Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Circle to land with VNAV

@Billy:  But, shouldn't the base leg always preferably be downwind, unless you're landing with tail wind ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

@Billy:  But, shouldn't the base leg always preferably be downwind, unless you're landing with tail wind ?

I see your view but consider a crosswind landing, in this case the base leg will be either with tail wind or head wind component.  Anticipating the tail wind component while turning base to final is very basic airmanship taught to fledgling private pilots LOL I see the Navy C-12's doing it all day down the street from my house in Corpus (Navy does not level wings on base, they maintain a banked turn all the way from downwind to final rolling out right on the numbers).  So, along with Kyle, not sure what Billy had in mind.

Dan Downs KCRP

You guys are mixing the location of being downwind of the runway and having a tailwind on base.

Matt Cee

PANOPS and TERPS is used by people for developing approaches and your virtual-boss in making SOPs.

You're flying flight sim. I think you are really taking from your fun by fretting about such things.

Use what the applicable, current approach plate says. Don't worry about TERPS, or DBs, or Vs or, MANPLOPS, or whatever. If the chart says your circling minimums are 600' and 1 1/2 mile vis then that's your minimums.

Fly the approach - see airport - fly airplane - land airplane.

Fly the approach - don't see airport - fly missed approach - go to alternate/back home - have brew with fellow crew member at local establishment.

It doesn't need to be super-space-ship-NASA-precise-super-programmed every phase of flight.

Air China crashed a 767 in Busan because they didn't relize they were confused on TERPS vs PANOPS. It happens.

Matt Cee

By the Pros...  There's no other, plausible, way to do it :-) 

Can easily be replicated on PMDG's 777s

That is a brilliant video, thanks! I've bookmarked all of his on Youtube to watch later.

I love stuff like that.

Edit

I saw it Dave! (and agree) ;)

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

PANOPS and TERPS is used by people for developing approaches and your virtual-boss in making SOPs.

You're flying flight sim. I think you are really taking from your fun by fretting about such things.

Use what the applicable, current approach plate says. Don't worry about TERPS, or DBs, or Vs or, MANPLOPS, or whatever. If the chart says your circling minimums are 600' and 1 1/2 mile vis then that's your minimums.

Fly the approach - see airport - fly airplane - land airplane.

Fly the approach - don't see airport - fly missed approach - go to alternate/back home - have brew with fellow crew member at local establishment.

It doesn't need to be super-space-ship-NASA-precise-super-programmed every phase of flight.

Good point. But its always good to know the regs! Thats if you are interested. But like you say whats on the plate is what you need to know.

Vernon Howells

That is a brilliant video, thanks! I've bookmarked all of his on Youtube to watch later.

I love stuff like that.

Ditto. I learned something new through that video, too.

Don't want to potentially blow through the final to the new runway because of the extra GS you pick up?

Hi Kyle,

It's the old stall-spin caused by aft stick and bottom rudder in an attempt to get back/stay on course. Base being downwind just exaggerates everything. I have no problem with base being downwind in good weather, but a circling approach at night in marginal weather is a different deal.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

It's the old stall-spin caused by aft stick and bottom rudder in an attempt to get back/stay on course.

That brings back distant memories. My instructor had me do these over and over and over....

Dan Downs KCRP

Anyway, I believe the dreadful skid isn't really much of a factor in an airliner like a 744, flown basically feet on floor, rudder inputs being automatically input for coordination unless some system failed....

In gliders, which are th eonly type of aircraft I've been flying for more than 35 yrs, that's another story, and I've seen it happen to seasoned pilots...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

My feet leave the rudders alone after takeoff and until the flare unless we're OEI.

Matt Cee

Having some trouble

I select the landing runway in the APP page, select an extension of 1.5 miles. Then i Go to the LEGS page and select the extension waypoint to the top of the active page. Input a height of 500'. But it won't let me insert 500 ? Also i have a ROUTE DISCO and when i try to close up RW24 and RX24 it says DISCO INSRTD AFTR RC24

Vernon Howells