Sign in to follow this  
Martin Connor

RTO and Taxi Problems on FSX

I've always noticed that once pushed back, the initial power required to get the aircraft moving is minimal, but as soon as any braking.or thrust reduction is needed, getting the a/c moving again needs a lot more power.  

I discovered by accident that switching from RTO to Off reset the braking effect, and we were back to low thrust inputs again. I originally thought that it was RTO itself causing the problem, but then I realised the problem occurred even with RTO off, but could still be cured by cycling RTO.

Anyone have a clue if this is a local problem, or is fixable?

Martin

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

Early retiree from UK Further & Higher Education College

Specialized in Computer Networking and early adoption of new technologies.

Interests:3D Design, Scenery Creation for FSX, Photography. Programming.

Anyone have a clue if this is a local problem, or is fixable?

Do you have hardware brakes, or a brake axis assigned?

Kyle Rodgers

I have Saitek rudder pedals Kyle

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

I have Saitek rudder pedals Kyle

Those have caused issues in the past. Unplug them and see if the issue is resolved.

Additionally, if you have them set up through FSUIPC, put the FSUIPC.ini file on the desktop to force it to rebuild a new one in the FSX folder. If it fixes it, then it was a corrupted .ini. If not, put the old .ini back in the FSX folder and overwrite the one it just rebuilt.

There's also this:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/405764-ngx-saitek-rudder-pedals-issue/

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks again Kyle, I'll try experimenting with the pedals when I get home.  I don't use FSUIPC Paid version, so basically FSX and Vista standard.

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

I have no problem running the Saitek pedals directly into the sim (FSX or P3D), in fact I only now use FSUIPC for the VAS remaining logger because I added the Warthog this year and use it to map buttons and various controls.  I have a very small dead zone for brakes just to be conservative and never tested it at different values.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Martin,

I have had the same problem in the past - albeit with a different brand of pedals

I apply brakes and after releasing them, even though the 'brakes' caption disappears it is still as if the brakes are applied.

I resolved it (from memory) by moving the brake axis sensitivity to full and null zone sliders to zero.

I have heard of using the FSUIPC method although I have not tried it.

If you do come across another fix I'd be interested to hear of it. Good luck!

Proved that the problem relates to the rudder pedal usage, but using FSUIPC (Free addition). I can see no evidence of the pedals sending spurious signals.  I'll try Scott's solution tomorrow and hope that cures it.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

I've tried all the options suggested, and no deal I'm afraid, though I did find a new and exciting way of Blue Screening by setting the Rudder Pedals (Saitek) to Bands - 0-100%.  Checked Saitek site for new drivers - download site down -.  Guess I'll just continue trying to taxi without using the brakes.  

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

Guess I'll just continue trying to taxi without using the brakes.

What about bumping the null zone up off of the bottom end? Set it above 0% so that any noise is covered.

Are you using the MS default calibration screens, or are you using Saitek software?

Kyle Rodgers

I've tried using both methods.  What I find interesting is that FSUIPC Logging shows no activity from the rudder pedals when brakes are off, so I am rather discounting noise. I assume that when using the toe brakes, variable amounts of braking should be available.  Since the default B key is either on or off, did this variable braking get included as normal behaviour?  I am guessing that most people find it works ok, but then I lived with it until I realised the effect of toggling the Autobrake switch on the PMDG.  I'm also wondering if my take-off rolls have been excessive due to this drag, which doesn't heat up the brakes as it should.

Going to see if the PMDG 747-400 also does this.

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

No sign of this behaviour from 747-400.  I think I remember reading that PMDG added some modifications to improve ground friction modelling.  Could something derail this with the Saitek Rudder?

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

No sign of this behaviour from 747-400.  I think I remember reading that PMDG added some modifications to improve ground friction modelling.  Could something derail this with the Saitek Rudder?

Again, the Saitek rudder works just fine with the PMDG products.  I have a flight in progress and peeked at my calibration settings (not using FSUIPC or the Saitek SST interface) and my sensitivity is max and null zone is 1 in the simulator.  Only trick was the sense reversal but that is pretty obvious.

Dan Downs KCRP

I had this problem for ages. Fixed with some info from the DCS forums.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control \MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\DirectInput\VID _06A3&PID_0763

Just unplug the pedals before deleting that key, then plug them back in after your done.

Mash the toe brakes to their full extent a few times, same with the rudder.

Last number in the reg-key may be different. For most the last number is either a 3 or 4.

Also look up DXTTweak on google.

Many thanks Patrick,

Deleting the registry entry worked.  Unplugging deleting and replugging didn't quite hit the mark, had to quit out of Profiler and restart it, and also reset the controls in fsx, but in the end the result was a fix.

Regards Martin

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)