm also tempted to wait on Win 10 at the end of July and forget 7 or 8.1.