Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Overlay approaches

My understanding of an overlay approach is when you use the GPS when doing a NPA. Ie the VOR APCH is selected from the DB

But then i found this -

Note: What is an “overlay” approach? If the approach to be flown is not in the FMC database, another approach having the same profile and plan view may be selected.

That note sounds alot different to what i think it is? Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks.

Vernon Howells

That note sounds alot different to what i think it is? Can anyone clear this up?

This is what happens when someone spends too much time in "real world pilot" forums where either the "pilots" don't know what they're talking about, or are poor at communicating it.

Ignore what that person said, honestly.

An overlay approach is an approach that is designed off of an "old nav" non-precision approach. By and large, most of these approaches are gone (or being phased out), in favor of newer procedures specifically developed as RNAV approaches. They were essentially a stopgap between the old style VOR/NDB-based approaches and tailored RNAV approaches: instead of waiting to introduce RNAV/GPS approaches as their own thing, the administration created a "GPS" version by simply using the existing procedure.

In the case of the 737, different airline SOPs require different things when selecting VOR or NDB approaches from the database (often noting that the raw data must be displayed, and the waypoints/path display on the ND is for situational awareness). If an RNAV approach is available, though, then that should be used (again, most airline SOPs will state that the "most precise" option be used, and RNAV is more precise than VOR/NDB).

This is an example:

gps_overlay.jpg

Note the "[Old Style Nav] or GPS." This is an overlay. Everything else is a dedicated approach.

Kyle Rodgers

I got that NOTE from a PDF on smartcockpit.

Thanks for that explanation and a bit of history learning there.

Vernon Howells

I got that NOTE from a PDF on smartcockpit.

Weird. It sounds so very...awkward as a note. Then again, SmartCockpit has some odd stuff up there because it can't be the actual, licensed stuff.

Kyle Rodgers

Yeh exactly, weird! Thats why i brought it on here.

Well, thanks for doing that, and sorry for assuming it was another PPRuNe pull. I'd assumed someone was responding directly to one of your questions like that...

Kyle Rodgers

Haha no worrys!

If your doing a VOR apch out of the FMS do you need the navaid to be seviceable?

Vernon Howells

If your doing a VOR apch out of the FMS do you need the navaid to be seviceable?

Yes, and it should be displayed, too. The loaded procedure should be used for secondary reference only.

Think of it like an ILS. You can load the ILS and use the data on the ND for cross-reference, but the actual approach is flown off of the raw data. The GPS data for the fixes can be used in lieu of DME, or cross radial data, however, so that additional data/reception is not required.

Kyle Rodgers

Haha no worrys!

If there is no reference to GPS in the approach title than yes, the navid needs to be operational and the raw data needs to be monitored.  An overlay approach will have "or GPS" in the approach title, for example "VOR or GPS RWY 27".  If that is the case the navid does not need to be operational because the approach can be flown by GPS alone.

VOR RWY 27 - the navaids must be operational and monitored

VOR or GPS RWY 27 - the navaids do not need to be operational.

I'd have to check but I'm almost certain both examples would only show up as VOR 27 in the FMC database so you need to look at the approach plate to determine if you need the navaid or not.

Well that sounds right joe ;) well of course you are the pilot !

Does the NGX or the NG fly DME arcs or RF legs ?

Vernon Howells

Well that sounds right joe ;) well of course you are the pilot !

Does the NGX or the NG fly DME arcs or RF legs ?

The real plane can fly RF legs.  It's been a long time since I've flown an ARC and have never tried it in the 737.  I'd have to look and see if the ARC transitions are coded in the database.  If they are then the plane could fly them.

I don't know if the NGX can do it.  I don't think RF legs are supported.  You can always fly a poor man's arc by putting a circle around the navid on the fix page and use that to guide yourself around while monitoring the DME raw data to keep it legal.

Cheers joe its okay don't worry! All my addon airports don't have those arcs so i'll never do it.

1 other thing i just watched a 737 NG video on youtube they were cruising at FL400 but on the ND during descent they had T/D-FL260 why did they renter another cruise ALT

Vernon Howells

why did they renter another cruise ALT

They didn't. They had a FL260 crossing restriction at NOS01 and the T/D is saying where the plane will continue the descent from FL260.

The plane will do DME arcs, as well, you just select the correct transition if it's available. I've done them in Korea quite a few times and in Mexico, as well. I don't think I've done any in the US in the 737.

Matt Cee