Sign in to follow this  
CaptCWGAllen

Southampton W2XP UK Pro

I recently watched a Froogle video showing how UTX Europe V2 looks in P3D. In part of it he is showing the Southhampton area. Thought I would compare W2XP UK Pro with payware VFR Photoscenery (objects set ot extreme but great FPS). Slam dunk really. 

https://youtu.be/npIJuJTHOxo

Thanks again Tony for such a great application. (Apologies if this is getting boring but it never ceases to amaze me).

cheers

Peter

PS - really enjoying the new Dreamfoil Embraer 110 now I have it tweaked, the sound is fixed and sussed out how it flies - very rewarding. Just love the sound of those turboprops. 

PPS FRAPS and Movie maker have darkened everything down as ever.

Hi Peter. I'm glad you're still flying around and enjoying the scenery :smile:, a lot of people download the scenery but not many comment about it. I did approach Froogle sometime ago to do a review, but he wasn't particularly interested (In fact I think he's lost interest in X-Plane). At some point I'll get back to work on the GB scenery and try and optimise it a bit more, but I'm still really busy with the European autogen which is a huge amount of work

I'm going to pick up the 110 over the weekend, but so far initial impressions seem positive. 

Looks great. Makes me wonder about buying XP for VFR stuff. I've been flying PMDG's for a year, but wanted to branch out to smaller planes like the twin otter but the cost of scenery is being a bit of an issue. I'm still deciding

Hi Tony - yes still enjoying it very much thanks. Hope all is good with you. Froogle said in one of his recent videos that X Plane is his preferred sim for personal use but that his audience is obviously bigger for the FSX based products and hence he does most of his vids using those products.

Take your time - the GB stuff is stunning as is - I also downloaded the US stuff - makes a world of difference to California (only place I have used it so far). Brilliant. I see you have removed the beaches somehow without having to edit the data refs.

Hope you enjoy the 110 - takes a bit of getting used to but then it clicks (at least for me) and is very enjoyable.

cheers

Peter

Makes me wonder about buying XP for VFR stuff. I've been flying PMDG's for a year, but wanted to branch out to smaller planes like the twin otter but the cost of scenery is being a bit of an issue

You certainly can't go wrong with X-Plane and VFR. The amount of scenery and tools available for free can really enhance this and G2XPL/World2XPlane is a great combination where data is good. Give it some time, learn what is available and be patient (i.e. Don't give up when things don't seem to work) and you won't regret it. 

Take your time - the GB stuff is stunning as is - I also downloaded the US stuff - makes a world of difference to California (only place I have used it so far). Brilliant. I see you have removed the beaches somehow without having to edit the data refs.

Funnily enough, lots of people complained that I did this (It's just a config option I enabled by default). Many users told me they didn't like the beaches, so I simply created an option to exclude them and enabled it by default. You can't please everyone, but if people read the instructions they would realise it's just a config option :smile:

Tony, your stuff does look amazing.

I think the reason so many of us can't get excited about it is the limitations (obviously not your fault) and that it really doesn't and can't apply to so many other major areas of the world due to the "meh" data unfortunately.

I also don't really blame Froogle much.  The FSX/P3D world just continues to hum along with a great aircraft or Orbx release, etc, seemingly every week or 2, which makes for better YouTube channel content of course.

I agree with you there Turbine, I think his market is mostly FSX/P3D, and with a Youtube channel, a lot of it is about views. I can't fault him either, they are the most engaging videos I've found for flight sim. Has has a really good way to keep you hooked till the end. I follow others, like Jacksepticeye who is very in your face boom boom blat kind of style, which is great, but there is no way you can be like that with flight sim, it would just be...out of place. But Pete has a way to keep you watching and I appreciate that.

I guess when I way up FSX and XP, it's that I mostly fly on Vatsim, and if I have time I will get hold of a freeware airport for where I'm flying to/from, if I don't have it already. And mostly I fly events so it's busy. But sometimes you don't, or can't find one, and you do it anyway (like with a virtual airline) and I know that even if the airport I'm flying to/from is default, it still has something. But with XP, I hear I generally have nothing. But the flip side of that is I can probably find the same, if not better, freeware, from XP. So it comes down to effort I guess, at the end of the day. Pre-effort. Since flying is the same, it's the before work. Sometimes I see there is an event going on and need to jump in straight away, in which case, if you don't have scenery for that area, you can be flying in to, or out of, essentially nothing

Horses for courses

Funnily enough, lots of people complained that I did this (It's just a config option I enabled by default). Many users told me they didn't like the beaches, so I simply created an option to exclude them and enabled it by default. You can't please everyone, but if people read the instructions they would realise it's just a config option :smile:

I kind of understand that. Originally I wa so happy the river beaches were gone too but now I kind of miss them. They were at least a helpful marker the river is there for smaller rivers, an effect that I doubt you can replicate without an extremely detailed mesh able to show the slight dip in the terrain where a river is.

Just out of interest, what is that config setting?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

<exclude-beaches>true</exclude-beaches>

Just change it to false