Sign in to follow this  
netshadoe

Problem when taxiing with King Air and Cessna Caravan

Here is the problem that I have: When I taxi with default King Air or Cessna Grand Caravan, even when I give very little throttle in order to start moving, aircraft starts to move very quickly and accelerates really fast. When I pull back throttle aircraft starts to decelerate. So when taxiing I always have to give-pull throttle in order to keep moving at constant speed. Did anyone else experienced that kind of problem?What is the proper way to set throttle/prop/mixture in order to taxi at constant speed?I usually fly jets and I don't have any problems with taxiing, also no taxi problames with Cessna SkyHawk/SkyLane, Baron 58...Best regards!!Dubravko

Hi Dubravko,The only thing I can think of is where your condition lever is (the red one). Unlike prop piston aircraft, turbo props are jet engines attached to props.In piston props, the mixture controls the air/fuel mixture feeding the engine, but does not significantly alter the power output at idle.The condition lever does not act as a mixture setting. In turboprops, the condition lever introduces fuel to the engine. The more fuel you give the engine, the faster it runs. The condition lever does not control mixture, so where ever you set the condition lever does not affect the engine in flight. Try it...in the air move the condition lever up and down and notice the engine setting do not change.The condition lever on turboprobs should be left in the low idle position for 99% of operations on the ground and in the air. It prevents the aircraft from getting too fast during taxi!!The high idle position is used to increase airconditioning (which is not a concern in FS9) or to keep the engine spooled up during an approach to a short strip so the reverse thrust is most effective quickly.Check out this link. It has many questions answered about turboprops and hown FS9 models turboprops:http://www.itsnotpersonal.com/fly/mainframe.htmHope this helps.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

I don't fly the default Caravan or King Air, but I had the same 'problem' with the Aeroworx King Air B200. This has something to do with poor modeling of turboprops in FS. In fact, most FS aircraft have a tendency to stay 'glued' to the surface too long, and to suddenly 'break loose' when you increase power a bit more.How I solved the problem is to put the condition levers in low idle and prop levers full forward with the parking brake on, and then gently move the throttle forward until torque starts to rise. I then try to get it settled at around 300 to 400 ft-lb (3 or 4 on the gauge). This has to be done very gently, only just touching the throttle lever(s), otherwise the torque rises too high too fast and the aircraft will leap off when the brakes are released. Once both engines have settled on equal torque values, I release the parking brake and the aircraft starts rolling gently. I never touch the throttle levers again until take off. If I have to slow down or stop, I just apply the brakes.I don't know if the same values apply to the FS King Air 350, you might have to experiment a bit to find the 'sweet spot'.Paul

Guest allcott

If you do a search on sim1.dll on this very forum, that problem can be solved for good!Allcott

I second that motion, night and day difference with that module installed. it even makes jets taxi more realistically

The problem is poor low throttle engine control in the default turboprops. The Flight1 C441 and PC-12 do not have this problem.

Guest Kingair315

> Did anyone else experienced that kind of problem? >What is the proper way to set throttle/prop/mixture in order to taxi at constant speed? The default for Kingair settings, is with the Idle Speed Throttle set to Max... If you pull the main throttle down to the stop. Then, with the brakes off, pull the Idle speed Throttle down about half way, or slightly lower you can have it idling, without your brakes on and it will stand still. IF your Throttle sensitivity and null settings are correct. IE, Null set wide enough, so that there are no speed changes or variations, until you add some throttle. If sensitivity is set, so that the aircraft does not move, with slight movements of the throttle. BUT, then as you add throttle, it spools up, then the King Air begins to move. When you have it set this way... press ; and save it so it loads as the Default settings. I just save it for each aircraft, as -aircraftname. Using the - so that the basic settings are all at the beginning of the menu.This way you can create the ideal settings for each aircraft you fly, and load the settings for each one, instead of choosing it in the aircraft menu.

Sim1.dll from my website below.. now you can taxi as it ment to be.Johan[A HREF=http://jdserver.no-ip.com]Personal Server[/A]A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE!HELP:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=238882

Guest Kingair315

Most complain that they can't slow the King Air down enough or that Taxi speed is too fast. Wouldnt reducing ground friction mean an increase in speed?

Guest allcott

>>> Most complain that they can't slow the King Air down enough>or that Taxi speed is too fast. Wouldnt reducing ground>friction mean an increase in speed?>>Funnily enough, no. The problem is that the friction properties of the surfce are too high, so aircraft need more breakaway power to actually start moving. Once its' moving the power level then is excessive, and the acceleration starts. With the revised sim1.dll the amount of power required to move is less, so the control finesse is greater.Allcott

Guest mberg

I can't access your personal server. Could you send me sim1.dll. also, what folder do you install to?