Sign in to follow this  
Staffan

Game or Sim?

Guest Gordius

I have just been involved in a very lengthy discussion with regard to the question is MSFS a simulator or a game. I have told him that it is a sim of course but he still believes otherwise. I know I don't need to tell you what it is and he has already heard from me. What do you think game or sim? :-) Heeeeeeelp(BTW if unsure trust me it is a simulator).Andrew Brownhttp://www.gordiusfs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Guest B Bjorkman

This is simple, what is it called?

I like the first reply which mentions the key word--entertainment. One thing I don't think of when I think of MSFS is the word "game". That the title appears in the games section of many stores is simply because it doesn't fall under most other niches that stores use to categorize software. Visit some stores however, and sims and traditional games are sold now as "entertainment software".In broad terms, I view a game as something with a goal, something to win. MSFS isn't that, unless you consider the goal of getting off the ground and back to earth safely. It's not really sold that way.Add to that, when you sit in some of the more advanced add-ons, without a doubt you are in a simulator almost down to the sweat and stress. Still entertainment, but certainly there's a different objective than something like MYST.There's certainly many different answers, but in the strict sense I don't think MSFS is a game. -John

I agree with Mike. Depends what you do with it. It's a sim for me, and much more actually: my development work, limited as it is, has introduced me to a number of fascinating people all over the world, some of whom I have met personally and who have become good friends.Andrew, if I'm not mistaken, FS is now at a level of sophistication where part of your real/world IFR flight training can be undertaken on a computer and can qualify as such; 10 hours, if I recall. I'm not a pilot, so someone will probably correct me; but if I'm right, that makes it a sim!Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

I feel it is a Simulator, but some little troll will probably come in here and tell me I have no right to offer an opinion. :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest bobsk8

I fly Real aircraft, I have also flown sims that Airline Pilots and Military Pilots use to train on for both fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft, and I do not see a big difference in those sims and what Fs9 is capable of presenting to the average pilot. Some folks would get in a 27 million dollar 767 motion sim and call it a game... I wouldn't, but that's me....

Easy this one.It is a Game. Even Microsoft places it in a default folder named "Microsoft Games".If you want simulators, you can find that in PS 1.3 by Aerowinx, or Elite simulations, where the head issue, like in real Level-D simulators, is to simulate aircraft systems. And not scenery, mesh, autogen and wingviews. ;-)Fly safe, Staffan AhlbergSweden/Stockholm/ESSAhttp://www.scandicair.com/images/dc9_banner.jpg"I will come and cut your lawn for a high quality DC8-63 system"[/color]My specs are:Dell Dimension 4600 P4/3.0 Ghz1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)128 Mb ATI Radeon 9800 ProOmega 2.5.58DirectX 9.0cW XP Home with SP1E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"240Gb (2x120) 7200rpm HD

Staffan

Depends on how you use it.I use it very seriously as a sim 99% of the time-and it has been a seriously great help thru all of my real ratings...A game when I fire up an aircraft that I know nothing about, and fly it thru the middle of a downtown metro area.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest Gordius

So far you seem to be echoing my thoughts. There is a saying "all things to all people" which does it for me. I particularly enjoyed your comment Bobsk8.Andrew

Sim!JimCYWG

Without a doubt, it's much closer to a sim, than a game. I think it really falls into the same category as other entertainment titles such as, war sims, like Sid Meier's Gettysburg, etc. What this means, is that everything is faithfully recreated to real life as much as possible.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest panda234

I'll go with the "it's how you use it" camp. I started out using it as a game and now think of it more as a simulator. billg