Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Circle to land with VNAV

I use VNAV as the pitch and LOC for the lateral part going down the ILS to the MDA circling minima (920)

At 1000 the FMA shows VNAV ALT (MCP ALT SET AT 1000) and when my acft levels off and i enter the MAA the acft then goes back into VNAV PTH and starts to descend?

Vernon Howells

The VNAV wants to continue with the LOC or ILS. It doesn't know you're doing a circle.

You could Alt hold and reset the MCP or wait to reset the MCP on the Missed approach.

Matt Cee

Ok thanks matt.

Would you input the ILS from the DB or just tune the freq?

Vernon Howells

At 1000 the FMA shows VNAV ALT (MCP ALT SET AT 1000) and when my acft levels off and i enter the MAA the acft then goes back into VNAV PTH and starts to descend?

A circle is a hand-flown event, or should be to the max extent possible. If you truly, actually need AP assistance, use ALT HOLD and HDG SEL.

Would you input the ILS from the DB or just tune the freq?

For the procedure up to the circle? Sure, but a circle is an intense procedure a lot of the time, and your primary concern is maintaining a visual on the runway. If you lose the runway, guess where you're going...

Up and out.

Try again.

So, kick off the autopilot and fly. No sense in adding automation where it shouldn't be.

Kyle Rodgers

A circle is a hand-flown event, or should be to the max extent possible. If you truly, actually need AP assistance, use ALT HOLD and HDG SEL.

I'm using automation to the point after the threshold (3 X 100 AGL) and turning to line up with the C/L and i'll disconnect and everything is visual from there!

Vernon Howells

I'm using automation to the point after the threshold (3 X 100 AGL) and turning to line up with the C/L and i'll disconnect and everything is visual from there!

Okay...so what's the question?

Kyle Rodgers

Question was about VNAV and how far you can use this? As i found out only to the MDA.

And also selecting the ILS from the DB to begin the circle to land.

Vernon Howells

And also selecting the ILS from the DB to begin the circle to land.

Why would you need to do this? If you're on an RNAV approach in VNAV, then there's no reason to do this. If you're flying the ILS, you would've selected this well before getting to the point of the circle to land procedure.

Kyle Rodgers

Well i actually mean't the ILS would of been selected during cruise!

Also after i turn downwind the approach goes into the MAP will i need to select the actual runway from the DB i'm landing on?

Vernon Howells

When you are flying a circle-to-land approach get your head out of the FMC, setting runways and other gimmicks and fly the airplane.

Don't mean to be blunt but you'll enjoy the sim much more! Fly the airplane!.

Turn off the FDs and look outside!

Go on Youtube and search "Children of the Magenta".

Also after i turn downwind the approach goes into the MAP will i need to select the actual runway from the DB i'm landing on?

Unless you want the extended centrelines, as Patrick mentioned, and I mentioned earlier:

Head up and out. Fly the plane.

Kyle Rodgers

Edit,

Pointless

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

By the Pros...  There's no other, plausible, way to do it :-) 

Can easily be replicated on PMDG's 777s

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hardy makes a very nice procedures simulator. 

I have two rules about circling approaches.  I don't do them at night and I don't do them when the base leg is downwind. 

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

when the base leg is downwind. 

Don't want to potentially blow through the final to the new runway because of the extra GS you pick up?

Kyle Rodgers